Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surgery, Anesthesia, and the aftereffects of the two...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had some surgery on Monday. The Anesthesiologist used a spinal block to numb from the waist down and some propofol and fentanyl. My question is this: "Has anyone ever had the feeling that after some anesthesia like I described that things were different with their MS?" I'm having some MS type regression and it's hard to describe, but feels like I cannot get words out and I'm not steady on my feet. I start to lean and I swear if I didn't catch myself, I'd fall right on over. I'm also saying things that don't always make sense. I know this sounds weird, but just wondering. Thanks so much.

Luke, I have no experience with a situation similar to yours. So I'm sorry; I can't respond to your question.

I want to welcome you to MSWorld, though. Feel free to express introduce yourself to us in another thread.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Welcome Luke.

I have only had general anesthesia since my MS diagnosis. It didn't have any effect on balance, but did feel like word finding issues increased for a fee days.

I would recommend calling your neuro to discuss and see what the thought is. I know it can take a little while to fully recover from anesthesia, but not sure what that period is. There are a few people in the medical field here. They may be able to shed some light. Since it has lasted more than 24-48 hours, your neuro should be advised in the event it is MS related.

Hope your recovery from surgery goes well and you feel better soon.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I haven’t experienced the symptoms you described, but back in September of 2015 I had an open surgery to remove a large ovarian cyst and one of my ovaries. I was given general anesthesia and a spinal block. My back has never been the same since and I have never suffered from back issues. Ever since the surgery I have had severe back pain and leg weakness if I stand or walk for more than five minutes and it feels as if I’ll just collapse if I don’t sit down.

I spoke to my surgeon who told me that was normal and it would go away within a few weeks. It’s been years. Also discussed with my neurologist who ordered me an mri of the lower spine which showed nothing aside from some mild arthritis. So as of now I still have no answers, but am convinced it had something to do with the spinal block.

Anyway, hope you find answers soon!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
        ― Helen Keller

Comment

Hi LukeGriffen.

Did you speak with the Anesthesiologist before surgery and tell her/him that you have Multiple Sclerosis? Did you disclose to your Surgeon that you have MS? There was a time where an Anesthesiologist would not even consider doing a spinal block on a patient with MS. I had 2 C-sections and both times the Anesthesiologist(s) refused to do a spinal block.

I agree with pennstater about discussing this with your Neurologist but would also suggest speaking with your surgeon.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi and welcome. I agree definitely call your doc. Hope you feel back to normal soon.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

Thank you all so very much. Your help, or simply the fact that you responded, is heartwarming. I should have stated that I had experienced a spinal before and that there was debate this time around about doing the block due to MS. I was reticent to use it but the head guy at Duke University came in and talked to me regarding my conditions and seemed to feel that this was probably the best route considering general. I must say that I am somewhat better today, which leads to me believe the pain medicine might be the culprit. I've cut back on it and almost eliminated it completely and I don't feel the same as I did. Thanks again!!! Ladybug, I truly feel for your situation. I am so sorry you're having to deal with the severe back pain and leg weakness. I pray it does go away, and the sooner the better.

Comment

LukeGriffen,
                Welcome to MS World. This is a great community as I have lived here off and on over a decade. 😉

I haven’t had a spinal block so no help there but perhaps it is the combo of the two and over time your symptoms will subside. Please keep us posted!

Best wishes for a good recovery this weekend!!

Comment

I've had two surgeries in the past year. The first was November 2017 and was more serious than the second. My neurologist was consulted but no mention of any possible side effects were mentioned.
                  I had another surgery this past October at the same hospital. The anesthesiologist did ask me if I had any issues with anesthesia and my MS (not sure what exactly my response was suppose to be).

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGriffen View Post
                    Thank you all so very much. Your help, or simply the fact that you responded, is heartwarming. I should have stated that I had experienced a spinal before and that there was debate this time around about doing the block due to MS. I was reticent to use it but the head guy at Duke University came in and talked to me regarding my conditions and seemed to feel that this was probably the best route considering general. I must say that I am somewhat better today, which leads to me believe the pain medicine might be the culprit. I've cut back on it and almost eliminated it completely and I don't feel the same as I did. Thanks again!!! Ladybug, I truly feel for your situation. I am so sorry you're having to deal with the severe back pain and leg weakness. I pray it does go away, and the sooner the better.
                    Thank you! So glad you are doing somewhat better! Hope it continues to improve.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
                    ― Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                    X