Mri contrast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mri contrast

I had my first MRI of my brain and cervical spine and it showed lesions in my brain and one in the cervical spine. They now want to do an mri with contrast Bc they suspect ms. I’m reallly afraid of the contrast after hearing how harmful it can be, plus I had a kidney transplant 5 years ago and even though my dr says it’s safe I’m still scared.
    Can I still be diagnosed without contrast? I asked my dr and he said the contrast shows “more information”. He said just do it this one time. What do you guys think???
    this decision is killing me.

Your case definitely requires more consideration due to your renal history however I'd be certain your neurologist discussed with your nephrologist.

I am not one who believes for most of us that contrast is all that "harmful" in moderation.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Most of my MRI's over seventeen years have been with contrast. But, I'm not sure about your kidney issue. You can call the department where you will be having the test and ask someone, but I'm sure your doctor wouldn't allow it if there was any doubt. The contrast will give them more defining information, but you can be dx without it.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I've never personally had problems with contrast, and I've had a few (many?) MRIs with contrast. I didn't know it could be a problem... ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by CindyrellaB View Post
          I had my first MRI of my brain and cervical spine and it showed lesions in my brain and one in the cervical spine. They now want to do an mri with contrast Bc they suspect ms. I’m reallly afraid of the contrast after hearing how harmful it can be, plus I had a kidney transplant 5 years ago and even though my dr says it’s safe I’m still scared.
          Can I still be diagnosed without contrast? I asked my dr and he said the contrast shows “more information”. He said just do it this one time. What do you guys think???
          this decision is killing me.
          Hi CindyrellaB

Your Dr wants to use contrast in order to see if any lesions enhance.

If there is enhancement of at least one lesion, it would be evidence of dissemination in time, (proof that there were separate attacks at different times) which is in the criteria for an MS dx.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            I am not one who believes for most of us that contrast is all that "harmful" in moderation.
            Agreed. In moderation, I wouldn’t worry about it.
            I declined it with my last scan but I had contrast 4 times in one year. But, I also had baseline MRI’s to compare it to.
            If you forego contrast, you may need to wait 6, 12 or more months for additional lesions to show to be diagnosed. If one of your lesions lights up with contrast this time, you won’t have to play the waiting game.
            Contrast also shows differently in different diseases that mimic MS, so it is helpful to rule them out too.
            Your nephrologist should be consulted just in case, but if your donor kidney is functioning the way it should and he gives you the go ahead, just go for it.
            “I’m pretty and tough, like a diamond. Or beef jerky in a ball gown.” - Titus Andromedon

Comment

Yes, the contrast would show if you have a lesion(s) that light up, which would mean active disease activity.

Assuming not all the lesions seen without contrast light up, these non-enhancing lesions would represent prior disease activity.

Since you would have both current active enhancing, as well as non-enhancing lesions, that represents dissemination in time.

If you don't have the contrast, you would have to wait for new lesions to show up on subsequent MRIs for a diagnosis. The current thought is the earlier diagnosed and earlier started on a disease modifying drug, the better. That may be why your neuro is pushing it. I would definitely discuss with your kidney doctor and get his/her thoughts.

Good luck.
              Kathy
              DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you so much. This makes sense.
                Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                Yes, the contrast would show if you have a lesion(s) that light up, which would mean active disease activity.

Assuming not all the lesions seen without contrast light up, these non-enhancing lesions would represent prior disease activity.

Since you would have both current active enhancing, as well as non-enhancing lesions, that represents dissemination in time.

If you don't have the contrast, you would have to wait for new lesions to show up on subsequent MRIs for a diagnosis. The current thought is the earlier diagnosed and earlier started on a disease modifying drug, the better. That may be why your neuro is pushing it. I would definitely discuss with your kidney doctor and get his/her thoughts.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X