Relapses identified...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapses identified...

Strange question after all these years. Do you have to see your doctor to diagnose a relapse? I've had many episodes that I was sure were relapses, but never went to the doctor or called to report them. I just "knew" that I was going through something new and different. So, as far as I was concerned, I was probably having a relapse. Either a relapse or it was progression.

I guess I didn't feel the need to run to the doctor every time something new came up because I felt there was little anyone could do about it. I just waited it out.

This is not an important question, just something I've wondered about and finally decided to ask the question. I'm pretty sure I've floated into secondary now. Does it really matter??
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Originally posted by marti View Post
    Strange question after all these years. Do you have to see your doctor to diagnose a relapse? I've had many episodes that I was sure were relapses, but never went to the doctor or called to report them. I just "knew" that I was going through something new and different. So, as far as I was concerned, I was probably having a relapse. Either a relapse or it was progression.

I guess I didn't feel the need to run to the doctor every time something new came up because I felt there was little anyone could do about it. I just waited it out.

This is not an important question, just something I've wondered about and finally decided to ask the question. I'm pretty sure I've floated into secondary now. Does it really matter??
    I am interested in the replies from more tenured MSers.

In 5 years since diagnosis, I've been treated (IVSM) for 3 relapses,all within the first 2.5 years. One was with the initial diagnosis and if I had those symptoms now, knowing what this is, I would not seek steroids. The second time it was impacting my walking, and I had PT as well. The third time I felt like I had been hit by a bus, had some active lesions and really wanted to speed recovery. I also started Provigil & Lyrica.

But since then, I have concluded, if I want steroids, I go to the doctor. If I can live with it, I just note it down so I can mention it at the next visit.

I am pretty sure I went through what was technically a relapse in June & July. L'Hermitte's (with nausea, weird), more foot drop, fatigue, cog fog, sensory symptoms. But those are all classic MS, so I wasn't concerned, and they were tolerable.

I don't see the point of going to the doctor so he can say, "yep, that's MS for ya," if I don't plan to treat it.

I suppose if I had really odd symptoms, I might go in just to ensure it wasn't sonething else.

But like you, if I can live with it, I don't bother the doc.

Comment

Hi marti,
      No i only went to doc with symptoms for the first bit many moons ago tried steroids once and they made me very unwell so i decided not to do that again. So whats the point of paying for doc visit? They can't do anything.
      Only time i see doc is if i think they can do something about whats bothering me.
      Caroline.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
        Hi marti,
        No i only went to doc with symptoms for the first bit many moons ago tried steroids once and they made me very unwell so i decided not to do that again. So whats the point of paying for doc visit? They can't do anything.
        Only time i see doc is if i think they can do something about whats bothering me.
        Caroline.
        Ditto, Caroline
        Tawanda

Comment

Working...
        X