Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you share your experience with a stair lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you share your experience with a stair lift?

Nervous watching my wife navigate the stairs. Looking into a stair lift. Are they safe? Ballpark on cost for straight up stairs? Rent or buy? Are they long lasting? After purchase customer service? Anything at all you can share, both pros and cons. Thank you.

I have a stairlift on my stairs to the finished basement. The straight run was about $4,000 for a Bruno stairlift. There is a landing where the stairs turn and go down 3 more steps. I was quoted about $20,000 for one that would make that turn and go all the way to the bottom.

I was able to go up and down those few steps ok for several years. When I couldn’t do that any longer I had a separate stairlift installed from the landing to the bottom. I’d ride down to the landing, stand and pivot, sit on the other one and finish the ride.

They need batteries replaced every couple of years. One was damaged by a power surge, and incurred a $500 repair. That’s the only issue I’ve had.

Comment

Kmallory1, thank you for responding. That was a good idea just adding a separate lift to the bottom. We have just started checking and it seems the prices are all over the place for the same fifteen feet. Haven’t had anybody come out yet. We are considering rental, not to save money, it’ll probably cost more after a year or so but to avoid hassles. If it breaks, no rent until it’s back working again. Another solution is to move to a one story dwelling but Ang loves the home and if we decide to stay I’ll probably be posting for walk in tub or converting tub to shower. thanks again.

Comment

Have you considered gettng one second hand like from Ebay or Facebook Marketplace? I know on there they are much cheaper. We were looking on there to get one for me to use to get to the basement. Those we were looking at were around $700. Some were really like new!

Comment

Curley, thank you for responding. I never thought about used. I am not a good handyman so I usually don’t buy used. Did you buy one used? Any problem getting it installed? Did It last?
          Again, thank you and I will check out used and if I do get one I will let you know.

Comment

Working...
          X