Emergen-C Immune Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergen-C Immune Plus

Curious if anyone uses this OTC product and if it is safe to do so. Lots of people claim that they don't get as many colds if they use this.

Tried it once... never again. I was never so sick from a supplement as I was with this one. Sorry.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Yes, I use this mainly when I'm feeling like I have low energy and have been around family members who have colds. I get one cold a year and it doesn't last long. I am not on any DMT and haven't been for a few years now.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I think this is something you would want to discuss with your dr and/or pharmacist. If you are taking a DMD that is an immunosuppressant, I think it would be counterintuitive to try and boost your immune system.

Comment

Originally posted by hsmaldo View Post
          I think this is something you would want to discuss with your dr and/or pharmacist. If you are taking a DMD that is an immunosuppressant, I think it would be counterintuitive to try and boost your immune system.
          Yeah that is my thinking on this as well. I take Tecfidera which is an immunomodulator which does alter the immune system as well. All these DMDs try to quiet an overactive immune system so it would be counter intuitive to take something that worked against that.

Comment

I take them all the time when I'm sick or feel something coming on. I like the pomegranate flavor.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

hsmaldo:
              If you are taking a DMD that is an immunosuppressant, I think it would be counterintuitive to try and boost your immune system.
              rsinger:
              All these DMDs try to quiet an overactive immune system so it would be counter intuitive to take something that worked against that.
              Just something to think about;
              Eating a healthy diet, exercising, and using vitamins/supplements is recommended by our Drs. and yet these things all boost the immune system.
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Just something to think about;
                Eating a healthy diet, exercising, and using vitamins/supplements is recommended by our Drs. and yet these things all boost the immune system.
                That's a great point Snoopy. What should we do?
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Here's an article listing some immune boosting foods to keep you healthy during the cold and flu seasons - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322412.php

Many of them contain antioxidants.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Doctors and scientists don't fully understand the immune system (hence the continued real lack of understanding of what causes MS and what to do about it!)

From what I understand (which of course is a limited understanding), there are many ways to maintain a healthy immune system and there are many supplements that don't "boost" your overall immune response, but rather support it. This is an interesting distinction. I think in general it is easiest to label things as "boosting" or "strengthening" the immune system because that is easy to understand. I think this is unfortunate because it also makes people stay away from some supplements that could perhaps be extremely beneficial.

We know for sure that getting sick (colds, flus, infections etc) can cause MS flare-ups, or an increase in symptoms at least. So, it seems extremely sensible to find the right combinations of things that work for you to avoid getting sick.

I don't believe that people with MS have an overactive immune system, I believe that we have a faulty immune system. Somehow there is a signal that has gone wrong and the body is confused. So supporting the immune system in all kinds of positive ways should be a positive thing.

Of course, these are all my personal opinions! I only can speak from personal experience. I am a fan of St. Francis Deep Immune - take the recommended dose when you feel a cold coming on. One of the key herbs in this tincture is Astragalus.

Comment

Working...
                    X