Smoking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking question

I live in a state where smoking is legal. So I’m curious how it plays into this disease. I’ve tried good old dr google, but if I looked hard enough I’d be able to find pages claiming smoking cures every disease ever and makes you live to be 100. So I don’t really take most things on there seriously.

For me it’s a life saver. I’m trying to not drink again since I was waking up and going to work still (we will just say a “tiny”) bit drunk. So since I have my dream job I decided to stop. Plus the pills plus alcohol led to some blackouts and nice fights with my husband.

I’m basically just curious as to what effect if any this has. this plus my pills (all legal and prescribed to me) help me get a good 8 hours of sleep . 12 sometimes when I have the day off. But it’s not like I have conventions, or concerts, or the fun work trips I used to get to go on anymore.... yay corona (not really)

Please help me understand. Are you asking us to give reasons to help you justify the use of cigarettes to manage your disease?

If that's your question, I'm unable to help you with that. I could list many good reasons to quit smoking.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I’m not talking about cigarettes: I’m trying to keep this “kid friendly” but since smoking marijuana is legal where I live I guess I can say that is what I’m talking about. I only smoke cigarettes at concerts and I haven’t had one of those in 11 months.

Comment

That stuff can make you paranoid , or add to underlying paranoia. Some can handle it and some can’t. I can’t. Just a hunch but did you use to be Daisy Cat ?
        It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Paranoia isn’t a concern for me. And what’s a daisycat? I just wanted to know if it messes with this disease and it’s looking like it doesn’t so that answered my question.

Comment

For anyone interested, here is a link to the nmss website regarding cannabis. Medical grade is different than home grown or bought outside a licensed medical marijuana dispensary. It may have some risks.

​​​​​

Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Kathy,

The link you provided doesn't work for that topic. Hopefully, this one does:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Tr...Marijuana-FAQs

"The guideline notes that cannabis usage, as with any therapy, may result in both potential benefits and potential side effects. For these cannabis derivatives, the most commonly reported side effects were dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty concentrating and memory disturbance. The guideline also points out that the long-term safety of cannabis use for MS symptom management is not yet known."

Originally posted by someone33 View Post
              I just wanted to know if it messes with this disease and it’s looking like it doesn’t so that answered my question.
              It is worth noting the cognitive effects of cannabis that were mentioned. That can make any decline in cognitive function worse. This is a common symptom in MS. More than half of patients with MS will develop problems in cognition.

Read more here ~
              https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...nitive-Changes
              Last edited by KoKo; 10-19-2020, 03:59 AM. Reason: poster request
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks Kimba. It is strange. You can get to the article by clicking on marijuana faqs, but it placed the main link to the nmss page. I will have to look into why.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpride View Post
                  That stuff can make you paranoid , or add to underlying paranoia. Some can handle it and some can’t. I can’t. Just a hunch but did you use to be Daisy Cat ?
                  I think this is daisycat too.
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post

It is worth noting the cognitive effects of cannabis that were mentioned. That can make any decline in cognitive function worse. This is a common symptom in MS. More than half of patients with MS will develop problems in cognition.

Read more here ~
                    https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...nitive-Changes
                    So far I don't have any issues with cognitive function. For me it is mostly about helping me sleep. Its the one thing I have found that helps.

Comment

I've heard, from someone very close to me, that cannabis helps tremendously.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                        I've heard, from someone very close to me, that cannabis helps tremendously.
                        I know it helps with my insomnia. Had it since I was a child and nothing ever helped. So I’m thankful that I live somewhere where it’s legal. I enjoy actually getting a good nights sleep.

Comment

Working...
                        X