COVID-19 DMT Risk TABLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID-19 DMT Risk TABLE

The million dollar question: “AM I AT INCREASED RISK OF #COVID19 BECAUSE I AM ON A SPECIFIC DMT?” Prof. Gavin Giovannoni has tried to capture his thoughts in a table that is now embedded on the MS-Selfie microsite.

I haven’t been able to post URLs here before, so it is on my profile or GOOGLE the MS-Selfie microsite.

** COVID-19 DMT Risk TABLE
    https://tinyurl.com/uj84qsb

** Moderator's note - URL added to post. It is within MSWorld guidelines. **
    All the best, ~G

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
    The million dollar question: “AM I AT INCREASED RISK OF #COVID19 BECAUSE I AM ON A SPECIFIC DMT?”
    Thank you! I've been wondering about that. I thought Copaxone (Glatiramer acetate) was an immunosuppressive. But it is immunomodulatoy. It's good to know that it is in the low risk category.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thank you gargantua. I am surprised ocrevus is intermediate and not high risk. Makes me feel a little better.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

...and stay vigilant too...

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        Thank you! I've been wondering about that. I thought Copaxone (Glatiramer acetate) was an immunosuppressive. But it is immunomodulatoy. It's good to know that it is in the low risk category.
        I was happy to see it too Mamabug. Things are becoming a little bit clearer. Of course, there is still much we don’t know about CORVID-19 so need to continue taking care of ourselves and others.

An interesting thing I learned from this table was about “viral shedding.” On a high level it is the process wherein our bodies overcome the virus and the levels of viral debris we release are reduced to the point where we are not “infectious.” There are a couple of interesting notes about that in this table PER DMT as well.
        All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
          Thank you gargantua. I am surprised ocrevus is intermediate and not high risk. Makes me feel a little better.
          Yes. Even a very general, organized risk assessment is helpful. It’s not the whole picture, but I do hope they continue updating this resource with proven information.
          All the best, ~G

Comment

Tocilizumab

I read today that they are considering Tocilizumab as an antiviral treatment for COVID. Sounds like some of our meds ending in "mab."

Comment

Originally posted by KatW View Post
              I read today that they are considering Tocilizumab as an antiviral treatment for COVID.* Sounds like some of our meds ending in "mab."
              Here is a thread that explains meds in "mab." I know I always wondered how they came up with the names!

https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...nding-mab-mean
              Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

It's my understanding that Tecfidera is an immunomodulatory medication not immunosuppressant as indicated on this table.

Comment

Working...
                X