Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you in self isolation or social distancing amid Covid19?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you in self isolation or social distancing amid Covid19?

Are you making changing in your daily lives amid this worldwide virus?
    With more and more news of businesses, schools and restaurants shutting down, our lives are being affected more than ever.

Are you staying home more?
    What ways are you keeping busy while at home?

Or are you practicing social distancing while out and about?
    How have your shopping experiences changed?
    Going to the gym, churches, Dr appts?

Maybe we can help each other by sharing our experiences and ways to keep each other safe!
    Last edited by Seasha; 03-16-2020, 10:21 PM.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Definitely changes. Not self- quarantined, but limiting outings. I did hit the pharmacy and grocery store today for a limited number of things.

Schools,rec activities, Gyms, eat-in restaurants/bars, hair salon, movie theaters, many other businesses here are closed. 2 of the 4 malls in the area closed entirely. We have state liquor stores - they are closing tomorrow. You should see the lines for that!

Our church is closed too - they held a virtual service Sunday. Closed at least thru March. All activities cancelled.

No visitations to senior or other group homes. No communal dining or activities in these homes. No hospital visitation. Exceptions granted for those residents and patients that are terminal or critical.

I actually received notifications from my urologist and gynecologist that for upcoming appointments, if we are exhibiting any symptoms please reschedule.

Even the county/state parks where I live have closed down the hiking/walking/biking trails.

The charity I volunteer with is open, at least the food bank part. But since I have been coughing for a long time, plus on Tysabri, I have not been volunteering.

I am taking the time to do something I have been putting off: weeding out paper and digital files, likewise old photos and digital ones. I am debating signing up for an online language course.

And the old stand bys - puzzles, books, card games.

Finally, trying to make sure I call a few elderly neighbors every few days to see if they are ok and if they need anything.

Thanks for starting this! Will be interesting to see responses.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi Seasha,

I mostly stay at home anyway. My church canceled services and the Pastor is giving his sermon on facebook.

I still go to Dr. appointments but not any shopping except on the internet. My DH does the grocery shopping. We both do social distancing and washing our hands.

I read, play internet games, watch TV. I clean house and cook.

I pray this ends soon.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Yes; a.lot of intentional self isolation.

- Our church was cancelled yesterday. We stayed home and watched another cancelled local church live stream their service to their online congregation.

- I cancelled my writing group, which was scheduled to meet at my house Sunday evening.

- I plan to avoid group exercise. Hopefully, I'll be motivated to exercise at home instead.

- I cancelled a non urgent appointment this morning.

-. Mostly, my husband already does our grocery shopping.

- My daughter and her family cancelled a visit to us that was planned for next week.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Going to work everyday but trying not to go anywhere else. I'm bringing my lunch in and have already committed to a 24 hour fast should I forget it. Gyms are closed, no Jiu Jitsu so I guess I can try to get some yoga in.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Like many of you, so much has been shut down in Washington state. I'm grateful that I live in a remote country setting.

Luckily, we have spring like temperatures, so I've been out in my yard and gardens. Doing a lot of paper filing, weeding out old photos, reading, calling friends (we are all in the over 65 age group) to check on them.

Yoga class cancelled, so I've been doing that at home.

My daughter and family were to fly to Hawaii tomorrow, but they canceled at the last minute. They are super sad, but I am relieved. I will continue to babysit on a limited basis.

We live in strange times. But, we're all in this together!

Comment

I'm trying to isolate myself, but the family won't cooperate. My mother is still going out to eat daily (or at least she was until tomorrow when the restaurant ban kicks in), my son is still getting together with groups of friends several nights a week, and my daughter keeps traveling from the major city in the next county. And then they all hang out here.

I've tried discussing my concerns with them, but they're in the group that thinks "it won't happen to me". My mother considers it an infringement on her rights, my son thinks his friends are all "safe", and my daughter just isn't thinking at all. She has pets at home, and I'm worried with the ever-changing rules that she's going to wind up stranded far from home with no way to reach her animals.

In general, I think our rural area will be much better off just because of the distances between us, but I'm still concerned, particularly about the 2 elderly men who live on either side of me. Neither one of them gets many visitors, so I don't know if they have support systems if they get sick.

For financial reasons (his, not mine), my son will be moving in with me sometime over the next few months. It'll be great having him home again for a while, but do I want a lot of additional people traipsing through my house while we're dealing with an unknown situation?

Comment

I have been limiting going places. I do have to go to work. I work for an OPWDD agency in New York. They just approved for us emergency telehealth so we can still provide some services like social work and psychiatry to help those we serve. Luckily i have my own office and i can limit the contact i have with people.

My fiance has been doing all the shopping and running around to limit me being in public. Although he could bring it home, it still gives me a little buffer.

Everything around here is shutting down. Not a bad thing to limit gatherings however grocery stores have not slowed down with people going in. It's crazy how all supplies are flying off the shelf.

I'm supposed to get married in three months and i'm starting to get nervous it won't happen We waited 8 years to finally plan and set a date all to maybe needing to cancel. Trying not to let stress creep in but it's getting more difficult each day!
                Dx March 2018; possible first episode: August 2011
                Tysabri May 2018-June 2019, Mayzent July 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post

We live in strange times. But, we're all in this together!
                  It sort of gives me a feeling of solidarity to read all of your posts. Many of us have had to give up activities that we don't want to. But, we do it for the health of the community and for our own personal health. Yes; we're all in this together.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    ...and ways to keep each other safe!

Hey Seasha!

Wow! Glad I read the thread, had no idea that was why the parking lot at the State Store was SO busy. Thank you Pennstater! Also happening in the commonwealth; we are apparently selling a lot more guns.

About doctor appointments; Has anyone reason to believe that most or all non-major or cosmetic surgery is being postponed or even rescheduled? I do, just curious.

I live alone. Little outside activity. The two or three places I go to are now closed. So yeah, I'm practicing social distancing. I am using the phone more.... friends in City are going through a rough time. I'm sure our members will tell their own stories.

I am enjoying warmer days and plan to get out the trekking poles and practice on the drive leading to the access road. I need to get the rhythm down and practice can't hurt.

However, I think the best thing we can all do is practice patience, or any of the other virtues. Can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by NoraS View Post
                      For financial reasons (his, not mine), my son will be moving in with me sometime over the next few months. It'll be great having him home again for a while, but do I want a lot of additional people traipsing through my house while we're dealing with an unknown situation?
                      Nora I'm sorry your family is not cooperating. Your post alarmed me in regards to your son's actions and his plan to return home for awhile. This is JMHO, but you have every right to put down ground rules before he moves back home. This is your home! Sadly we are facing challenging unprecedented times and he needs to take this more seriously.

Jennaly Hopefully in three months time we will see more normalcy as we try to keep this spread of virus under the "curve". I know this is so important to you - maybe you will need to push that date further down the line, but I hope not!

And Jer, yes practicing patience is the key!

Thanks for all your replies and stay healthy and safe!

Comment

As others have said, our restaurants and business have closed. Drive thru's are open at fast food.

My Dr's appointment was canceled. closing for two wks.

My daughter works for a dentist and she is home for two wks.

I have a elderly neighbor that I and dh check on.

Yes, we are working together and I hope we are praying together to stop this virus.
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

I've been practicing social distancing and isolation during the cold and flu season for several years now, ever since I had contracted a bad virus.

My MS symptoms became really awful.

I couldn't move my arms and legs, I had terrible nystagmus (everything that I looked at kept going from left to right, over and over again, at a rapid pace), couldn't hold bladder/bowels, couldn't even sit up.

I had to have my younger sister take care of me, as I couldn't do anything for myself.

After I recovered, I became a full blown germophobe.

So I am not really doing anything different, except for bugging the heck out of my sister (who helps me with stuff) to wash her hands often, keep distance from others, etc.

Take Care
                          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Kind of?

I also tend to be very cautious, since my first exacerbation was after getting the flu. I always get the shot, but still practice extra-special hygiene this time of year anyway.

On Saturday I went to a coffeeshop, which I usually do to get some work done on weekends. I was suddenly unsure if I was not being cautious enough, but then I watched what people were doing and were NOT doing and realized there is a lot of panic.

I've been torn about whether to stop going places (even grocery shopping because there are not many small stores where I live now), but I also know that I will suffer psychologically if I have to sit alone in my apartment for the next 3 weeks.

Yesterday, the governor made announcements about shutting eat-in at restaurants, gyms or other such establishments, and cancelling all concerts and sporting events (most already were). So that pretty much leaves me at home.

I had an ultrasound of my abdomen (not urgent, really) and the annual mammogram scheduled today. Mammography rescheduled for June. I suspect the ultrasound might have if I had told them it wasn't urgent. My psychologist has changed to telehealth, and my music lessons can be changed to Skype if I wish. I'm thinking I'll go tomorrow (it's just me and the teacher), but I might change my mind for future dates.

What have I done to stay sane? I bought a used digital piano (because I'm out of practice, and that always entertained me when I was home sick when I was young.... it got me through 2 weeks of chicken pox!). And I decided I'm going to take a walk at least once a day, as long as the weather is okay. Just heard we might have snow again, though ....

I've been trying to check in online or by text with people I know will be positive - sharing ideas about being creative at home (crafts, art, music, cooking). And I'm cleaning and organizing my apartment. Today is only day 2. Cabin fever is going to be a big problem, I fear.

Comment

I forgot to mention that our Governor is very proactive in dealing with the crisis.

He is imploring everyone over 60/65 yrs of age and those with health/medical conditions to stay home as much as possible for the next few weeks.

Also, if you must be around other people, assume that they are carriers of the virus and keep at least 6 feet away from them.
                              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                              X