Dizziness or off balance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dizziness or off balance?

Sorry to be repeating my dizzy questions. But I keep thinking of other possibilities that someone else might understand.

I always fail the balance test at the neuro's appointments. Right off, I can't think of the name of it. Anyway, I'm wondering if dizziness or lightheadedness are really the same thing as being unbalanced. Or do they have something to do with each other? It seems logical that if your balance is off you could become dizzy, right?

Thanks guys. This is such a tough symptom for me. The doctors all tell me there's nothing much they can do for it, but I keep searching.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti,

They are not the same thing.

You can have balance issues without being dizzy. Some causes can be related to the central nervous system independent of dizziness, but other causes outside the CNS can affect balance as well. Deconditioning and muscle weakness can contribute as one example.

However with dizziness, balance is often impacted. Once your vestibular system is out of whack, it is hard to stay balanced.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Pennstater explained it well. I have experienced both dizziness and being off balance. Dizziness for me is horribly uncomfortable, like vertigo and sometimes makes me nauseous. I can't stand it and thankfully rarely experience it, knock-wood.

On the other hand being off balance which happens on occasion, although a falls risk etc, doesn't make me feel wonky. When I had diplopia I was somewhat off balance but felt fine which seemed kind of odd at the time, no dizziness at all, I just couldn't see and had to watch where I walked. Even now in low light or the dark I have balance issues which I suspect indicates I use my eyes for balance maybe more than other people would?
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
      X