Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those who've had Optic Neuritis, how bad is your eyesight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those who've had Optic Neuritis, how bad is your eyesight?

I have hadd ON 4 times. It's left me with a permanent blurry spot in the corner of my right eye. I wear glasses with extra magnification where the spot is, but it doesn't help. Usually, by nighttime, my eye is cloudy and I have a hard time reading.

My job has me at my desk, staring at a computer for 12 1/2 hours, 3 days a week. Last night, while at work, my eye got cloudy early (usually doesn't happen til around 10 or 11pm). I couldn't read what was on my screen. Had to get night shift person to sign in early so I could shut down. Today, it's blurry, it hurts and is watering non stop. I never know when to alert a doctor and when not to. I know the 1st step will be an MRI. I just can't afford to keep having MRI's that usually show nothing.

Does anyone else have permanent eye dammage? Would you notify your neuro opthomologist?

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
    I have hadd ON 4 times. It's left me with a permanent blurry spot in the corner of my right eye. I wear glasses with extra magnification where the spot is, but it doesn't help. Usually, by nighttime, my eye is cloudy and I have a hard time reading.

My job has me at my desk, staring at a computer for 12 1/2 hours, 3 days a week. Last night, while at work, my eye got cloudy early (usually doesn't happen til around 10 or 11pm). I couldn't read what was on my screen. Had to get night shift person to sign in early so I could shut down. Today, it's blurry, it hurts and is watering non stop. I never know when to alert a doctor and when not to. I know the 1st step will be an MRI. I just can't afford to keep having MRI's that usually show nothing.

Does anyone else have permanent eye dammage? Would you notify your neuro opthomologist?
    I’ve had ON for about 20 years. I do have permanent damage in my right eye after the last flare. Initially I went totally blind in that eye, but now I can “see” with it. I don’t see any color, contrast is low and reading is very difficult. There’s no correction that works in terms of a prescription, except glasses that help a bit with glare.

Kitty, the reason I got to this point was partly because of not seeing a neuro opthamologist earlier on. It does sound to me like you are having a relapse and should nip this phase in the bud. This is your vision. Sending good thoughts.
    All the best, ~G

Comment

MRI? Maybe.....

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
      I’ve had ON for about 20 years. I do have permanent damage in my right eye after the last flare. Initially I went totally blind in that eye, but now I can “see” with it. I don’t see any color, contrast is low and reading is very difficult. There’s no correction that works in terms of a prescription, except glasses that help a bit with glare.

Kitty, the reason I got to this point was partly because of not seeing a neuro opthamologist earlier on. It does sound to me like you are having a relapse and should nip this phase in the bud. This is your vision. Sending good thoughts.
      Hi Kitty, my last post was too hasty and I want to add something you might already know. You mentioned you know you’ll need another MRI. Maybe the neuro opthamologist has imaging tools that can tell them if you’re having demyelination on your optic nerve. They may look at that first and then determine whether an MRI is necessary.

I do hope you are doing ok and that this is just a reminder to be vigilant. 12 hours is a long time to be looking at a monitor for sure.
      All the best, ~G

Comment

Today, it's blurry, it hurts and is watering non stop.
        kittysmith

Does ON cause watery eyes?

Could possibly be an eye infection?
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          kittysmith

I said that my eyes were crying for many years. Now I wonder if that is a symptom of wet macular degeneration which is the worse kind.

I have had what I call eye oddities for 25 years. If you are having an attack of optic neuritis you can take a round of steroids to slow/stop the attack and halt further damage. I never had an MRI for optic problems.

I am weary today so I hope I said everything clearly. Good luck but call your neuro ophthalmologist!
          "Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Currently on rituxan

Comment

Good point

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
            Hi Kitty, my last post was too hasty and I want to add something you might already know. You mentioned you know you’ll need another MRI. Maybe the neuro opthamologist has imaging tools that can tell them if you’re having demyelination on your optic nerve. They may look at that first and then determine whether an MRI is necessary.

I do hope you are doing ok and that this is just a reminder to be vigilant. 12 hours is a long time to be looking at a monitor for sure.
            That's a good point. I am on my 3rd 12 hour shift in a row, so I'm wondering if it's fatigue. Could also be the heat or the allergies, but, it's only in my right eye. I have the next 3 days off, so maybe I'll rest tomorrow and see how I feel. It scared me last night when it got blurry so early in the evening and has continued to bother me today. I am leaving work early tonight so I can rest as much as possible.

Comment

watery eye

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              kittysmith

It's only my right eye that waters. I have a feeling its just trying so hard to focus that it gets worn out.

Comment

I had ON a few yrs ago. My eye site started getting better after 2 wks. I did not take any steroids.

I hope your eyesight gets better soon.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Update

I have an appointment tomorrow with the neuro opthamologist. I'll find out if I have ON again. I've had it 4 times before this. I've always had blurry vision. This time, I've had terrible pain around my orbital bone and it hurts to move my eye. I would bet my last dollar, if I could afford to, that I'm in a flare. Trying to be positive. Thanks for your responses. I'll let you know what I find out.

Kitty

Comment

I have an appointment tomorrow with the neuro opthamologist. I'll find out if I have ON again. I've had it 4 times before this. I've always had blurry vision. This time, I've had terrible pain around my orbital bone and it hurts to move my eye. I would bet my last dollar, if I could afford to, that I'm in a flare. Trying to be positive. Thanks for your responses. I'll let you know what I find out.

Kitty
                    Thank you for the update, Kitty.

Good luck tomorrow.

Take Care
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Good luck Kitty.

I have only had it once, at least I have been told I had it. I never remember they type of blurry vision like people described, just bad pain behind the eye. It was also when I had severe vertigo, so maybe I did have it and couldn't tell the difference!

Hope all goes well with the appointment.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

You all are the best.

Thanks for the good wishes. It is what it is. I'm just gonna do my best to remain positive, even if it is confirmed. I spent the weekend worrying and afraid. Life's too short.

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes. It is what it is. I'm just gonna do my best to remain positive, even if it is confirmed. I spent the weekend worrying and afraid. Life's too short.
                          Hi again Kitty. If you have it, be glad you went in. You will have done something to control the damage, or if they say to wait and see, then you’re still doing something about it. Spoken from hard experience, and sending peaceful thoughts to you and yours.
                          All the best, ~G

Comment

I feel stupid

Thanks for all the support. After a 4 hr visit to the eye clinic, I was told I had dry corneas. So, all I needed was eyedrops. I guess the dryness contributed to the damage already in my right eye. I'm fine. No IV steroids!

Comment

Thanks for all the support. After a 4 hr visit to the eye clinic, I was told I had dry corneas. So, all I needed was eyedrops. I guess the dryness contributed to the damage already in my right eye. I'm fine. No IV steroids!
                              That is great news, and a relief for you, kitty!

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                              X