X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you run out of spoons?

I ran across this:
    https://psychcentral.com/blog/have-y...out-of-spoons/

It's based on the spoon theory but has a list of how to add more spoons, some might be helpful, some might not...but it's a good read. If you have not read the original "The Spoon Theory" by Christine Miserandino, here it is:
    https://butyoudontlooksick.com/artic...-spoon-theory/
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

spoons

Thanks for putting this up. I really like the article and the fact that (in theory ) we can manage our tasks and supply of spoons, or other utensils. Sometimes it's not possible but usually a good laugh can help to change our attitude. Lost of good tips in the article.
    indulge

Comment

Thank you SNOOPY.

I find that meditation, healthy foods, listening to music, and watching a good movie can help me to feel energized.

Pushing (not PUSHING) myself to be up on my feet and active for 30 min at a time, several times a day, also helps - in combination with taking short rest periods (not sleeping, but relaxing in recliner to recharge my nerve signals).

Talking with people who are pleasant, while avoiding those who are drainers, also is important to me.

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Koko and indulge, thank you for sharing!

I am an introvert and over time I have found my alone time adds to my "spoons."

Most definitely laughter. Sharing that laughter with close friends and family is the best. Music is a huge part of my daily life. I embrace spirituality but not necessarily religion. Prayer and the use of crystals. Smudging for cleansing both myself and my home. I am working on meditation, it's not coming very easy, but I keep trying.

All of the above helps replenish and energize me, body and soul.

KoKo:
        Talking with people who are pleasant, while avoiding those who are drainers, also is important to me.
        Most definitely!
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi Snoopy,

Thanks for the additional thinking regarding the Spoon theory. It's been years since i read the theory and it still holds, as do the suggestions for securing another spoon or two.

Something related, I wondered if others may have noticed. Over the years of progressive loss, my body (maybe yours), without any conscious planning, finds a way to accomplish the task at hand. This amazes me.

Our new bodies, if we listen, will always tell us how to execute just about anything. Problems arise when we attempt to accomplish said task at the speed we use to do them.

An example; hurrying in exercise creates incorrect form; hurrying while walking creates gait issues (swing foot or a peg leg). And fatigue! Guess this is another choice required by anyone dealing with a chronic issue.

If you're going to do it, try to do it as close to normal as you can. Yet another spoon spent.

Sorry for the ramble Snoopy. I'm constantly amazed by how resilient and yet how fragile our bodies (and more importantly our dispositions) can be.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
            I am working on meditation, it's not coming very easy, but I keep trying.
            There are so many different techniques, but I do the easiest one called Mindfulness.

I close my eyes, focus on my breathing, allow any thoughts to come into my mind (non-resistance), then immediately refocus on my breathing. That one is easy for me.

I would like to try Guided Visualization and Loving Kindness meditations at some point.

Good luck and keep trying!

Take Care
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I find that being outdoors with nature is another spoon replenisher. Listening to the breeze through the trees or water flowing, birds singing and breathing fresh air. It might take a trip to the country or a city park, but well worth the recharge!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Seasha, I love heading to the mountains. The sound of water, listening to the trees rustle, birds singing, watching chipmunks. So very calming and peaceful.

Jer, I never hurry doing anything anymore. When I hurry I get hurt and at this point I can't hurry.

Over the years of progressive loss, my body (maybe yours), without any conscious planning, finds a way to accomplish the task at hand.
                I have issues, unrelated to MS, that have made standing and walking both difficult and painful but I am still getting things accomplished. I don't know how or even why but I am quite amazed, although I might be plain stupid to keep going as I am

I have been a rambler for most of my life, I definitely don't mind when someone else does it
                Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Snoopy,

Yeah... at times I have also thought it may be stupid to keep going as I am. There are alternatives but I am not ready to sit down or stop moving, not yet....

Another quote just came to me. Nietzsche, not really my favorite philosopher once said:

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Great quote but strange coming from a guy who committed suicide by prostitute...

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
                    Yeah... at times I have also thought it may be stupid to keep going as I am. There are alternatives but I am not ready to sit down or stop moving, not yet....
                    Pretty much where I'm at. I truly don't know how to give in.

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
                    So true.

KoKo, visualization is what I have been working on. My first experience with it was in therapy and I really want to keep trying.

I close my eyes, focus on my breathing, allow any thoughts to come into my mind (non-resistance), then immediately refocus on my breathing.
                    I think this would be a good idea for me to avoid frustration while still working on visualization.
                    Diagnosed 1984

Comment

I love these suggestions. I "stole" your link and added it to the sticky about Spoons.

In addition to eating right, my functional medicine doctor recommends the following activities when we talked about "spoons". Some of the suggestions are similar; some give additional ideas.
                      • 10 minutes of sunlight
                      • 10 minutes of meditation
                      • Yoga or Tai Chi
                      • Stretching
                      • Positive Time with Friends ("Right Tribe" friends -- friends who share similar values and interests)
                      • Mandala Coloring
                      • 8 Hours of Sleep
                      • Going for a Walk / Stroll
                      • Nature Watching
                      • Serenity Prayer / Prayer
                      • Being purposeful / Fully Present
                      • Family Time / Date Night / Game Night
                      • Gratitude Journaling
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                        I love these suggestions. I "stole" your link and added it to the sticky about Spoons.
                        That's a good idea Faith, it's a nice addition to compliment the original Spoon Therory.
                        Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Yes, I realized that I needed to collect my spoons and throw them in the dishwasher!

I took a mental note of where I had left my spoons in the past few weeks, who I had promised to give spoons to and who really deserved to be using my spoons!

This weekend I let people use plastic spoons instead of mine (declined several invitations for activities/events that were still up in the air). I spent the weekend resting and deciding on what the best use of my spoons would be for ME and how I could re-energize myself for the rest of the month (strangely enough, this included cleaning out the basement--physically it was a little draining, but emotionally, I feel SO much better!)

When I start feeling overwhelmed and stressed, I find it's helpful to take a step back and look at things as objectively as possible (will the world end if I don't attend/do this task).

Comment

Always a good reminder. I have been in a phase pushing past my limits for a few weeks and am paying the price. All good things, but have been struggling with paroxysmal symptoms that come with fatigue. So time to find more spoons:
                            • Taking time to drink my tea in the am outside in nature. Hopefully will see the sun again soon, such a cloudy, rainy spell.
                            • Get back to writing 3 gratitudes every am.
                            • Catching up with an old friend by phone
                            • Go sit by some water. Nothing relaxes me more.
                            Kathy
                            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by hsmaldo View Post
                              Yes, I realized that I needed to collect my spoons and throw them in the dishwasher!

I took a mental note of where I had left my spoons in the past few weeks, who I had promised to give spoons to and who really deserved to be using my spoons!

When I start feeling overwhelmed and stressed, I find it's helpful to take a step back and look at things as objectively as possible (will the world end if I don't attend/do this task).
                              I loved this! Thanks for sharing hsmaldo!

pennstater:
                              Go sit by some water. Nothing relaxes me more.
                              Yes Water is so calming and peaceful. I have a water fountain (small) in my home that has a waterwheel. I love to watch and listen --- peaceful. It's not always practical or possible to sit by water in Colorado winters
                              Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X