Wife needs assistance getting out of bed at night and first thing in AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife needs assistance getting out of bed at night and first thing in AM

It seems she has trouble getting to a sitting position. She is a side sleeper and she tries pushing herself up using her arm, makes progress then falls back down. She eventually makes it but maybe there is an easier way or an assitive device that I am not aware of.

Thank you

Originally posted by robert152 View Post
    It seems she has trouble getting to a sitting position. She is a side sleeper and she tries pushing herself up using her arm, makes progress then falls back down. She eventually makes it but maybe there is an easier way or an assitive device that I am not aware of.

Thank you
    Hi robert

Try googling bed rail assist, or bed assist rail - also try bed trapeze assist.

I had the same problem, along with the inability to lift my legs up onto the bed.

Now I sleep in a lift recliner, which solved both issues for me.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

The bed rail helps a lot. Mine just slips under the mattress. I use it getting in and out of bed but still need my husband’s help.

There is also a strap that attaches at the foot that looks like a rope ladder. You pull yourself to a sitting position using it. I don’t have the core strength to make that work.

An adjustable bed that raises the head to a sitting position like a hospital bed would be an option, but an expensive one.

Comment

KMALLORY

Doesn’t it interfere with changing the sheet?

Comment

Doesn’t it interfere with changing the sheet?
          Visualize a closed capital "U" shape. Then bend it at 90 degrees at the middle. One side slips between box spring and mattress, the other stands vertical at edge of mattress allowing a good rail to grasp.

Unit is held in place by mattress weight + person, yet easy to slide in and out. Probably tubular steel or reinforced aluminum.

There are probably more involved / complex products available.

Comment

We take the rail off every morning because it makes the bedspread bunch up if you don’t. My husband lifts the side of the mattress and it pulls out. The part that holds it goes between the mattress and box spring. It’s a portable travel rail that comes apart to fit in a suitcase.

You’re really supposed to attach a strap to it that goes all the way across the box spring and attaches to the bed frame on the other side. We didn’t do that and haven’t had any problems with it moving around.

Comment

Thank you

Koko, kmallory and 502E79. We are going to give the rail a try. We can afford a hospital bed but I think it is over kill for such a relatively minor problem.

Thanks again

Comment

Koko, kmallory and 502E79. We are going to give the rail a try. We can afford a hospital bed but I think it is over kill for such a relatively minor problem.

Thanks again
                Good luck to you, Robert and your Dear Wife, and hope the rail does the trick!

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

Take Care
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Working...
                X