ACA 2020 Gauntlet Thrown Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Myoak View Post
    Personally, I think the ACA would be a better plan for Americans than Medicare for all, but that is just me, and I am willing to listen to every viewpoint about it...
    I don't know, either, which would be the better plan.

I grew up in Canada, and I have the perspective that health care should be a right, not a privilege. It should be affordable and accessible. But Canada doesn't have a perfect system either.

ACA vs Medicare for all?
    I think the ACA made a good start. One intended component of the ACA was expanded Medicaid, and, because not all states chose to implement that, there are some especially large gaps in coverage for those with low-income on those states.

I don't have an opinion about which would be better. I've also heard a Medicaid-for-all (instead of Medicare) suggestion, or a Medicare-for-all-who-want-it suggestion. I'm not sure what either of those would look like.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
      I don't understand what you are trying to say. Can you explain?
      What does it mean to you?

Comment

Faith,

I couldnt agree with you more. We know the dangers of a completely nationalized system like Canada and the NHS in Britain. There was one woman from Canada on this site who said her husband was in a wheelchair and couldn’t get an MRI to diagnose his condition.

The idea of having a government insurance that pays private providers is the best of both worlds. The problem is no one has tried it. I have Medicare with a Supplement and it has been wonderful. I also have a Medicaid for the medically needy. I have not found that useful because I would to pay them half of my monthly income to use it. It covers some dental and some eyecare but nothing beyond filling cavities. The question is could we find the resources to make a Medicarelike system for all people in the United States possible? I don’t foresee a ‘Medicare for those who want it’ working because those who don’t want it would still need to pay taxes without benefiting from it.

I do believe that a single payer system would save resources and be more efficient. Everyone would have to contribute more to the treasury(the controversial part of this) but it would save big and small businesss a lot in paying for their employee health care and it would save money in the administrative departments of doctors offices and hospitals.

Whatever direction the people of the country want, our mission is to make sure everyone with MS is taken care of. We don’t just need health care. Many of us need housing and care facilities that specifically address our needs.

Please feel free to remove anything you don’t like. I am a human palmtree.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
          What does it mean to you?
          I'll pass. I'm pretty sure my opinion is in conflict with a majority of users here.
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
            I'll pass. I'm pretty sure my opinion is in conflict with a majority of users here.
            I have always been impressed by your opinions and comments.

Someone once said that conflict is always the price of deepening intimacy and can only be resolved through proper communication. The moderators' delicate balancing is meant to enhance proper communication but the bulk of that will always be the responsibility of those who post. I appreciate your grace in not wanting conflict, however, I am also interested in your perspective. We often share similar viewpoints and it doesn't bother me to differ on a few.

The reason I feel the ACA would be helpful, with adjustments, is because it is a hybrid... not entirely public and not entirely private. I appreciate large percentages of the population want one or the other so I thought the ACA balanced that as best it could for the time being with the hope that adjustments could be made as required.

What we do know is that the private system was the number one reason for bankruptcy and was literally bankrupting the country. What we don't know is exactly what to do about it.

Being in the majority does not mean being right. So, if your opinion differs, you may be more right than the majority. In any case, I hope you always feel you can express your opinions.

The last person on earth I could stand would be a twin of mine so you are fine, Boudreaux!

Best wishes!

Comment

Faith,

The idea of having a government insurance that pays private providers is the best of both worlds. The problem is no one has tried it.
              The ACA has been exactly that. Blue Shield, Blue Cross, and several other private providers are or or were selectable under one's income tier in the marketplace. More recently, many providers have left after some changes.

Hopefully things will get worked out.

In addition to a good healthcare system, a great preventative system would take us a long way. Kaiser is one organization that is starting to show big strides with preventative care. I know people don't love their MS care though.
              All the best, ~G

Comment

My preference really is socialized medicine. That way everyone would have access to at least the basics and for those fortunate enough to be able to pay cash they can be more particular. That is about as fair as I imagine it could be.

I keep going back to the studies where Canada and Germany have lower costs and higher satisfaction rates than the US.
                No easy answers I suppose.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

The thing that is really difficult to help the public clarify is the distinction between Medicare and a socialized health care system. There have been scare cartoons showing everyone in line at the post office waiting for their healthcare.

Medicare or single payer means the government functions as the insurance company. Imagine not having to worry about huge deductibles, prior authorizations or out of network charges. Medicare is still a private health care system. There is still healthy competition and we, the consumer, choose what we want. The private system can still innovate and run everything in the most efficient way possible in order to make a profit.

Socialized medicine means the government hires the doctors, they own the hospitals and control how it is run.

What is troubling to me about the ACA and certain hybrids of Medicare is that taxpayer dollars are going into the pockets of private insurance companies. This was indicative of how powerful the insurance companies are as they lobby in the halls of Congress. When Howard Schultz said, “Medicare for all is not realistic because it would eliminate jobs in the insurance industry” I was sickened. This is one of the places all our money is going. We spend money in premiums to line the pockets of those pesky insurance representatives whose aim is to find any way possible to deny our claims.

On another subject, everyone is treating ‘Medicare for all’ as free healthcare. Medicare only pays 80%. The rest has to be covered out of pocket or by purchasing a supplemental policy from a private insurance company.

***But finally to the reason I logged on again. There are some other details that are very important to the disabled that I would like to highlight. In the ACA the Medicaid expansion is available to everyone who fits into the income bracket EXCEPT SENIORS AND DISABLED PEOPLE, the ones who need it the most. Another thing that has plagued me for many years in that disabled people on SSDI cannot purchase a Medicare Supplement. Once I turned the magic age of 65 they gave me 6 months to select a Supplement. It has been a major relief. Before, insurance companies did not even offer policies to the disabled PERIOD. ***

So whatever direction you lean those two issues are if major importance to us.

Comment

In the ACA the Medicaid expansion is available to everyone who fits into the income bracket EXCEPT SENIORS AND DISABLED PEOPLE, the ones who need it the most.
                    Isn't this because Seniors and the Disabled qualify for the Medicare program?
                    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                      SSDI recipients qualify for Medicare (2 year waiting period), while SSI recipients qualify for Medicaid.
                      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                        If you’re already enrolled in Medicare, you’re considered covered under the ACA, and you don’t have to do anything. In fact, it’s illegal for someone who knows you have Medicare to try to sell you a plan through a health care marketplace.

The Affordable Care Act enhances your existing Medicare coverage in a couple of important ways:

You get more preventive care benefits, such
                        as cancer screenings and an annual wellness visit.
                        If you fall into the prescription drug “donut hole,” there are new discounts to help you save money until the hole closes completely in 2020.
                        https://www.legalconsumer.com/obamac...picID=42&ST=DE

Understanding the difference between Medicaid and Obamacare can be confusing because

- Often, you learn you’re eligible for Medicaid when you fill out an application for health insurance on your ACA health insurance exchange... It can be confusing when you end up receiving Medicaid instead of a private Obamacare plan...
                        A Medicaid beneficiary receiving his or her Medicaid ID card from UnitedHealthCare, Humana, Kaiser, or Blue Cross, might mistakenly assume he’s received private Obamacare health insurance. In fact, his state Medicaid program has contracted with a private insurer to manage the care of Medicaid recipients...
                        Since the majority of people buying health insurance on an ACA health insurance exchange get help paying for that health insurance in the form of subsidies from the federal government, it may be confusing as to how government-subsidized private health insurance (Obamacare) is really all that different than government-funded Medicaid.
                        https://www.verywellhealth.com/whats...macare-1738843
                        Last edited by Mamabug; 04-09-2019, 03:04 PM.
                        ~ Faith
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

In the ACA the Medicaid expansion is available to everyone who fits into the income bracket EXCEPT SENIORS AND DISABLED PEOPLE.
                          This is not entirely true. Medicaid expansion is only available in the 37 states (including DC) that have expanded Medicaid. It is not available in the 14 states that have chosen not to expand. This includes my state of Kansas.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                            This is not entirely true. Medicaid expansion is only available in the 37 states (including DC) that have expanded Medicaid. It is not available in the 14 states that have chosen not to expand. This includes my state of Kansas.
                            Thank you for clarifying that. The two states that I have lived in since the enactment of the ACA chose to sign onto Medicaid expansion.

I realize that having Medicare meant that I was covered but it was rough seeing young kids benefitting from the expansion with new eyeglasses ánd glisteningly clean teeth when it was stuff I could not get.

Comment

Working...
                            X