Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado warning and the basement steps

Be prepared for emergency situations.

Usually we don't go to the basement until the wind is pretty fierce with hail. When my dh came back from the barn he said it was time to get to the basement. He helped me scoot down the steps on my butt. It has been a good 10 years since I was in the basement. After the storm passed, it took awhile and a lot of convincing that I would not fall backwards as I tried to climb back up the old wooded steps.

I need a different plan. All suggestions are welcomed.

(Some tree damage but not to the house) We are were lucky.

So glad you are ok! Any chance of adding a ramp of some sort?
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Hi DorOMA.

Have you considered a stair lift?
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Storms really scare me. We lived on a farm and had a basement which gave me comfort, but it got harder and harder to climb the stairs.

I know it's not possible for everyone, but we got a realtor and he found us a house that is all on one level.. no stairs. But also.... no basement or hidey hole. For us it was a good move. We couldn't work the farm anymore... either of us... so moving was not a big hardship. I think our town has a shelter where people can go during a storm.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Great solutions. Thank you all! Dh and I are discussing all of them. The fact of our ages (mid & late 60's) and ms is making us think of a lot precautions and alternatives before we actually need them.

Comment

Probably could make new steps Dorma. More user friendly with you in mind. The weather seems to be getting crazier these days so it might have to be a priority. I’m glad you didn’t get hit too hard. It sounds pretty intense.
            It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

We've considered looking into new steps in the future. I can still go down ours -- one at a time, with a handrail. But they are slightly steeper than most. So I usually choose not to.

When I need something out of the freezer, I often send hubby down to get it.

DorOMA, if your stairs are that difficult, I'm glad you're thinking through different options.
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                We've considered looking into new steps in the future. I can still go down ours -- one at a time, with a handrail. But they are slightly steeper than most. So I usually choose not to.

When I need something out of the freezer, I often send hubby down to get it.

DorOMA, if your stairs are that difficult, I'm glad you're thinking through different options.

Your response made me remember that our hold farm house had a second entrance around the back which went directly into the basement. So some days (most) I just walked around the house and down a slight incline. Of course, hauling laundry back up was always tough. Sometimes I'd just scoot the basket up the stairs, one at a time. No easy solutions other than a lift or an elevator!
                Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

We got a stackable washer and dryer 10 years ago and moved our laundry to the main floor. I could scoot baskets up, one step at a time, but hubby had always needed to carry them down.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X