Selma Blair shaved her head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selma Blair shaved her head

While I'm grateful for any publicity this disease can get I'm left wondering what the heck is going on.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
    While I'm grateful for any publicity this disease can get I'm left wondering what the heck is going on.
    What I found from googling:

"She has undergone a radical new treatment to help her deal with the debilitating effects of the disease.

Posting a photo of her totally bald head on Instagram, Selma shared an update on her health, revealing that she has to steer clear of intimacy for the next few months because of her weakened immune system."
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks KoKo.

Not that it is anyone's business I guess but when it is put out there, especially by someone with means, it makes me wonder if I'm missing an amazing new treatment.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        Thanks KoKo.

Not that it is anyone's business I guess but when it is put out there, especially by someone with means, it makes me wonder if I'm missing an amazing new treatment.
        Jules

It appears, from what I've read, that she'll share what the treatment is at a later date.

She must be on a super strong immune suppressant since she can't be very close to people for three months.

Take Care
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I read on another blog that she has undergone HCRT with Dr. Burt from Northwestern. Her MS appeared very aggressive, so that was probably the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
            I read on another blog that she has undergone HCRT with Dr. Burt from Northwestern. Her MS appeared very aggressive, so that was probably the right decision.
            ru4cats

That would explain the immune suppressant, since the bone marrow is wiped out first, before injecting the stem cells.

http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/stem-cells-know/

We'll have to wait, though, to know for sure what her treatment is.

Take Care

Comment

Thanks for the information and link. I certainly wish her the best and since she has been open about her journey so far I hope she will continue to share more information regarding her treatment so others might benefit as well.
              Anonymous

Comment

That should be HSCT, not HCRT. Should have hit “the google” first. Sorry, but I’m sure everyone knew where I was heading.

Comment

Originally posted by ru4cats View Post
                  That should be HSCT, not HCRT. Should have hit “the google” first. Sorry, but I’m sure everyone knew where I was heading.
                  No problem ru4cats. I didn't even notice, and knew right away that you were referring to stem cell therapy.

Take Care

Comment

We understood, Kris, but thank you for correcting it to HSCT. I'm sure this is what Ms Blair underwent because she posted last June HSCT was her intention but soon thereafter removed her post.

My last post in the Charcot Project thread was about Selma having HSCT.

It will be interesting to see if HSCT soon becomes more widely available and/or if an age limit will be a consideration.

Although I have not checked prices myself, the price of HSCT overseas appears to be somewhere around $50,000 (see Charcot Project last post).

Surely, the US cost must be in the area of a one year or two cost of our approved DMTs. Will insurance eventually get on board to save money. Oh yes, I believe so!

Prediction... within 5 years HSCT will be approved and insurance companies will quickly support it as a method to treat MS effectively at a reduced cost. JMHO.

Comment

I don't have any comments, really. But ..., following.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                      X