Improved walking speed and less foot drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improved walking speed and less foot drop

Has anyone experienced an improvement in walking speed and less feet drop after swimming in cold water? I live near the ocean in Southern CA but also swim in very cold Montana lake during summer. When I get out I'm able to walk much faster because of increased leg strength and less foot drop. Unfortunately, it typically doesn't last for more than 10-15 minutes but you can imagine my joy. I'm currently employed and use either an AFO or walkaide device everyday. My weakness on the right side has become noticeable in the last two years. Unfortunately Ocrevus is not working for me but I won't ever give up the fight. I always root for the underdog. Plus, I have a CA mortgage and three dependents......haha

DX 2010

That is really interesting. I wonder if the cold somehow interrupts nerve signals. Amazing that it would feel more normal. Have you asked your neuro about it.

Sorry that Ocrevus isn't working for you. Are you exploring other options? Wouldn't even want to know what your CA mortgage is. Always amazes me on the HGTV or DIY when they show real estate in CA. I live in a somewhat high cost of living area, but no where near CA😱
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by coronado2010 View Post
      Has anyone experienced an improvement in walking speed and less feet drop after swimming in cold water? I live near the ocean in Southern CA but also swim in very cold Montana lake during summer. When I get out I'm able to walk much faster because of increased leg strength and less foot drop. Unfortunately, it typically doesn't last for more than 10-15 minutes but you can imagine my joy. I'm currently employed and use either an AFO or walkaide device everyday. My weakness on the right side has become noticeable in the last two years. Unfortunately Ocrevus is not working for me but I won't ever give up the fight. I always root for the underdog. Plus, I have a CA mortgage and three dependents......haha

DX 2010
      Yes, constantly, in many different circumstances. I was out bicycling the other day in upper 80's temps, not generally a problem, but I ran out of water. Had to stop at a park, get off the bike and refill my water bottle. By the time I had refilled and gotten back to my bike I was sweating bullets, beginning to get very clumsy and slowing down dramatically! But, 10 minutes after getting back on the bike and moving again, the evaporative cooling effect of the wind on my sweat soaked jersey had nearly restored me.

I liken this to the super cooling required to keep a supercomputer running. Neural impulses create heat just like electrical impulses. Heat accumulation will eventually slow the impulses, a fact which is extra critical in persons with MS because the neural insulation, myelin, is compromised. Some kind of cooling is essential to keeping the impulses flowing optimally. In your case, pre-cooling worked for 10 to 15 minutes, for me, evaporative cooling works, others use cooling vests.

Another way I use to explain why I can bicycle in relatively high temperatures is to consider your blood as a coolant, your heart as the coolant pump and your body as a radiator. They work together to cool your brain and keep you functioning, as well as possible.

Comment

Very interesting. I wonder if others have experienced this? Interesting and usually not so clear cut. I wonder if others with MS who suffer from heat intolerance would also show improvements if they were in a colder environment? Or used cooling devices.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
          Very interesting. I wonder if others have experienced this? Interesting and usually not so clear cut. I wonder if others with MS who suffer from heat intolerance would also show improvements if they were in a colder environment? Or used cooling devices.
          Jules, I function better when cool, but definitely not when cold.

Besides heat intolerance, I also have cold intolerance.

Being in water that is cold, cool, or even lukewarm causes instant spasticity for me.

Going outside in cold weather causes my muscles to turn to stone, and I am unable to move my limbs or even turn my head.

Article about cold intolerance, MS, and the autonomic nervous system (from the NMSS magazine Momentum):

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...-up-to-winter/

Take Care
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

pennstater - my neuro found the cold water improvement interesting. After this discovery I was very excited to try a real deep freeze- cryo therapy. I thought this might be the magic bullet. Unfortunately I didn’t have the same improvement. We discussed tysabri but last time we checked I was JC virus positive. Thanks for listening!

Comment

That’s great that you’re able to still continue cycling. What made my discovery so interesting is that I wasn’t experiencing heat or fatigue of any kind because I wasn’t exercising prior to entering the water. I love weight lifting in any 24hr fitness that is cranking the AC but know it’s only a matter of time before I drop a 45lb plate on my toe 😂

Comment

Thanks for all the info!
                KoKo I have always gotten shaky in the extreme cold with it notably worse as I've aged and since MS diagnosis.
                He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                X