No announcement yet.

It’s Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I haven’t reached this stage, I am truly thankful for all of you who have been there and share your experiences so openly on this and many other threads in the forums.

I’ve had this diagnosis for 13 years and yet when I read some of these threads I can feel like the high school freshman amongst a class full of graduating seniors. 😂

MGM, hang in here...I hope you reach a point soon where you feel better about this.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post

It seems strange to say, but my quality of life is so much better now. I miss working, but love being able to be part of life again. I can participate with family, friends, hobbies, volunteer. It has to be all about balance still, but having the options open to me again provides a different type of fulfillment.
      Yes; choosing how to spend my time and my limited energy was a blessing.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
        I have copied/pasted this for future reference. It brings me comfort now and will likely be a lifeline in the future. Thank you pennstater.
        Glad it is of some comfort. Here is hoping you don't need until retirement age.

It is funny, most people I know can't wait to retire, then when it gets close, the thought starts to hit them - what will I do with myself - work is part of my identity - who am I without it?

Some of us just had to face this question a little sooner.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

8 years

I am 8 years out in this. I decided to leave when I was dragging my bottom when going into work.

I was working on my Masters to further my career.

I had to do outpatient depression counseling for two weeks Monday through Friday that was so good for me to deal with it.I was so depressed.

Now I agree, this has been a blessing. I have done a lot of volunteering. I have also gone back to work very part time, of 8 hours a week. I ended up needing that professional interaction. I am getting close to stopping that.

My number one priority is taking care of myself. Exercising and being able to cook/eat healthy is my job.

I have taken up Genealogy that I never had time for.

The latest thing that made me cry was when my LTD company asked me what my long term and short term goals were. I had never thought of it. Now I continue to set short and long term goals.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
            Glad it is of some comfort. Here is hoping you don't need until retirement age.

It is funny, most people I know can't wait to retire, then when it gets close, the thought starts to hit them - what will I do with myself - work is part of my identity - who am I without it?

Some of us just had to face this question a little sooner.
            I think of my parents who based on our family culture were workaholics. Both retired in their early 70s and flourished. It was interesting to watch as I thought they would have been miserable. Both have said "I don't know how I ever had time to work". I'm holding on to this and all the wonderful stories here about the positives of retiring, even if forced on me early, and hope I can move forward with the grace and determination as you all have.

The angst has definitely reduced as my age increases. I'm at the point now where I really would be just having a pity party, which trust me I will do although hopefully briefly, if things get bad. I got the 10 years plus some that I begged and bargained for upon diagnosis so I am thankful for that.
            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
            Anonymous

Comment

I think of my parents ... Both have said "I don't know how I ever had time to work". I'm holding on to this and all the wonderful stories here about the positives of retiring
              Yes. There are many people who would love to be able to afford to retire early. LTD and SSDI made that affordable for me.

I recognize my blessings, alongside my challenges. I recognize my silver lining behind the clouds. I am grateful for my blessings and my silver linings.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                Yes. There are many people who would love to be able to afford to retire early. LTD and SSDI made that affordable for me.

I recognize my blessings, alongside my challenges. I recognize my silver lining behind the clouds. I am grateful for my blessings and my silver linings.
                This is part of the resiliency you encourage. Although I tend to be cynical, or reframed as analytical lol, and on the lookout for the negatives I am definitely cognizant of being thankful for all my blessings. Despite receiving many short ends of the stick, MS probably one of the shortest, I am grateful for all I have seen, done and been blessed to have received in this wild ride of a lifetime.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

This is part of the resiliency you encourage.
                  wow; thanks!

Although I tend to be cynical, or reframed as analytical lol, and on the lookout for the negatives I am definitely cognizant of being thankful for all my blessings. Despite receiving many short ends of the stick, MS probably one of the shortest, I am grateful for all I have seen, done and been blessed to have received in this wild ride of a lifetime.
                  Yeah; the way I look at it, we all have our "stuff". My stuff could be worse.
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by kelm10 View Post

I have taken up Genealogy that I never had time for.
                    Kelm, my mother in law got me a year Ansestory.com membership for Christmas because I will now have time to look stuff up. Too funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                      wow; thanks!

Yeah; the way I look at it, we all have our "stuff". My stuff could be worse.
                      Absolutely agree! I am moving to acceptance but struggling with depression. I think the pain in my abdomen and legs isn’t helping. My coping mechanism used to be long walks or biking, of which I can now do neither. I am trying very hard to be ok where I am, but honestly it is a struggle. I have so many blessing with my family, finances and home, so I think some of the depression is part of the disease process. MS certainly offers us a wild ride.....

Comment

Originally posted by MyGirlsMom View Post
                        Absolutely agree! I am moving to acceptance but struggling with depression. I think the pain in my abdomen and legs isn’t helping. My coping mechanism used to be long walks or biking, of which I can now do neither. I am trying very hard to be ok where I am, but honestly it is a struggle. I have so many blessing with my family, finances and home, so I think some of the depression is part of the disease process. MS certainly offers us a wild ride.....
                        I agree too about the stuff everyone has!

MyGirlsMom please keep us posted .
                        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                        X