Do you sweat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you sweat?

I just had a session with a multiple sclerosis occupational therapist about heat. She was going over cooling vests, etc, and said ”I’ll bet you don’t sweat, do you?” I hadn’t thought about it, but I don’t. I can’t remember the last time I got sweaty. Hot, yes, but no sweat.

As if we don’t have enough problems with heat, a lot of us don’t sweat, so our natural cooling mechanism is not working.

A couple years before I was diagnosed with MS I had a case of heat stroke. We were down in Arkansas in July... walking around... and I was getting sicker and sicker. Could not sweat! We had to buy water to pour over my head. That was my first round of heat problems and I couldn't sweat for years after that.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Hi kmallory1.

I have not perspired for several years. My face will turn beet red when I get warm/hot and I am very uncomfortable, but no perspiration. When I started getting hot flashes (postmenopausal) I had to go on HRT, my body could not cool me down and they became unbearable. I felt like I was going to self-combust.

On the flip-side of this I am usually cold and have a difficult time warming up.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I haven't sweat since I was a young adult. I can't cool down until I have a fan blowing on me full blast.

And like Snoopy, I have a hard time warming up when it's cold. I have Raynauds which has worsened with age. Both my cooling and heating systems are really messed up!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I sweat a little but like Snoopy said my face gets beet red and takes a long time to resolve. I'm hot flashing a bit now and so far not too awful and no sweating at all. I'd really like HRT more because of how freaking old my face looks now. Its awful and I swear my girlfriends on HRT look 10 years younger. A gynecologist I know said she can walk into a room and tell the women who are on hormones. Getting old sucks perhaps only topped by getting old with MS. I totally get it beats the alternative though.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

May be the first guy to respond to OP. Agree with everyone...

I too do not sweat with the qualifier that I am inconsistent.

Humid days bring on head perspiration to some degree. Always sipping water while doing anything physical.... Don't feel I need it but my mind tells my body "YOU NEED IT!." Thank God. No heat stroke. Can use a hot tub. Hot days or heat in general doesn't bother me. Cold is another story.

MS is not only a thief, it's a lier.

Comment

I sweat when I swim. Seriously, I sweat easily and a lot.
              The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I am just the opposite. I sweat tons! I’m always looking like I just stepped out of the shower. I hate going shopping because I’m always dripping wet. I’ve had people come up to me in the store asking if I was ok? It’s embarrassing! Physically, I feel fine. Just sweat bucket loads for whatever reason. It could be cold outside and I still sweat. I rarely even wear a jacket in the winter. I’d be sitting at my desk at work and out of nowhere start sweating. It’s confused me for years.

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
                ― Helen Keller

Comment

I sweat, then I get horribly red-faced after going ghostly pale. It looks almost comical, like Casper blushing furiously.
                  "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                  Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by ladybug162 View Post
                    I am just the opposite. I sweat tons! I’m always looking like I just stepped out of the shower.
                    This was me, I would just drip perspiration, until approximately 5 or so years ago. I thrived in cooler/colder temperatures and would rarely wear a coat. I have had MS the majority of my life.

Jules:
                    I'm hot flashing a bit now and so far not too awful and no sweating at all. I'd really like HRT more because of how freaking old my face looks now.
                    I have only been using HRT for 3 months so I don't know about looking younger I didn't deal with hot flashes until postmenopausal then it hit fast and hard. I wanted to try and deal with hot flashes in a more natural way but that didn't work.

Seasha:
                    I have Raynauds which has worsened with age. Both my cooling and heating systems are really messed up!
                    I was recently diagnosed with Raynaud's and have wondered if that has anything to do with how cold I am. A fair amount of the day I am either putting my hands under warm/hot water or using a small heating pad for the hands.
                    Diagnosed 1984
                    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Opposite for me. I am one of 4, 2 of us inherited the sweat gene, 2 did not. Right now, exacerbated by hot flashes. Not fun at all. My husband and I joke that he is retiring south, me, to Maine! This humid summer has been brutal.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

This is interesting to know. Trying to think back to the last time I remember that I sweated. I know it's been at least 5 years.

I know it is hard to get warm also, you'll see me in long sleeves before anybody else.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                        X