Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What positive thing(s) have happened to you since your diagnosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What positive thing(s) have happened to you since your diagnosis?

We all know how overwhelming it can be to get a diagnosis of MS.
    I thought maybe people would like to share a positive experience or event while living with MS. It does not have to be MS related. It might help those with a new diagnosis to see that life goes on.

Love this post Kitty!

I have learned to live more “in the moment” and appreciate every day as a blessing.

I have become more empathetic and compassionate to others.

I’ve taken a new interest in bird watching, feeding, and providing bird baths. It brings me joy 😊

I’m celebrating my 10-year anniversary at work (5 years after being blind in the hospital) – I’m still there, they still like me and most of my coworkers know I have MS. They don’t treat me any differently.

I celebrated my 10-year wedding anniversary 😊

I wrote a preschool children’s book that’s available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

I’ve deepened my relationship with God and have been studying more about Him.

I appreciate all that I SEE! I thought I was “done for” in 2013 in the hospital with double vision. But I still drive, work, etc.

I still live for and enjoy my morning coffee 😊

Ok, I’ll get back to you if I think of anything else…. 😉

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by VikingKitty View Post
      Love this post Kitty!

I have learned to live more “in the moment” and appreciate every day as a blessing.

I have become more empathetic and compassionate to others.

I’ve taken a new interest in bird watching, feeding, and providing bird baths. It brings me joy ��

I’m celebrating my 10-year anniversary at work (5 years after being blind in the hospital) – I’m still there, they still like me and most of my coworkers know I have MS. They don’t treat me any differently.

I celebrated my 10-year wedding anniversary ��

I wrote a preschool children’s book that’s available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

I’ve deepened my relationship with God and have been studying more about Him.

I appreciate all that I SEE! I thought I was “done for” in 2013 in the hospital with double vision. But I still drive, work, etc.

I still live for and enjoy my morning coffee ��

Ok, I’ll get back to you if I think of anything else…. ��

You just made me smile. Thanks for your post. Drinking my coffee right now.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
        We all know how overwhelming it can be to get a diagnosis of MS.
        I thought maybe people would like to share a positive experience or event while living with MS. It does not have to be MS related. It might help those with a new diagnosis to see that life goes on.
        Thanks kittysmith

My positive things have been mostly inner gifts.

Deep appreciation for all the "little things", and great joy when things go "my way".

Times of real peace.

Ability to graciously accept help from others. Ability to see the good parts of other people.

Perseverance.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

My life with MS

I guess I should share some of my experiences. I was diagnosed in 2008, but had symptoms from the mid 90's. I was diagnosed when I had optic neuritis. RRMS

Since my diagnosis, I have continued to work full time at my job (just celebrated 13 years of service). 3 weeks after my diagnosis, my son was diagnosed with Autism (also a blessing in disguise). He just turned 12 and is doing great. He's the best thing that ever happened to me. My husband completed his Master of Divinity while I worked. Now, he is a chaplain for a hospice organization (hurray for two incomes). We celebrated our 20 year anniversary last year. I hope to publish a children's book as well. I still read, write, draw, paint, make jewelry, travel, and watch a lot of documentaries (I'm a big history buff).

It's not the end of the world. Life goes on. Peace and love to you all.

Comment

My husband completed his Master of Divinity while I worked. Now, he is a chaplain for a hospice organization
            What an incredible calling! Awesome! Brought a tear to my eye

Comment

What a great idea & thread, Kittysmith!

For me today, 13 yrs since my RRMS diagnosis in 2005:

- My “best half” & I celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary

- I exercise more regularly

- I track what I eat and have dropped over 40 lbs

- I am in control of my $$, and save more

- I celebrated 24 yrs working at the same co. this year - been promoted twice and now manage a team of 30 people

- I practice yoga and meditation

- I’ve proudly walked our 2 daughters down the aisle at their weddings

- I have learned to appreciate the beauty that abounds on this earth

- I have learned to focus my energy and time on relationships with people that matter the most to me (and filter out those that don’t...life is too short)

- I have more gratitude & contentment, and I am thankful for every day (the years go by faster & faster)

- We plan long term instead of living for the day, and our retirement dreams are getting closer and closer...

Life does go on!

Wishing you all well.

Comment

one more thing

I forgot one important thing for my list since my diagnosis (actually 3 months after getting out of the hospital with double vision) --

I adopted an 8 year old cat (she's now 13) - I chose her because she was one of the oldest at the shelter and figured she had a slim chance of getting picked. She's a little lover - is always sitting in my lap (even as I write this )

The shelter believes she was a stray that already had a home but got lost. No one ever claimed her. I gave her a second chance at a good life.

Comment

Oh man! I have had this disease for the majority of my life and yet, there are so many blessings mixed into this journey.

- A married of 37 years

- Two awesome children who are awesome adults. I am one proud mom I was a soccer mom, taxi for my children and their friends.

- Animals, always animals. dogs and cats.

- Love, laughter, joy and sadness. So much love in my life.

- Close friends. One I have known since 7th grade, we lost contact after High school and ended up finding each other about 10 years ago in a different state from where we went to school.

- I was never a person who liked to exercise, that changed after my diagnosis. I started walking daily and found my "sweet spot" of 2 miles. I use a 4-station weight machine and elliptical

- Vacations, lots of vacations. Disneyland twice. Yellowstone twice. Mount Rushmore. New Mexico, California, Idaho, Utah, Nevada (Vegas baby!), and so many more. Looking forward to many new adventures.

- I have learned to notice the beauty surrounding me, to respect where my path in life leads me. To not fear what may be ahead, but love where I am. I enjoy my life, the good and bad.

- I have learned I am stronger than I thought, I have the ability to stand and fight whatever may come my way. I will stand my ground were hope can be found.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Wow!

You all are outdoing me. Lol.

It's funny how life turns you in a different direction than you expected. We had infertility problems. Tried for 8 years to get pregnant. My husband and his brother were adopted, so we decided to go that route. We were only on the waiting list for 3 weeks and were chosen by a birth mother. My son was born 3 weeks later. So, 6 day turnaround time to get ready for a newborn. We were there when he was born. His autism diagnosis at age 3 has never held us 9 or him back. He's just a regular kid who thinks differently. And, clearly, he was meant to be our child. He is a gift. He has made me a more patient, thankful, blessed person.

Comment

Great thread! It is so nice to hear your stories. I have truly been blessed despite/since being diagnosed with MS.

-restarted exercising after a long hiatus, ran my first 5k in my 40s, one of the best days of my life
                      -went back to school, got several advanced degrees and make way more money than I could have imagined
                      -bought 2 more rental properties
                      -I am much more patient and kinder to those with disabilities, probably less kind and patient to those who are able mind/bodied and wallow but that is an area I'm working on
                      -have taken many great trips both pleasure and for work which I enjoy as much as pleasure
                      -have worked approximately 50 hours a week and saved a decent chunk of change so with my iron clad advanced directive my financial future should be secure, not crazy posh but comfortable
                      -I have loved a houseful of cats and three dogs, we currently have one dog and I can probably justify one or two more puppies left before we get too old to adopt.

Again despite some progression and the constant nagging of MS in the back of my mind I have kept it moving and so far have been very blessed.

This board was a God send in the early years. I wish more participated now but recent threads show we are still here and will rally to help others as needed.
                      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Yes, great to see all the positives!

I forgot to mention our dogs too...only one now but all over the years since have been great companions. We’ll always have at least one in our home.

Also that I choose to take the stairs whenever possible since my diagnosis...because I can. Hopefully I’ll always be able to but I don’t want to take it for granted.
                        (Plus it’s good exercise)

Comment

It's funny how life turns you in a different direction than you expected. We had infertility problems. Tried for 8 years to get pregnant. My husband and his brother were adopted, so we decided to go that route. We were only on the waiting list for 3 weeks and were chosen by a birth mother. My son was born 3 weeks later. So, 6 day turnaround time to get ready for a newborn. We were there when he was born. His autism diagnosis at age 3 has never held us 9 or him back. He's just a regular kid who thinks differently. And, clearly, he was meant to be our child. He is a gift. He has made me a more patient, thankful, blessed person.
                          Kitty that is so wonderful. What a tremendous gift for you, your husband, and your son that you became a family!

We can learn so much from our children...even when they’re grown up & have flown the coop.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingKitty View Post
                            I adopted an 8 year old cat (she's now 13) - I chose her because she was one of the oldest at the shelter and figured she had a slim chance of getting picked
                            Bless your heart!!

What a great post, just reading it makes me feel good! My list of "blessings" due to MS is:

- I went on long term disability in 2007 so due to not working I got to spend a lot of time with my angel of a Mum until she passed away in 2010 at the age of 86. We're a really tiny family so this meant the world to me.

- I adopted my first dog, he's a rescue and adds so much to mine and my family's life. He's my picture on this site. I love being a full time pet Mum. We also have cats, 3 right now, 1 is a kitten. I LOVE my pets and have time to spoil them now. The kids are older, they have sports, jobs, etc. and a couple live on their own so sometimes it's just me and the animals.

- My husband had to fight in court for full custody of his 3 boys in 2009, which he got. I was the paperwork queen, kept things in order for him (seemed like a full time job at times) but it was so worth it.

- I had the time to make dinner, help with homework, etc. for our 6 kids (mine were the older three and his boys were the younger three). I don't drive (thanks MS) so I was the person at "home base" making dinner, etc. while my husband was the rink taxi (plus everywhere the kids needed to go). One thing that I laugh at is due to my 1 blind eye and 1 dim eye my husband got the "pleasure" of teaching ALL of the kids to drive!

- When I had my kids maternity leave was 17 weeks then right back to work so even being able to have them come home for lunch was a treat for all of us, plus having them home right after school instead of going to a babysitter was another treat. It was such a short period of time in the kids' lives, they are now 22, 23, 25, 27, 29 and 31, the time went by so quickly.

- I have hobbies now. I love restoring things such as furniture and doing crafts. I now know how to knit. I am alone a lot of time so these things take my mind off my troubles and fill the time. It goes by so quickly when I'm immersed!

There's so many more but I think these are my top 4. I'll look forward to reading more of these.

Jen
                            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Yep i prefer these threads some times too. Though its good to get others opinions if you need it and vent about worries as well as help others its nice to share positives too.
                              Especially if your like me and am a bit isolated. Feels more like a chat than a whinge.

Snoopy:
                              - I have learned I am stronger than I thought, I have the ability to stand and fight whatever may come my way. I will stand my ground were hope can be found.

The pride i have in my husbands and my own perseverance and ability to handle 'anything' and get on with it ,together,for the benefit of our loved ones and ourselves is enormous.

We have had so many challenges to overcome in our 34yrs of marriage.
                              Not least of which was the birth of our 5 sons in 6 yrs.
                              Add to this approx 35yrs of ms and caring for elderly and ill parents on both sides and
                              still achieving well ourselves career/ business wise all while not worrying anyone but ourselves with our medical problems.

Our pride in our children is also enormous .
                              Although we don't always agree with 100% of their actions they are all truly good hearted honest adults who care to do what is right and always do their best.
                              I cried when my last son finished school(they all attended) and the teachers told us that they would be happy to teach our children any day. I thanked them for contributing to the people our sons now were with hugs and tears.They still keep in touch.

There are certainly things i would like to have done differently in my life (hindsite) but maybe it is like this quote-
                              Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
                              Caroline

Comment

Working...
                              X