Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK folks how do I adapt to the new normal of not being able to stand due to pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK folks how do I adapt to the new normal of not being able to stand due to pain?

Disclaimer here: I do have fatigue insomina and extreme issues with heat over 70 degrees drats due to MS. However, I have had low back issues from 40 yrs ago when I hurt my back. I have had 5 back surgeries starting with L 3 then stopping at S 1 many yrs ago. Been on pain meds and tens unit together off and on to be able to stand at all. (meaning even getting to the bathroom right next to bedroom.) Some days not to bad others can't stand to even dress.!!!!!! On my last nerve pun intended. Three weeks ago I gave up & gave in to the extreme level then pain scale (normally never a quiter).I began going to Chriopracter, Stem Cell tomorrow and neuro surgeron in two weeks as I no of no one else to try. Chrioprater too expense cause about $5000 to $7000 one treatment and may take two not covered by insurance!

Stem Cell in am about same and again not covered by insurance. Not sure if canidate yet. May have to sit in chair on side of interstate ramp in ice vest and umbrella to afford procedure.

At this point, I have no idea if I am going to be able to get this sorted out or not. Having this issue once a week or every few weeks is VERY VERY different to having it almost daily ( in ability to even do laundry cook or change the sheets). Note: I (due to much therapy from abuse issues in childhood) learned I view myself as a human doing not a human being. I KNOW this about myself and AM "trying" to change that view however at 72 in a few days it's proving to be difficult.

I think and especially "feel" guilty asking those of you how you deal, overcome or adjust to you being in a wheelchair either partly or all the time. I have had to use cane and or be in wheelchair several times to get into therapy ( I could drive just not stand up to walk). I feel as if being in the wheelchair due to MS is somehow acceptible/reasonable/new coping is a process ( however sad and annoying that may be). However, due to the back pain it is unreasonable to ask my body and especially others (dear very reasonable accepting spouse) to believe me when I say I can't take the pain and can't do the things I once did.

How do you come to accept your new normal? I am feeling very very mad I just can't do it. I have as I said had over the years, 5 surgeries, therapy numerous times drugs and tens unit, Radio Frequency Ablation (they burn the nerves to discourage the pain pathway to brain/one scheduled next friday-they don't work every time yuk). No woe is me Eeyore style just trying to come to grips with what if anything else I could possible to. For me quality not quantity of life is the key.

How did / do you adapt without being just ticked off. Thanks to all that respond,

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

5-7k for a Chiropractor visit seems a bit steep. The Chiropractor I see charges 27.50 for an adjustment. That's no insurance either. I've been in there and had an adjustment, ice and tens treatment and a massage for 60 bucks.

I can understand your frustration but I have no experience I can pull from to offer an opinion. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Thanks for reply

It involved all x rays consultation, stretching maching, adjustments and some weird kind of appliance you lay on that adjusts patient on it's own plus heat and stem. The program started 3 x per weeks for several weeks then 2 x per week for several and then 1 time per week and stem/ temp & adjustments so took quite some time. But driving and on fixed income and results not quarenteed I don't think so. Plus had about 20 patients on machines and he acted more like insurance salesman *no offense to any out there*. So I passed. Am quessing the same will be true in am. Will advise.

Comment

I am sorry to hear that you have extreme pain each day. If a candidate for stem cell and insurance is an issue, see if the doctor would help you fight it.

I can't advise on how to adapt. But pain is real. You shouldn't feel any different having to use a wheelchair or other devices for back pain versus MS as the cause. They can both be debilitating.

Wishing you success in finding treatment and relief of some pain.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by jkforrest View Post
          I think and especially "feel" guilty asking those of you how you deal, overcome or adjust to you being in a wheelchair either partly or all the time. I have had to use cane and or be in wheelchair several times to get into therapy ( I could drive just not stand up to walk) ...

How do you come to accept your new normal? ...

How did / do you adapt without being just ticked off. Thanks to all that respond,
          I'm sorry, too, about your daily pain; I can't imagine. I've never heard of a chiropractor charging so much. I hope you can find some other treatment that will be helpful.

In response to your question about coping with cane / wheelchair needs. I started, about 18 months ago, using a cane when I leave the house. I could often get by without it, but there are times when I need it. Going down curbs, walking on uneven ground, etc are challenges that my cane helps me to manage. I decided years ago, as I viewed elderly people who sometimes resisted using a mobility device long past the point where they could have benefited that I was determined to not be too proud to utilize assistance when I needed it. I've not ever regretted that decision. I've also found some unexpected "perks" to using a cane: people (both acquaintances and strangers) just seem to be more courteous and helpful. That doesn't embarrass me at all; I'm grateful.

For years, I've occasionally used a W/C when I've been in a situation, activity or event where I needed one. Places like airports, zoos, museums. At this point, I can't walk more than a block or two. But, even years ago, my walking was limited to 20 minutes, then 10, then 5, etc. Those locations often have W/C's to borrow. Now, I also have my own power chair. We purchased a used one for $150 (probably a $2000 chair). I used it once in a parade, once at a state fair, I take it when we vacation at my daughter's because they like to go on a lot of walks, etc.

I guess accepting my new normal isn't always easy; I absolutely wish I was healthier and more mobile. But, accepting use of a cane or a W/C to deal with my new normal has never been an issue for me. The way I look at it -- what's the alternative? Just never go anywhere, or remain seated the whole time? They are tools that help me; I'm not going to refuse help.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Could I ask

You to try one more prescription drug? Skelaxin or its generic. My wife takes it with very good results. You can take up to four a day so have you physician write it for four. Most insurance plans won’t cover it for seniors but the good Rx price will be around $90.00 a month. The

Every once in awhile my daughters lower back will bother her and my wife will give her a few pills and she calls it a miracle drug.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X