Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Study

From the National MS Society

New Study: Regular Exercise Helps to Maintain Brain Tissue Volume in People with MS

In a study of 153 people with MS, those who regularly engaged in physical activity maintained brain tissue volume in an area of the brain linked to learning and memory, compared with people who did not regularly exercise. This study adds to the growing body of evidence that exercise has many benefits for people with MS. Physical activities and exercise are options for ALL people with MS, regardless of disability level - learn more about specific recommendations and helpful videos.

In this study, participants underwent imaging scans of various regions of the brain. They also completed questionnaires assessing the frequency of strenuous (e.g., jogging), moderate (e.g., fast walking), and mild (e.g., easy walking) exercise for periods of more than 15 minutes per week during an individual’s free time.

People whose scores indicated regular activity maintained tissue volume in a region of the brain called the “hippocampus,” which is associated with learning and consolidating memories. Those people who did not regularly participate in exercise tended to have lower hippocampus volumes.

The National MS Society recently convened a group of experts in the fields of MS, exercise, rehabilitation, and physical activity to review available studies and develop recommendations for healthcare providers who can advise individuals with MS at all disability levels. Learn more.

The COVID-19 pandemic makes some exercise goals difficult to achieve. The Centers for Disease Control provide some advice for overcoming barriers to increasing physical activity.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Ab...Maintain-Brain
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Thanks KoKo! My first two neuros pushed exercise to the best of my ability each visit.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      My first two neuros pushed exercise to the best of my ability each visit.
      Hi Kathy

Exercise to the best of one's ability is an important point.

To some, the word 'exercise' brings up thoughts of sit-ups, push-ups, jogging, and other things that may not be doable for many of us with MS.

I'm glad that the article uses the term 'physical activity' several times because that is the bottom line - to move our bodies, (or arms or legs) in whatever ways we can, on a regular basis.

Exercise Tips for MS, from the National MS Society:

Stretching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yd-...zMq1IqZXA7E_zN

Aerobic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N9N...A7E_zN&index=2

Breathing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x94S...A7E_zN&index=3
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My neuro and my functional medicine doctor also push exercise. During the first months of COVID, my exercise was close to non-existent and my mobility declined. I have restarted exercising regularly. I'm hopeful that I'll regain what I've lost.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
        X