Toenail fungus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toenail fungus

My big toenail has developed a fungus. It's been there a few weeks. I thought it was an infection of some kind. It hasn't gone away, but not really getting worse either.

I don't want to go to a doctor or use antibiotics. In reading, I've figured out that's probably what kind of infection it is.

There are lots of suggestions online : white vinegar, ACV, borax, baking soda, tea tree oil, etc. I'm beginning to try some of them.

Have any of you successfully treated it naturally? What worked well for you? How long until it was effective?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Me

Tea tree oil worked for me. I did go to podiatrist. He was going to prescribe cream, I told him don't bother I would use tea tree oil. He said good, that stuff is better then the creams. It does take awhile, though.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I did all that natural stuff. Had it lasered and filed it down, cut it all the way back. Fought it for about 13 years then one day I showed it to a nurse practitioner and she prescribed me Turbinifide, it's an antifungal, not an antibiotic. It worked, fungus free for a few years now.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Been Battling Fingernail Fungus

for over ten years...... My first attempt I used white vinegar which made it worse. The fingernail lifted up from my finger and still remains lifted but not as bad.
        I used tea tree oil (all my GP would prescribe as she says I am already on so many meds). Years ago it burned when I used it. I've start using it again and I have seen some improvement. I dilute it by placing a drop of it on a cotton ball that has been covered with water.
        Two dermatologists gave me two different sample prescription liquids to use - neither of them worked.
        They both are very expensive and insurance wouldn't cover either of them...
        I got the fungus from doing some gardening and dirt got under my fingernail.
        Hope you're able to successfully cure it. I don't know if there's a difference between toenail fungus and fingernail fungus.

Comment

Thanks everyone

So far, I'm trying a twice daily foot soak in warm water with Epsom salt, Borax, baking soda, vinegar and tea tree oil. I try to treat it with tea tree oil an additional time or two.

I hope it helps.

I'm scheduled to get a pedicure in a week or two. That will cover it up until the ugly nail grows out.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
            ... I dilute it by placing a drop of it on a cotton ball that has been covered with water.
            That's a good idea for the tea tree oil; I might try it.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              That's a good idea for the tea tree oil; I might try it.
              Didn't work for me.....good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                Didn't work for me.....good luck.
                What didn't work for you?
                - using tea tree oil?
                - or diluting it with water and using a cotton ball?
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

What didn't work for you?
                  - using tea tree oil?
                  - or diluting it with water and using a cotton ball?
                  Tea tree oil, several ways, full strength for months on end. Even with a totally trimmed and sanded down paper thin toenail.

The antifungal knocked it out.

Comment

Sorry it didn't work for you. My twice daily foot soak includes more than just tea tree oil.

I want to give natural cures a try first. I've read that they are more effective than meds, and that the meds are real hard on the body, especially the liver.

I'll see how it goes.
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Sorry it didn't work for you. My twice daily foot soak includes more than just tea tree oil.

I want to give natural cures a try first. I've read that they are more effective than meds, and that the meds are real hard on the body, especially the liver.

I'll see how it goes.
                      Totally understand. Hope yours isn't as stubborn as mine was.

Comment

Did you use the lotion or a pill?

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                          Did you use the lotion or a pill?
                          If that was a question for me, it was a pill.

Comment

Yup

it was question for you. Thanks for replying!

Comment

Hello Mamabug, I just read you functional medicine post and I read you are still having trouble with toenail fungus. My podiatrist told me to use Vicks Vapor Rub. She said it could take up to 6 mos. to a
                              year. I have been treating my toes for about 2 months and I can tell a difference in the color but no where near well.

You are doing a great job with your functional medicine.
                              God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
                              X