Ok I think it’s time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I think it’s time

This is a little embarrassing but I think I need addiction counseling.

i used cocaine the last 2/4 weekends, smoked some marijuana and got drunk. I know it’s the last thing I was thinking of doing during my nasty dx relapse last year I said I would never do it again.

ive always struggled with drug and alcohol abuse even before I got MS dx. I’m really feeling stupid especially how well I recovered and thinking everything is back 2 normal.

have I not learned yet? I think it’s time to get addiction counseling now .. I don’t feel to good about myself right now.

Hello Ant 1981,

Today is a new day! What an advantage to be able to start over and conquer the failures of the day before.

Yesterday is past. Decide who you want to be today, how you want to live, and begin taking steps in that direction.

We all fail; we all fall. Pick yourself up and head in the direction you want to go with your life. If you are in an addiction get help.

Center your life in the core belief that you are good and your life can impact others for good. Love as you desire people love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
      ive always struggled with drug and alcohol abuse even before I got MS dx. I’m really feeling stupid especially how well I recovered and thinking everything is back 2 normal.

have I not learned yet? I think it’s time to get addiction counseling now .. I don’t feel to good about myself right now.
      Ant ~ sounds like you are aware of the problem and are willing to do something about it.

We're fortunate to be living in these times, where there is plenty of help and support available nowadays for addiction issues - no good excuses for not getting help.

Been sober for 32 years and it's the best thing that I've ever done for myself.

You can do it.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Don't be embarrassed Ant. We all have our dark sides but admitting to them and seeking help proves you have an inner strength to move forward in your life. I know you are capable of doing this.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Go to NA if you're looking for cocaine and can't quit. Marijuana isn't addictive, but the counseling could help you smoke less if wanted... it's more tolerated now, and might even help you with MS. Alcohol is tolerated by society, but if not by you, AA is where to go if you can't quit it. Help is out there when you're ready for it.

If you can stick to "no needles, powders, or rocks" you're okay in my book.

Comment

I'm impressed

I think you are so brave. It must be difficult to make a decison like that. Good luck to you, my friend. Best wishes for a brighter future.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you everyone for your kind suppor, wen I have a beer I can’t stop at 1-2, I keep going and then get a craving for cocaine bump and I feel like crap but bounce back, I’m so sick of the cycle. Time to do something about it... especially now that I have a MS diagnosis and should focus on excersize, diet and healthy living, not getting drunk and high and parties. I don’t want my MS to progress but street drugs and alcohol are an issue for ppl with or without MS but with MS no good can come of it certainly, it’s time just to straight quit and relieve myself of the constant battle with myself.

Still on the fence with marijuana but gonna ask my neuro for possible medical marijuana cause you really don’t ever know wats in it from a street dealer. I thought MS patients use marijuana for pain and spasticity sx, which I don’t have pain and so minimal spasticity. CBD is another option without the “high”

gawd, I’m so done with my twenties lifestyle but at 37 I’m still messing around, time to make a chg.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
                gawd, I’m so done with my twenties lifestyle but at 37 I’m still messing around, time to make a chg.
                Usually when we have had enough of negative life choices and thoughts is when positive changes can happen. Move forward and don't look back
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Ant,

Good for you for recognizing a problem and coming here to share with us. Many of us have witnessed your transition from your earlier flare that freaked you out to recovering and getting back on a healthy life style with exercise, etc. and that is commendable! We were all cheering for you.

This one too can change, but it's up to you and only you! I know you can do it and if it takes addiction counseling, more the better.

I wish you well on this next journey, Ant, and please take care.
                  1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                  Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Ant,

The biggest step is recognizing a problem. You can't work on something when you don't admit it. So congrats on taking that big first step.

Using drugs or alcohol may help you feel " normal", but it is just a false illusion.

When I think of how far you have come since your relapse and diagnosis, and the strength you have shown to get where you are today, I have no doubt you can conquer this too. Just don't be afraid to reach out to professionals for help if you need it. Just like physical therapists helped you recover, narcotics/alcohol counselors have the knowledge to aid in this.

Glad you reached out here. Keep us updated.
                    Kathy
                    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for Sharing

Telling your story took tremendous courage and reaching out for help is a huge step. You know what you have to do and you are the only one who can do it. No one is going to put that powder in your nose. I had the same problem with stopping at 1 or 2 beers but not anymore. I decided to let that be a part of my past not my future.

The best time to stop: NOW
                      The best place to stop: HERE

Control your mind. Step in the right direction.
                      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Hi Ant

Check out the "if you run out of spoons thread". When you feel like drinking or taking drugs, I am guessing that it is probably a moment of weakness because you have "run out of spoons". There were many good suggestions on that thread that sound like they could be used as healthy alternatives when you are tempted with an unhealthy choice. Good luck
                        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
                        X