Question about MRI lesions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about MRI lesions

I am just curious... how is it possible for them to determine that the "damage occurred at different points in time". I would ask my neurologist but I do not have one anymore at this point since I "fired" my old one for being an uncaring grouchy person.

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
    I am just curious... how is it possible for them to determine that the "damage occurred at different points in time". I would ask my neurologist but I do not have one anymore at this point since I "fired" my old one for being an uncaring grouchy person.
    Daisycat ~

If there is a new, additional lesion since the original MRI, then damage has occurred at different times.

Also, if gadolinium dye is used, and one lesion "lights up" and other lesion doesn't, that would also indicate damage at different times. The one that lights up is new, the one that doesn't light up is older.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Daisycat ~

If there is a new, additional lesion since the original MRI, then damage has occurred at different times.

Also, if gadolinium dye is used, and one lesion "lights up" and other lesion doesn't, that would also indicate damage at different times. The one that lights up is new, the one that doesn't light up is older.

Take Care

This is a good explanation. I never really knew either. When I was diagnosed back in 2001 I had several "bright spots" on my first MRI. One of my doctors always felt that I had MS for many years before the dx. Thanks.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

I was under the impression if one lights up it’s because it is “active” and causing a flare. Like I said before my neurologist has basically been dr google since my old one was worthless.

Comment

I was under the impression if one lights up it’s because it is “active” and causing a flare.
          You are right about that. The lesion lights up because there is active inflammation going on. I think an active/inflamed lesion will light up for a month or so.

Take Care
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Daisycat ~

If interested, this article called Demystifying MRI's (from the National MS Society Magazine, Momentum) explains MRI lesions, and has MRI scans showing lesions with and without gadolinium, and taken two months apart.

Better than Dr. Google.

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...stifying-mris/

Take Care

Comment

I was under the impression if one lights up it’s because it is “active” and causing a flare.
              Forgot to add, new lesions on the MRI don't always cause a flare (relapse/symptoms).

From the article:

One challenge with MRI images is linking them to the clinical manifestation of the disease, such as a relapse or symptom. For instance, new lesions, or plaques, appear on MRI scans about 10 times more frequently than when clinical relapses with symptoms occur.

Therefore, many of the plaques that are seen on MRI are “clinically silent,” which means that they don’t result in new symptoms.

http://www.momentummagazineonline.co...stifying-mris/

Take Care

Comment

Low Level Demylenation

I've also heard of Low Level Demylenation that could cause symptoms but show no indication on an MRI.
                The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                  I've also heard of Low Level Demylenation that could cause symptoms but show no indication on an MRI.
                  Yes, that's also common in the progressive stages (PPMS and SPMS), often referred to as neurodegeneration with low levels of inflammation/disease activity on MRI scans.

Take Care

Comment

Working...
                  X