Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
    Borrowed the DVD for 1964 Mary Poppins from my neighbor and invited a friend over to watch it. Haven't watched it for decades, but I still remembered the words to most of the songs.

It was so good to see it again. Like visiting an old friend.
    I posted this on the Gratitude Journal thread. And, it was awesome to see Mary Poppins again.

But, a day or two before I watched the movie, I'd been home alone watching YouTube videos about both the original movie and its sequel.

Totally unexpectedly, I burst out into tears. Loud, audible, body wracking sobs. It was short, but very intense while it lasted.

The Mary Poppins memories had triggered memories of watching the movie with my mom, who had been a huge Julie Andrews fan.

Mom had had a short battle with cancer and passed away 20 years ago. It's so weird how something as simple as Mary Poppins memories could unexpectedly trigger such intense emotions. After a minute or two, the tears and feelings subsided and I was fine.

I'll always miss mom. At age 62, she still had so much to offer.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Merry Christmas Mama.

Those memories sneak up on us don't they? It doesn't take much to start me blubbering until I feel sick. It's been six months and I feel like it was this morning. None of us are in the holiday mood. My kids gave me orders to keep our Christmas day a family day... no invitations to neighbors or friends. That's fine with me. I could just skip it this year.

Maybe it's good to have a good cry after 20 years. Hope you feel better.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Mamabug

Thanks for sharing your heartfelt experience with us.

Fond memories, as well as not so fond memories, have a way of triggering strong emotions - especially during the holiday season.

It's wonderful that you and your Mom had such a loving relationship, with fond memories to cherish.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
        Merry Christmas Mama.

Those memories sneak up on us don't they? It doesn't take much to start me blubbering until I feel sick. It's been six months and I feel like it was this morning. None of us are in the holiday mood. My kids gave me orders to keep our Christmas day a family day... no invitations to neighbors or friends. That's fine with me. I could just skip it this year.

Maybe it's good to have a good cry after 20 years. Hope you feel better.
        Oh Marti. I'm thinking about you this Christmas. Your first Christmas without Sam must be really hard to get through without blubbering. I'm glad you have your kids to support you.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

That happened to me watching The Help as I thought of the housekeeper as my second mom and she was fired without allowing me to say goodby. Tried over the years to find her without luck.

Comment

((Faith)) 62 is just way too young. Movies, songs, scents can bring back a flood of memories.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Temagami View Post
              That happened to me watching The Help as I thought of the housekeeper as my second mom and she was fired without allowing me to say goodby. Tried over the years to find her without luck.
              Oh wow. That movie is your story!

The Help always brings memories and emotions about mom for me too. Bit I expect them.

In 1959-1960, mom volunteered with a church agency. For a year, she was a school teacher in Gulfport MS in segregated black schools. She often shared slides (on the LR wall), and stories with us when we were children.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                ((Faith)) 62 is just way too young. Movies, songs, scents can bring back a flood of memories.
                Yeah. Thanks.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  Oh Marti. I'm thinking about you this Christmas. Your first Christmas without Sam must be really hard to get through without blubbering. I'm glad you have your kids to support you.

Thank you Mama. We'll get thru this. What I'm worried about is my son's next birthday which was also Sam's birthday. That one will be difficult.
                  Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
                    Thank you Mama. We'll get thru this. What I'm worried about is my son's next birthday which was also Sam's birthday. That one will be difficult.
                    (( Hugs ))
                    ~ Faith
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                    X