Shingles Vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles Vaccine

It is recommended that adults 50+ get the new shingles vaccine. For PwMS, on a DMT, how many have gotten the new shot? Does it matter that our immune systems are suppressed due to the DMT? Just curious. . .

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Hi dm0329. It's always best to check with your Neurologist for you individual case, but here is some information from The National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Li...s/Vaccinations

Shingles vaccine (Shingrix®)
    The CDC recommends Shingrix, a non-live vaccine for the prevention of herpes zoster (shingles) and related complications. The vaccine, which is given in two doses separated by 2 to 6 months, is recommended over Zostavax® (the previously approved vaccine for shingles). Shingrix is approved for adults 50 years and older:
    whether or not they have had a prior episode of herpes zoster or have had a dose of Zostavax
    who have a chronic medical condition, unless there is a specific reason why the individual should not have it
    who are getting other adult vaccines such as influenza and pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccines
    No studies of Shingrix have been done in people with MS. However, in two clinical studies with Shingrix, there was no increase in immune-mediated conditions.
    The CDC indicates that a person who is taking a low-dose immunosuppressive therapy or is going to begin taking an immunosuppressive medication can take Shingrix. It is very important to discuss this vaccine with the healthcare provider who is treating your MS to ensure that it is appropriate for you.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi,my doc told me to get the new shots,I was told it’s two shots,not at the same time

Comment

Originally posted by dm0329 View Post
        It is recommended that adults 50+ get the new shingles vaccine. For PwMS, on a DMT, how many have gotten the new shot? Does it matter that our immune systems are suppressed due to the DMT? Just curious. . .

Thanks, in advance, for your input!
        I had both shots in the past few months. It is not a live virus, so it is recommended for everyone to get. I’m 66, but someone told me you had to be 60 to receive the shot or there would be an additional cost. I paid $160 for each shot. I’m on Tysabri, so I had my shots midway between infusions. I recommend getting the shot in the arm opposite the one you sleep on, if you do. There was some soreness involved.

Comment

Working...
        X