Speech issues or normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speech issues or normal?

In the past couple of days I've noticed I've been doing some stumbling over my words occasionally. I've also had a couple times of "repeating" words as I'm trying to talk (such as "Sh, sh, she, she) like a stutter. I'd imaging people could notice, but it's not severe enough that people are likely to think I'm having a stroke or something. I'm not sure if I'm actually having speech problems or if this is just the normal level of people occasionally struggling with words especially when tired or stressed. I've had time spans like this in the past as well.

One thing that made me wonder if this could definitely be related is that I've been re-noticing some of my other possible symptoms lately. Some vague, mild dizziness/vertigo (not sure which it is), even while lying down. Some feelings of being just every so slightly wobbly during certain movements (turning a corner, walking through a cluttered area). Some pinched nerve type feeling, mild pain in part of my arm/hand. All very off/on throughout the day.

It's not enough (not new, not worsening) to make me think "relapse", but more like what I hear about people talking about with exacerbation.

Any thoughts on the speech thing? Could I be just overthinking a normal occurrence? I know no one can tell me for sure, but it's helpful to get perspective. Thanks!

Sometimes I have trouble with word finding so I do kind of stretch out the first couple of letters of something I am trying to say. But generally, I don't have speech problems. But I believe I've seen other posts about this problem.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Occasional, minimal difficulty with word finding isn't all that uncommon, especially as people age, but a new onset stutter would push me to get an immediate evaluation.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        Occasional, minimal difficulty with word finding isn't all that uncommon, especially as people age, but a new onset stutter would push me to get an immediate evaluation.
        Thanks so much for your reply! I'm 30 years old and this isn't necessarily new, as I've had it happen before (and have mentioned it to my neuro), but more a recurrence. Since it's not a constant stutter (just happening here and there) and it's happened before, I'm just making note of it to bring up at my next appointment in July. If it gets worse, I'll definitely call sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
          Thanks so much for your reply! I'm 30 years old and this isn't necessarily new, as I've had it happen before (and have mentioned it to my neuro), but more a recurrence. Since it's not a constant stutter (just happening here and there) and it's happened before, I'm just making note of it to bring up at my next appointment in July. If it gets worse, I'll definitely call sooner.
          I hope everything resolves quickly! Please keep us posted.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Hi,
            One relapse in my early thirties robbed me of the ability to speak altogether for a few days and then i sounded drunk for weeks. I lose words all the time now i'm spms - worse if fatigued.
            but when i was rr it wasn't as noticeable . only if i believed i was relapsing.
            Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by ElemteacherPK6 View Post
              Could I be just overthinking a normal occurrence? I know no one can tell me for sure, but it's helpful to get perspective.
              My body and all it can or cannot do is reevaluated constantly. MS, IMO, means an increase in self awareness but NEVER to the extent of becoming anxious.

So step back and separate your emotional response to a preception (overthinking). A clarity will result and will be beneficial as you recognize over time what is happening and what isn't.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
                Hi,
                One relapse in my early thirties robbed me of the ability to speak altogether for a few days and then i sounded drunk for weeks. I lose words all the time now i'm spms - worse if fatigued.
                but when i was rr it wasn't as noticeable . only if i believed i was relapsing.
                Hope this helps
                I think I read that David Lander had this experience also.
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                  My body and all it can or cannot do is reevaluated constantly. MS, IMO, means an increase in self awareness but NEVER to the extent of becoming anxious.

So step back and separate your emotional response to a preception (overthinking). A clarity will result and will be beneficial as you recognize over time what is happening and what isn't.

Jer
                  Solid words.
                  The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Speech difficulties and dizziness seem to go hand-in-hand with me. I intermittently will experience an episode of dizziness (room spins around me whether sitting, standing or lying down) which is quickly followed by 10-30 seconds of slurred, stroke-like speech. Then, the dizziness and speech difficulties quickly resolve. Makes me wonder if the lesion(s) causing the dizziness are located near an area that affects speech? I've also got on my list to talk to the doctor about!

Comment

Working...
                    X