Intentions vs. Resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intentions vs. Resolutions

I bet many of you set new year resolutions only to have them fail (like me)? Resolutions tend to be a firm choice/decision to not do something or to do something.
    I learned in my yoga class to set intentions instead of resolutions, thus enabling us to move towards a goal in a more doable way.

I found this article to be helpful in differentiating between intention and resolution. It was written a year ago.

"It seems to me that intentions allow us to be more creative, aware, and mindful of what we would like to change. Resolutions seem to ask us to be perfect, something we can never achieve. Resolutions seem to focus only on the outcome, not the journey. Intentions are more inviting. Intentions ask us to look deep inside ourselves, to become more of an imperfect human being. Intentions allow us less human-doing and human-thinking. Intentions are more freeing asking nothing more in return than you practice. Intentions do not hold you to a specific outcome, just head in the direction of ambitions. Some may think that intentions are not the same as goal setting. To the contrary, goals are synonymous with intentions. Set goals, work for them, just don’t beat yourself up if your accomplishments are less than your desired goal."

https://hanfordsentinel.com/features...685ddbec3.html

So, do you set resolutions only to have them fail and then feel guilty?
    Have any of you set intentions for the new year? What are they?

I'm still working on mine, but one is to make a plan to set and keep doable exercise goals. Another is to try to relax with just being instead of doing and really STOP when I've used up my "spoons" for the day. And to be OK and at peace with that.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I gave up making any resolutions years ago. And I don't have any regrets. Life is going to happen anyway. Come what may!

Happy New Year sisters and brothers. Be well.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Resolutions typically are short lived. I intend to get after it daily and to make any deviation from that intention short lived.
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

For me, keeping a logbook, or journal, of the progress of my desired intentions or goals is essential.

I have kept daily journals for keeping track of what I eat, as well as for the physical exercise I do, for quite awhile.

It really helps to see the progress, and also when I miss the mark. This has become a good habit.

This New Year I would love to increase my time spent on mental practices with meditation, breathwork, awareness, concentration, etc. These have proven to be very helpful to me, both emotionally and physically.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and peaceful New Year!
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          I learned in my yoga class to set intentions instead of resolutions, thus enabling us to move towards a goal in a more doable way...

So, do you set resolutions only to have them fail and then feel guilty?
          Have any of you set intentions for the new year? What are they?

I'm still working on mine, but one is to make a plan to set and keep doable exercise goals. Another is to try to relax with just being instead of doing and really STOP when I've used up my "spoons" for the day. And to be OK and at peace with that.
          I like that. Intentions enable us to"move towards a goal in a more doable way".

I don't set New Year's resolutions. I don't care for either the designation of New Year's day as a date to begin, or the "firm choice" to make a change.

Rather, I set "goals"I instead of resolutions. And I set them when it makes sense to me.

Right now, my goal is simply that, when my current kidney issue is resolved, I will get back on track with exercise and other resiliency strategies. Currently, that is using all of my emotional energy.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I haven't done a New Years Resolution in many, many years. Resolutions usually become a disappointment to the many who make them, myself included, and don't stick to whatever the resolution is.

I strongly believe in intentions, I have had amazing results with intentions.

I believe I posted this over on the "Quotes thread but it seems to be appropriate on this thread:

"Intentions are like magnets. The more we declare them, believe in them and act in ways to manifest them the more powerful and real they become."
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
              I believe I posted this over on the "Quotes thread but it seems to be appropriate on this thread:

"Intentions are like magnets. The more we declare them, believe in them and act in ways to manifest them the more powerful and real they become."
              Loved it there and love it here. Thanks again
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks Seasha for starting this. I really like the concept.
                Kathy
                DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                X