Riddle me this, Batman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riddle me this, Batman...

Why does MS keep us from getting affordable life insurance if we are only shaving 6 years off a typical life span? Plus these newer MS therapies are changing our outcomes for the better like I have been hearing, what gives with the insurance companies? The premiums for persons w/MS are off the charts. Why??
    Tawanda

"Patients with MS also had a mortality rate almost 3 times higher than the general population, according to the study, though survival rates appeared to increase over the course of the 6-decade research period."

https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/l...ncy-by-7-years

If as the studies have shown the average person with MS is only losing 7 +/- years there are some who die sooner and some who last longer. Bottom line is insurance companies want you paying and living longer not shorter so when they know you have something that will shorten it they aren't interested. Unfortunately it makes sense.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
      "Patients with MS also had a mortality rate almost 3 times higher than the general population, according to the study, though survival rates appeared to increase over the course of the 6-decade research period."

https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/l...ncy-by-7-years

If as the studies have shown the average person with MS is only losing 7 +/- years there are some who die sooner and some who last longer. Bottom line is insurance companies want you paying and living longer not shorter so when they know you have something that will shorten it they aren't interested. Unfortunately it makes sense.
      Thanks once again, Jules. I did not know this. I was just thinking one of two things 1) no matter what ache, pain, misc. weirdnesses, etc. I just blame it on M.S., so I could miss investigating other diseases that might be going on (although one catastrophic illness per customer is enough, really). 2) Getting MS was also a wake-up call for me. My diagnosis led to me ditching a lot of unhealthy old habits and start practicing some healthy new healthy habits...I may inadvertently extended my life!
      Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
        Thanks once again, Jules. I did not know this. I was just thinking one of two things 1) no matter what ache, pain, misc. weirdnesses, etc. I just blame it on M.S., so I could miss investigating other diseases that might be going on (although one catastrophic illness per customer is enough, really). 2) Getting MS was also a wake-up call for me. My diagnosis led to me ditching a lot of unhealthy old habits and start practicing some healthy new healthy habits...I may inadvertently extended my life!
        Tawanda! This made me smile because 1) yeah I'm probably going to have a significant issue at some point and ignore it thinking it is just MS and 2) yeah again I also took a second look at my unhealthy, seemingly invincible young person lifestyle and made major adjustments.

I'm hoping 2) staves off 1) and so by that point I'll be thankful for something serious that has the potential to take me quickly? Iron clad advanced directive with nothing but pain meds. Thats my plan and hopefully I'm sticking to it.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
        X