Weighed down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighed down

Dizziness was my first symptom and I have been dizzy every day for years. I have been told by several doctors that nothing can be done for CNS dizziness. I also have IBS, insomnia, burning feet and many other MS related symptoms. I have been dx with high blood pressure which has damaged my heart, retinas and kidney. I was been prescribed 2 different meds at first and now the doctor wants to add a third. All three have side effects of dizziness and fatigue along with an array of other unpleasant side effects. I feel like I have no choice because I don't want further damage or a stroke but it is so difficult to keep taking medicine that exacerbates my already miserable symptoms and adding even another.

I have really good health care here in Italy despite the language differences (I do speak Italian though not exactly fluently). I get second and even third opinions about my health issues. I know that I have to take these meds but I don't know how to not feel weighed down by the problems with side effects.

Hi loopey. Glad to hear from you. I am sorry it is a stressful time.

I dread medications which list dizziness as a side effect or drowsiness. I am really susceptible to both.

I guess the first question would be if there are any alternative medications that don't have that side effect?

If not, have you asked if there is anything that could help with medication induced dizziness?

Have you ever tried vestibular therapy? It has helped me. Some people also use other alternatives, such as accupuncture, psychotherapy, yoga to help.

Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I had horrific continuous dizziness for many months near the beginning of my MS.

A physical therapist with training in vestibular therapy was able to give me exercises to retrain my brain to tolerate the movements that triggered my dizziness.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I've been thinking about you a lot lately Loopey. Your posts are almost identical to mine. I wonder if you also have Costochondritis and ringing in your ears? My IBS has been waking me up at night (when I actually fall asleep, which is rarely) and I am bloated and feel gassy and constipated until I need to use the bathroom. This all happens together and quickly. It also causes me to wake up with chest pains. UGH!

Do you ever plan to come back to the states? I think I told you my mother was born in Palermo. Dad's family was from Calabria. I'm so sorry you are having a bad round.. again. It never ends does it?

Thinking of you often. Hang in there.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I wrote a reply yesterday and it did not show up. Thank you for your replies. I have tried vestibular therapy and unfortunately it didn't work for me. I am going to try meditation and acupuncture. I had acupuncture before for the dizziness. It didn't help the dizziness but it improved my balance significantly.

My reply yesterday was longer and I wonder why it did not show up today?

Comment

Originally posted by loopey View Post
            I wrote a reply yesterday and it did not show up. Thank you for your replies. I have tried vestibular therapy and unfortunately it didn't work for me. I am going to try meditation and acupuncture. I had acupuncture before for the dizziness. It didn't help the dizziness but it improved my balance significantly.

My reply yesterday was longer and I wonder why it did not show up today?
            Hi loopey ~

Sorry to learn that you wrote a longer reply, which never showed up.

I don't know the cause, and hopefully that doesn't happen again. Be sure to let us know if it does.

We value your membership, and continue to look forward to your posts.

PS ~ Good luck with meditation! It has helped me with mental focus, and also with the relaxation response to reduce anxiety/nervousness. This, in turn, benefits other symptoms, such as lessening spasticity.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
            X