Migraines or Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migraines or Trigeminal Neuralgia?

Back to this. My neuro agrees that I have Trigeminal Neuralgia, causing sharp pains in my head (temples) and cheeks and jaw. This has been the general dx for a long time among different doctors. But now he thinks I could be having migraines. Wouldn't I know if I was having migraine headaches???

This is bothering me because he has never ordered a MRI, while other neuros in the past ordered them every couple of years. He made that decision purely on our physical exam. Does this sound right? I think I'm headed back to my back-up doctor who was my first MS doctor and has this disease herself.

This man is a good doctor, but this issue has really bothered me and left me scratching my head. Thanks guys.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

My TN was dx'ed w/o MRI and I believe it to be accurate. I would think you would know if you were having migraines.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Oh yuk! TN is awful. I'm so sorry you've got that to deal with too.

You could, sadly, have both TN and migraines. I do. It's sucktastic. And, no, you may not "know" right off that the pain you're having is migraine. They can come to each "lucky recipient" in slightly different ways, so your way of feeling it can be different from mine and different from the "textbook definition" too.

About the lack of a MRI for that - meh. My neurologist diagnosed my TN without one too. No reason to get worried. With MS being the likely cause there's not much info a new MRI would give them anyway. Of course, if it's been ages since you had one, asking can't hurt.

Were you ever offered any medicines for the TN? There are a few choices, they can help stop the spasming before it starts.

I wish you luck.
      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

Working...
      X