Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up with every 6 month appointments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dr, appts.

Hi-

In my case, I am on Rebif & get disability.

For the Rebif the dr. wants me to come in for bloodwork every 6 months. She won't refill the med without it.

For my disability, I get sent a form that needs to be filled out by my dr. The form lists the specific dates of prior appts. It also asks for continued proof of my disability. Without those visits would the I get cut off from benefits? I don't know but I don't want to find out!

-Jackie-

Comment

Originally posted by Doodlebug View Post
      Hi-

In my case, I am on Rebif & get disability.

For the Rebif the dr. wants me to come in for bloodwork every 6 months. She won't refill the med without it.

For my disability, I get sent a form that needs to be filled out by my dr. The form lists the specific dates of prior appts. It also asks for continued proof of my disability. Without those visits would the I get cut off from benefits? I don't know but I don't want to find out!

-Jackie-
      Those needing labs might be different also. Interesting that it seems, at least anecdotally here, those on disability are required to attend more appointments than those with private insurance.

In the area I work in medicare or medicaid pays for more and with less resistance than private insurance. Which is rather unfortunate, imo, for the working class stiff.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I was diagnosed in 2012 and I’ve had 6 month appointments ever since. Don’t know if it’s because I’m on Tecfidera and they need labs every 6 months? My Mri’s are always once a year. Had them every year for 6 years like clockwork....except for this year. This year my neuro ordereded me to wait until 18 months to get another mri. Something about the contrast being harmful or staying in the body awhile. So he now recommends me getting them every 18 months which is fine by me. Just made me wonder about the six years I’ve been getting the contrast and about how bad is it really for you!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
        ― Helen Keller

Comment

SSDI form

Yup, yup, yup...I got the dreaded paperwork from the SSDI today questioning if I still need my benefits. I wish I didn't, but this is definitely a good reason to not blow off my two yearly appointments (even though I agree that this could be overkill on the part of the medical community)!
          Tawanda

Comment

I get labs 4x per year to monitor my blood counts and Vitamin D levels.

I have neurology appointments every 6 months, prior to my rituximab infusions where we go over the most recent blood results and any protocol changes (last infusion we reduced the amount of steroids used for pre-meds).

I also get annual MRIs of brain, thoracic and cervical spine. I have also had an unrelated lumbar MRI that showed a previously undetected thoracic lesion. Since starting on rituximab my MRI results have been stable.

My neurologist is conservative and prefers more information than less so that's the regime I am stuck with until he retires.

Comment

We could solve the healthcare crisis in the US by telling our doctors we would like to have fewer appointments. They are just paying themselves for the work involved with keeping us on out treatments.

If I think something is excessive I just don’t go. But my neuro has helped me so I don’t mind seeing him at all.

Comment

Originally posted by palmtree View Post
                We could solve the healthcare crisis in the US by telling our doctors we would like to have fewer appointments.
                Lol, yes! Personally unless there is lab monitoring, as as has been mentioned here, or significant progression I think it is expensive overkill to go more than yearly especially in the cases of those not on medications.

My neuro is really nice also but there is no way I would have the time or inclination to go every six months unless I was in dire straits. I appreciate that he scaled me back from yearly to q18 months.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

From my point of view, my doctor likes to keep tabs on me cause also have other things he watch for apart from the ms despite my ms being very stable.

Also insurance and disability stuff likes to make sure you getting ongoing treatment has well, so a lot of doctors error on the safe side so things don't get cut off imho.

Like for me been on copoxone for about 8 years now and the insurances corps are trying to force people to generics now, but there are ways to get meds outside of the formality and so on, so having a good and update to thing with doctors helps with insurances try to pull fast ones, at-least I am hoping

Just my thoughts on matters based on experience and sorry for typos and errors

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                    From my point of view, my doctor likes to keep tabs on me cause also have other things he watch for apart from the ms despite my ms being very stable.
                    If you have other neurological stuff that makes sense. Although if just MS and someone is stable that seems like a very expensive "hi how are you? watch my finger" appointment.

I'm going through the Copaxone/generic thing myself and my doctor also doesn't want me on the generic so we have to fight with the insurance company on occasion but fortunately it isn't requiring in person visits to the doctor.
                    Anonymous

Comment

Appointments

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Been on Tecfidera for 4 years. MRI annually with no changes. Thinking of asking to be seen once yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by rsinger View Post
                        Yeah I was just thinking the same thing. Been on Tecfidera for 4 years. MRI annually with no changes. Thinking of asking to be seen once yearly.
                        Great news that you have been stable on Tecfidera for 4 year! Hopefully your neuro will agree and allow you to see them yearly.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          If you have other neurological stuff that makes sense. Although if just MS and someone is stable that seems like a very expensive "hi how are you? watch my finger" appointment.

I'm going through the Copaxone/generic thing myself and my doctor also doesn't want me on the generic so we have to fight with the insurance company on occasion but fortunately it isn't requiring in person visits to the doctor.
                          Yes, IMHO this is a primary driver of health costs in the US. Our doctors have been thrust into the position of police and regulators for everything from insurance companies to workplaces. Need a week out sick? Must have doctor's note to be out amd another to return. Need the Rx you've been taking for 2 decades? Must see the doctor in person. Need to prove you're still disabled? Need a letter from a doc. Want to play sports? Physical first.

I tell my PCP she's become my Primary Coordinator of Paperwork. It's very silly and a poor use of money and resources.

I mostly blame the insurance companies who set what they will lay for these visits and then use them to reduce overall payments.

Comment

Originally posted by trevvian View Post
                            I mostly blame the insurance companies who set what they will lay for these visits and then use them to reduce overall payments.
                            CMS is another contributor to the horrible health care situation in this country, in my opinion. They are like the IRS you just have to do what they say or they won't reimburse for services rendered. They and The Joint Commission (JCAHO)institute endless, ever changing, hoops for hospitals to jump through under the threat of losing the privilege to care for medicare and medicaid patients.

How come Canada and Germany have lower cost per capita for their health care system with better outcomes and a higher satisfaction rate? Worth noting this is older than I'd prefer so if anyone has seen data indicating this has changed please feel free to add it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3633404/

I'll refrain from even starting on the VA.
                            Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                            X