Traveling with sharps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling with sharps?

This June will be my first time flying with injectable medication (Copaxone in my case). I know to keep it in my carry on, and I plan on bringing the prescription label with me. Do I really need to get a letter from my neuro? I know she'd be willing to write one for me, but I'm so busy between then and now that it may be hard for me to pick up (office is fairly far from work so not sure I can make it there after work to pick up before it closes). I can work something out if it's needed of course, I just thought that maybe it wouldn't be needed. I just don't want to have any problems with my travel! I'll be flying domestically (staying within the USA) so no customs or international laws to worry about.

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
    Do I really need to get a letter from my neuro? ...
    I'll be flying domestically (staying within the USA) so no customs or international laws to worry about.
    I travel with copaxone. Although we usually drive, I've flown 4 or 5 times. I also pack it in my carry-on and bring along a Rx label.

I've never had a question about it; they have never even looked at the Rx label. All of my flights have been from the US to Canada, and have involved one or two layovers in the US ( so, multiple TSA inspections). Customs and immigration hasn't even batted an eye.

I even take a ziplock bag full of unidentified supplements and I've not been questioned about those.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
      I've never had a question about it; they have never even looked at the Rx label.
      I even take a ziplock bag full of unidentified supplements and I've not been questioned about those.
      Same here and never, ever had a problem! Might be wise to bring the rx label along.
      Safe travels
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
        This June will be my first time flying with injectable medication (Copaxone in my case). I know to keep it in my carry on, and I plan on bringing the prescription label with me. Do I really need to get a letter from my neuro? I know she'd be willing to write one for me, but I'm so busy between then and now that it may be hard for me to pick up (office is fairly far from work so not sure I can make it there after work to pick up before it closes). I can work something out if it's needed of course, I just thought that maybe it wouldn't be needed. I just don't want to have any problems with my travel! I'll be flying domestically (staying within the USA) so no customs or international laws to worry about.
        Have them email it to you.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I've flown domestically multiple times with Rebif syringes in my carry-on luggage with no problem. Just bring the prescription label with you. Also, check out this needle clipper on Amazon...….less than $10. I use a sharps container at home, but a needle clipper is great when traveling and lasts for years!! Check out B-D Safe-Clip Insulin Syringe Needle Clipper....says "insulin" but works for MS syringes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
            I use a sharps container at home, but a needle clipper is great when traveling and lasts for years!! Check out B-D Safe-Clip Insulin Syringe Needle Clipper....says "insulin" but works for MS syringes too.
            I don't use a sharps container, even at home. We have to pay to dispose of them. I also us the B-D Needle Clipper. I re-cap my syringes after they are clipped and dispose of them in the trash.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Thanks everyone! That puts my mind at ease. I also have the needle clipper already (though I usually just use the sharps container at home since my pharmacy sends me one), but it may be much easier for travel. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X