Optimism and Pessimism - Disease impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
    You've got to become your own very best friend, biggest supporter, and encourager.
    Absolutely agree! No one is going to take care of me so I learned very early in life of the need to be self-sufficient.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Resiliency

I think cultivating a positive attitude, even in the midst of stress and challenges, is what resiliency us all about.

Google "resiliency strategies" for some ideas about how to improve your attitudes and your health through intentional actions.
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
        I think cultivating a positive attitude, even in the midst of stress and challenges, is what resiliency us all about.

Google "resiliency strategies" for some ideas about how to improve your attitudes and your health through intentional actions.

I think a positive attitude helps with things in general , but not everyone is going to be at the same point as everyone else with this disease. Some people are going to handle it different and for some of us denial , finding other things to focus on and do with our life is how we get through this.

I am not trying to be negative , but some people are just not going to be positive about being told they have a terminal or chronic illness. It is just who they are so... for people like us we have to find different and unique ways to deal with this.

I made a list of 10 things I wasnt to do by the end of Janurary. Some of them are really stupid and simple ( catch up on my DVR shows , start my next tattoo and some are more "challenging" - pay off my last credit card and start to focus more on muscle building instead of weight loss.)

I think finding other things to focus on and occupy someone's thoughts can be a huge help for someone who isn't at the point to where they can be positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
          I think finding other things to focus on and occupy someone's thoughts can be a huge help for someone who isn't at the point to where they can be positive.
          Yup. Good strategy. That's part of the "courage to change the things I can" piece of the serenity prayer.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Yup. Good strategy. That's part of the "courage to change the things I can" piece of the serenity prayer.

I know that being able to accomplish goals will help me feel like I have some control back of my life. I hate feeling like I have lost that so I am hoping my new idea of coming up with 5-10 goals a month can help. ( No matter how silly the goal is - binge watching tv shows is a nice way to take my mind off things and keeps me at the gym longer)

Comment

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
              I know that being able to accomplish goals will help me feel like I have some control back of my life. I hate feeling like I have lost that so I am hoping my new idea of coming up with 5-10 goals a month can help. ( No matter how silly the goal is - binge watching tv shows is a nice way to take my mind off things and keeps me at the gym longer)
              I binge watch too. It's not exactly a goal. But it's something I enjoy.

5-10 goals a month is a good idea.
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

I heard someone speak about the pessimistic view, specifically the worst case scenario thinking.

The problem with constantly thinking that the worst possible thing can happen is that thinking that way doesn't protect your psyche from the pain of the real life worst case scenario when it happens. If the worst case turns out to be true, you've lived it twice -once in your head and once in reality. So you've suffered twice for the same event.

If you're pessimistic and the worst case doesn't happen, you've put yourself through it for nothing. Pain for nothing.

If you're optimistic and the worst case happens, you live through it once.

If you're optimistic and the worst case doesn't happen, yay!

As they say, worry is a misuse of imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                  I heard someone speak about the pessimistic view, specifically the worst case scenario thinking.

The problem with constantly thinking that the worst possible thing can happen is that thinking that way doesn't protect your psyche from the pain of the real life worst case scenario when it happens. If the worst case turns out to be true, you've lived it twice -once in your head and once in reality. So you've suffered twice for the same event.

If you're pessimistic and the worst case doesn't happen, you've put yourself through it for nothing. Pain for nothing.

Thanks for sharing this. I absolutely love it. Such an insightful way of thinking.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I don稚 believe having a cheery outlook will prevent MS from doing what it will do anymore than I believe that being miserable will make us sicker (although this may be the case). Glass half empty we get sicker. Glass half full healthier. NO

What i do believe is that, since we have no control over the outcome, we might as well make the most of what is in the glass along the way.

Comment

That all said, I do believe that this disease causes depression and anxiety that some of us, despite our best efforts to be positive and optimistic, just can稚 control. It is important to be gracious to each other that not only does this disease control our ability to control our body and physical functions, but it also affects on mind in the way with think and feel too. Just my personal experience!

Comment

Wat will it do?

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                        I don稚 believe having a cheery outlook will prevent MS from doing what it will do anymore than I believe that being miserable will make us sicker (although this may be the case). Glass half empty we get sicker. Glass half full healthier. NO

What i do believe is that, since we have no control over the outcome, we might as well make the most of what is in the glass along the way.
                        So what will MS do? To a patient treated and living well with MS? I ask, cause I知 newly dx and stable.

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                          Thanks for sharing this. I absolutely love it. Such an insightful way of thinking.
                          Yes. I love it! Makes a lot of sense.
                          ~ Faith
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post

Hmmm; I'm not sure that I agree with this 100%. There are studies that show the effectiveness of placebos. If placebos can improve health, it makes sense that a positive attitude could too.

And negative attitudes and feelings of helplessness and hopelessness can create chronic stress, which upsets the body's hormone balance, depletes the brain chemicals required for happiness, and damages the immune system. Chronic stress can actually decrease our lifespan.
                            ~ Faith
                            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
                              So what will MS do? To a patient treated and living well with MS? I ask, cause I知 newly dx and stable.
                              Hmmm; where do I start? Because MS is neurological and if affects our brain, and because our brain controls everything, symptoms can be wide and varied.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...is/MS-Symptoms
                              ~ Faith
                              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Minimal sx

Hmmm; where do I start? Because MS is neurological and if affects our brain, and because our brain controls everything, symptoms can be wide and varied.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...is/MS-Symptoms
                                Well I知 in the hope that everything is minimally affected. Like I am now. Staying on treatment and paying attention to my diet with a consistent workout routine I知 hoping I値l be just fine. But again anxiety still creeps on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X