Stupid Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Legs

I've had issues with my legs (possibly RLS, but idk if it could be something else) for a while now, but today they are really bothering me. They feel really, really uncomfortable (and it's not even night time), kind of achy pain almost. I feel the urge to move them or clench/unclench my calf muscles, etc but none of that really seems to help.

I've tried a course of ferritin supplements in the past. Last time my ferritin was checked it was actually lower at 28, but my doc hasn't talked to me about that yet so I don't know if that's "too low" or not. Currently I'm on gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Not sure if it's not a good med for me, or the wrong dose. I'm leery of other medications though and weighing the options of dealing with this discomfort vs. risks of meds. My next appointment is in a couple of weeks or else I'd be calling my doc about it.

Frustrated and annoyed.

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
    I've had issues with my legs (possibly RLS, but idk if it could be something else) for a while now, but today they are really bothering me. They feel really, really uncomfortable (and it's not even night time), kind of achy pain almost. I feel the urge to move them or clench/unclench my calf muscles, etc but none of that really seems to help.

I've tried a course of ferritin supplements in the past. Last time my ferritin was checked it was actually lower at 28, but my doc hasn't talked to me about that yet so I don't know if that's "too low" or not. Currently I'm on gabapentin 300mg 3 times a day, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Not sure if it's not a good med for me, or the wrong dose. I'm leery of other medications though and weighing the options of dealing with this discomfort vs. risks of meds. My next appointment is in a couple of weeks or else I'd be calling my doc about it.

Frustrated and annoyed.
    Hello ElemteacherPK6

Sorry to learn that your legs are still causing a lot of discomfort.

I'm wondering if leg stretching would give some relief?

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Possible Spasticity

Elem,
      That sounds a little like spasticity. That is very common with MS unfortunately. It can become very uncomfortable. I ran into that with my shoulders,forearms & calf muscles where they become real tight. They can treat it with muscle relaxers and they seem to work well, but it is just another med to add to the list. Baclofen and tizanidine are usually the first choices but what works best from what I heard (Neurologist included!) is medical marijuana! Doctors orders I have a card in Pa. but to be honest I have not tried it.
      That particular symptom with me is directly related to stress...I found that out the hard way. Do what you can to get a head of that one because it can become very bothersome, But it is very treatable also!
      Bob
      dx 2000...Avonex 2000...
      started Ty 2006 stopped Ty 2008

Comment

Thank you both!

Originally posted by FlyerFan View Post
        Elem,
        That sounds a little like spasticity. That is very common with MS unfortunately. It can become very uncomfortable.
        I've started to wonder if it could be that. How would I/doctor tell the difference? Sometimes they do feel kind of tight, but not really at the same time. Unfortunately, I don't think medical marijuana, while technically legal in my state, has been legal long enough in my state to really be an option for me (especially with my career as a teacher).

Thanks for all the info!

Comment

That sounds a little like spasticity. That is very common with MS unfortunately. It can become very uncomfortable.
          Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
          I've started to wonder if it could be that. How would I/doctor tell the difference?
          ElemteacherPK6

Along with the symptoms that you describe to your neuro, spasticity could be discovered during a neurological exam, with findings such as increased resistance to passive stretch, or muscle–tendon hyperreflexia (found when doctor taps knee, ankle with reflex hammer).

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

A late response -

Elem,
            That sounds a little like spasticity. That is very common with MS unfortunately. It can become very uncomfortable. I ran into that with my shoulders,forearms & calf muscles where they become real tight. They can treat it with muscle relaxers and they seem to work well, but it is just another med to add to the list. Baclofen and tizanidine are usually the first choices but what works best from what I heard (Neurologist included!) is medical marijuana! Doctors orders I have a card in Pa. but to be honest I have not tried it.
            That particular symptom with me is directly related to stress...I found that out the hard way. Do what you can to get a head of that one because it can become very bothersome, But it is very treatable also!
            Flyer Fan

I'm in CA and have been using medical MJ for spasticity and sleep for about 7 years, usually vaping before going to bed. It isn't as effective as Tizanidine for spasms, but unlike T, med mj doesn't knock me out.

Comment

Working...
            X