The info found online about this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The info found online about this

Since I know a few people asked me for the info I was reading here are some of the things

Since we can’t post links…
    Relapsing-remitting MS may become steadily progressive with continued attacks and partial recoveries. This is called secondary-progressive MS. Of those who start with relapsing-remitting, more than half will develop secondary-progressive MS within ten years; 90 percent within 25 years.
    No. Moreover, the majority of people with MS do not become severely disabled. Two-thirds of people who have MS remain able to walk, though many will need an aid, such as a cane or crutches, and some will use a scooter or wheelchair because of fatigue, weakness, balance problems, or to assist with conserving energy.

(using a cane or walker to me is being a cripple because I can’t work or basically do anything) That doesn’t sound very promising for a normal and worthwhile future…. There are more but that was about as much as I could read about this curse since I work today and I would rather my crying spell be over by that time.

All of the below quotes are sourced from Healthline. Just search for Multiple Sclerosis on that site.

"The good news is that many people living with MS don’t develop severe disabilities. Most have a normal or near-normal lifespan."

"Untreated, about 50 percent of people with RRMS transition to SPMS within a decade of the initial diagnosis, estimates a 2017 study. About 90 percent of people transition within 25 years."

"PPMS is diagnosed in about 15 percent of people with MS, estimates the National MS Society."
    All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by gargantua View Post
      All of the below quotes are sourced from Healthline. Just search for Multiple Sclerosis on that site.

"The good news is that many people living with MS don’t develop severe disabilities. Most have a normal or near-normal lifespan."

"Untreated, about 50 percent of people with RRMS transition to SPMS within a decade of the initial diagnosis, estimates a 2017 study. About 90 percent of people transition within 25 years."

"PPMS is diagnosed in about 15 percent of people with MS, estimates the National MS Society."
      In case the moderator will allow the link, here is the Healthline article. There are indeed a ton when you search Multiple Sclerosis there.

https://www.healthline.com/health/mu...-infographic#8
      All the best, ~G

Comment

Daisycat,

You need to realize a few things about the stats:
        1. Copaxone came on the market in 1997. So even the earliest meds arent 25 years old.
        2. The earlier meds have the lowest efficacy rating. The higher efficacy rates are on the newer meds, which havent been around that long. Some of these, insurers require evidence of failure on other needs first. Some insures are now realizing that is backwards and allowing the newer meds as first line choice, with the thought that they will prevent damage and therefore need for other symptom meds and hospital care, inflating their costs.
        3. Even when meds existed, it took longer to get diagnosed. For many now, there is a shorter window due to better MRI technology and medical awareness. This is important, as the earlier meds are started after first relapse, the better the prognosis.
        4. Some people get diagnosed wirh Clinically Isolated Syndrone, CIS. Studies have shown that treatnent of CIS can delay, and in some cases, diminish any chance of MS diagnosis. So these people are not in stats.

So the stats you list are not representative of the people who are expected to benefit from the newer meds. They include many people who never had the opportunity to start on a DMT, or when they did it was after flare damage, and/or, only had choices of low efficacy treatments.

Neuros will tell you these stats are not representative of their patient profiles.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Old stats

The statistics are old, outdated and obsolete.

keyword being untreated here.

MS prognosis is changing every decade... who knows wat will be out in the next 10 years!

Comment

The newer meds are sadly less likely to have 100% copay assistance. I am going by research online since these companies aren’t really willing to tell someone not on their meds how much help they can get. .... and since I’m limited in my choices you are saying I’m a greater chance to be a cripple since I’m on copaxone... my source didn’t say untreated. I’ll have to post gbe

Comment

Move

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
              The newer meds are sadly less likely to have 100% copay assistance. I am going by research online since these companies aren’t really willing to tell someone not on their meds how much help they can get. .... and since I’m limited in my choices you are saying I’m a greater chance to be a cripple since I’m on copaxone... my source didn’t say untreated. I’ll have to post gbe
              move to Canada (Alberta) you get meds for paying taxes and it’s taken care of 😉

j/k but you really worrying about things that may never be true.

Take care are of yourself

Comment

Accuracy

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
                The newer meds are sadly less likely to have 100% copay assistance. I am going by research online since these companies aren’t really willing to tell someone not on their meds how much help they can get
                With Tysabri, in advance of going on the med, Biogen gives you a case manager who works with your doctor and insurance company. The case manager hooks you up with the financial assistance department to verify participation in their $0 copay program in advance of going on the med.

The above clarification is for anyone looking into Tysabri who comes across this thread. Biogen states verbatim they do not want anyone denied treatment because of money.
                All the best, ~G

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
                  move to Canada (Alberta) you get meds for paying taxes and it’s taken care of 😉

j/k but you really worrying about things that may never be true.

Take care are of yourself
                  I would actually love too. I can think of at least 4-5 reasons so... just help me convince my boyfriend and I’d do it.

Comment

Always look for the most recent studies. My friend's son had cancer. The old studies listed the cure rate at 10%. The actual cure rate for that cancer at the time of diagnosis was 90%. (He was cured.)

Looking at MS studies from 2000 is like using a musty old medical book from 1890. 🙂

Comment

Working...
                    X