Fight or Flight? I quickly chose fight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight or Flight? I quickly chose fight!

I am proud that I still can mow the lawn even though I am belted in the seat to keep from falling off.

I was mowing our backyard when a big black bear decided to pay visit. He was trying to climb into the window of our chicken coop. I starting to drive towards him while yelling at him. At about 20 yards away from him, I knew he wasn't afraid by the noise to run away, so I turned towards the back deck, disengaged the blades, and yelled to my husband as loud as I could " BEAR". My husband came out with his "garden rifle" and yelled louder than me at the bear to leave. The bear stood up and gave him two high fives. (Sounds funny now but it was truly scary). My husband shot high and above the bear. That was enough to get the bear to leave the yard and head back to the woods.

I feel pretty good that I was able to handle a stressful situation and get help.

Originally posted by DorOMA View Post
    I am proud that I still can mow the lawn even though I am belted in the seat to keep from falling off.

I was mowing our backyard when a big black bear decided to pay visit. He was trying to climb into the window of our chicken coop. I starting to drive towards him while yelling at him. At about 20 yards away from him, I knew he wasn't afraid by the noise to run away, so I turned towards the back deck, disengaged the blades, and yelled to my husband as loud as I could " BEAR". My husband came out with his "garden rifle" and yelled louder than me at the bear to leave. The bear stood up and gave him two high fives. (Sounds funny now but it was truly scary). My husband shot high and above the bear. That was enough to get the bear to leave the yard and head back to the woods.

I feel pretty good that I was able to handle a stressful situation and get help.
    Wow DorOMA, you did amazing with that stressful situation! (I freak-out over bees)

Glad everything turned out well.

Thanks for sharing!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi DorOMA,

Right thing to do! Crazy amount of black bear in PA this year. Seen more bear this spring by far than ever before.

All in my back woods, all with 3 or 4 cubs each (different age cubs), and at any time... sunrise to twilight.

I keep my distance and so do they... thank goodness!

Jer

Comment

Oh my! Eeek! I'm glad everything turned out OK.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I’ll bet your chickens were even happier with the outcome LOL
          It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Very impressive. I am sure the chickens are grateful!
            Kathy
            DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

We have bears (with cubs) come into our property every year from the woods when the apples are ripe. And yes, it can be scary! You did the right thing by hightailing it. So glad you and the chickens are safe!

I now have an all-terrain scooter so I can scurry off when I see them, but before with my walker and slow walk, I was praying like crazy going back into the house.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sasha, good for you that have an outside scooter to get you outside. I honor your determination to enjoy the outdoors.

Someone from Game Commission will come and assess all the damage and talk about where to trap and then move it to the Big Woods.

I don't know what good it will do, but we put a baby monitor inside the coop! All is quiet now.

I feel bad for the bear because they only become aggressive as a result of human interference. Our neighbor down the road puts food scraps out on her garden. We are at the end of the road and we have always kept our garbage cans in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                X