Closing Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing Threads

While I'm very appreciative of the effort from our mods, I will never understand why in a time of literal stagnation on this board threads would be deemed as having run their course and locked when members are still interested in participating and it isn't getting overly nasty.

The whole censorship before replies are posted has never sat well with me anyway and I believe played a large part in the marked decrease in participate here. In the absence of contentious interactions on said threads this just seems like more of the same. It is unfortunate that we aren't thought to be strong or mentally stable enough to disagree with complete strangers on the www - especially if as many are found of touting that MS is no longer a significant illness.

I'll await the suggestions that I open my own forum or join the MS Facebook groups.
    Last edited by KoKo; 12-13-2018, 08:21 AM. Reason: removed the ... after www
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Thank you for approving this. I think it is worthy of discussion.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

I agree 100% with this. Being able to vent my frustrations on these forums has helped me a lot , but the more I see that I don't even have a place among people with this disease the more depressed it makes me. If someone has a problem with the threads they can step away respectfully. (Pennstater for example) - who was respectful the entire time , but did say they were leaving the thread.

For me I honestly feel it is because some people here don't like people who view the disease the way I do and who has made it very clear about my end game plan. I am not judging anyone who is OK living out their life with this disease.- that is their choice , but my choice is just as valid.

I also understand the people who are opposite than me trying to give me advice to help me. It works for them and that is great and I really do appreciate the help. However , if I have my independence taken away no amount of counseling will ever make me OK with that.

It is what it is though. Some people have to learn to live with this disease without a support system ( even if that is a group of strangers on the internet)

Comment

Daisycat -- This is just my opinion.

Both of your threads that were recently closed were long and had strayed, multiple times, from the original topic.

This is a different situation than yours, but ...

When I started a thread about functional medicine, and it got long, I chose to start / move on to a second thread when it seemed like a good transition point. There are no longer many posts on my functional threads. But if members continued to post on my original thread, I would likely close it too.

You could take more control of when your threads are closed.
        - You continue to have the option to begin new threads.
        - And, in the future, if a thread that you start goes on a long time, or changes its focus, you have the option to request that a moderator close it so you can start a new one and address a new topic.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mama bug

you are correct that the threads did kind of stray from the original topic, but it seemed like some people still had decent advice and were still replying to my original issue.

There were other mini threads going on within the thread, but I felt it was still helping me.

Ive already made my choice when it comes to my mom. My bf is a different issue because we just disagree too much About things related to this disease....

but back to closing threads I have felt that since the beginning that my view isn’t welcome here and my threads are the ones that end up closed.

Its frustrating since I have no where in life to vent these feelings, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            While I'm very appreciative of the effort from our mods, I will never understand why in a time of literal stagnation on this board threads would be deemed as having run their course and locked when members are still interested in participating and it isn't getting overly nasty.

The whole censorship before replies are posted has never sat well with me anyway and I believe played a large part in the marked decrease in participate here. In the absence of contentious interactions on said threads this just seems like more of the same. It is unfortunate that we aren't thought to be strong or mentally stable enough to disagree with complete strangers on the www - especially if as many are found of touting that MS is no longer a significant illness.

I'll await the suggestions that I open my own forum or join the MS Facebook groups.
            Agree 100%.

One of my replies was not approved to be seen by the public and I believe it was politically motivated (I'm not a fan of .gov ran healthcare). I found it strange that the rest of the members needed to be protected from my opinion as if they couldn't just ignore the post from the libertarian guy on the forum. I dare not bring up one of my favorite hobbies as I would probably get a time out.
            The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
              - And, in the future, if a thread that you start goes on a long time, or changes its focus, you have the option to request that a moderator close it so you can start a new one and address a new topic.
              But why would she want to do this if it was still lively despite possibly veering off on different tangents?

While I'm not a fan of the cluster b driven "good bye cruel board posts" or the need to make a dramatic exit from participating in a thread there is always the option to move on if someone feels a thread is no longer of interest to them.

I'm not trying to be dense but this doesn't make sense to me. On other boards I visit, non-MS, threads can go into the hundreds until dying a natural death or becoming contentious in which case they get shut down.
              Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                Ive already made my choice when it comes to my mom. My bf is a different issue because we just disagree too much About things related to this disease....
                This is probably part of it. People expect some insight or flexibility and yet you continue parroting the same thoughts in every context. Its fine to hold those beliefs but it gets old if they pepper every conversation.

Been there done that with my shock that people would actually procreate on purpose with a significant genetic implication such as MS. I learned to save those comments for when they are actually relevant which hopefully makes it less abrasive and more thought provoking.
                Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                  I dare not bring up one of my favorite hobbies as I would probably get a time out.

BTW I'm a huge fan of Mississippi due to the low cost of living and warm climate. Your state always seems to get a big shout out as a retirement choice to stretch out funds.
                  Anonymous

Comment

I've never visited another board that functions quite like this one; posts having to be approved before being posted, no private message option, threads being locked.

I've always assumed there was a backstory that warrants these kinds of measures. Perhaps there has been conflict on this board in the past? Or was there an issue with private messages in the past?

Comment

Boudreaux

I also do not understand the censorship of threads. I have had to leave out some things I want to say because I am sure it won’t get past the mods.

Jules A

Every other board I post on the threads die on their own. I have never seen one where they are closed by a mod time after time. And I do kind of repeat myself, but I feel as if some people aren’t listening or understanding me so I have to keep saying it until they get it. I am 100% sure about certain things and no amount of counseling or medication will help that.

It is just very hard for me with my boyfriend because I WANT us to be together forever like we had planned. I just feel like it is very selfish of me to put him through this life when I know how it is going to end. Also sometimes it is nice to just be able to get my thoughts out since I know I have and never will have anyone IRL to talk to.

I am curious as well about the no private messages

Comment

Originally posted by sarabeach123 View Post
                        I've never visited another board that functions quite like this one; posts having to be approved before being posted, no private message option, threads being locked.

I've always assumed there was a backstory that warrants these kinds of measures. Perhaps there has been conflict on this board in the past? Or was there an issue with private messages in the past?
                        I wish I could answer that. I've been here a long time, although I've only been a moderator since 2012. And, it wasn't always like this. We used to have private message options, posts were not pre-moderated, etc.

But, the changes happened long before I became a moderator and I don't remember the circumstances that triggered those decisions.
                        ~ Faith
                        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                          I wish I could answer that. I've been here a long time, although I've only been a moderator since 2012. And, it wasn't always like this. We used to have private message options, posts were not pre-moderated, etc.

But, the changes happened long before I became a moderator and I don't remember the circumstances that triggered those decisions.
                          Remember how lively it was? I would participate in 5-6 different MS or off topic board conversations going at once, most any time day or night! I don't recall any dust up either although I'm sure something happened.

Its unfortunate though because in my experience the PMs allowed for some peer to peer moderation if someone's responses were getting too salty and also the ability to commiserate with like minded members in a private place. I never got any hateful PMs but if I had I would told them to buzz off or reported them to management if I was that upset about it.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is that it feels like the idiot program as if we aren't able to cope with adverse peer interactions which thwarts my goal to ignore how self-centered and histrionic those of us with chronic illnesses seem to be.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                            Why not start a new Facebook group? It’ll be one more place we can post, for those of us who don’t mind sharing our identities.
                            I don’t propose a mass exodus from here to Facebook. I still like posting here (most of the time) but I don’t think a private Facebook page is a bad idea. I may be willing to share a little more there as these forums are public and I suppose someone could end up coming across a post and I’d be recognized. I actually randomly found a dude I went to high school with on another MS forum.
                            “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Is there a channel for voting to have the PM option and not having pre-approval but maintain mods to mediate in case of testy posts?

Comment

Working...
                              X