When did you know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did you know?

For those who are on disability, how did you know it was time to apply? I'm afraid if I change jobs, I won't be able to retain the new info. I feel like my next move will have to be disability, but I don't know when I should apply.

I have RRMS. Diagnosed in 2008. I have had ON 4 times which has left my right eye quite blurry. The blurriness increases throughout the day, making it difficult to see the computer as I work my way through a 12 hr shift. I have spacticity in my left leg, so I can't walk or stand for a long time. I have bladder spasms and pelvic floor spacticity. I also have memory problems.

I have been at my job for 13 years. It is an extremely high pressure environment. It's gettting harder and harder to keep up. My shifts are long, but only 3 days a week, giving me more time to rest. I'm not ready to give up.

Not sure where to go from here.

Have you asked for reasonable accommodations yet from your manager? ADA requires it. https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html
    I would start from there and see how the work load adds up for you.

That's what I did when I was having problems keeping up. After the accommodations were met and exhausted according to my work place and after two years into that, I simply could not go on, so I applied for SSDI. I was 50 years old. Was awarded within 3 months.

It is a hard decision to make. I'm not sure what line of work you are involved with, but if you are thinking of changing jobs, make sure you understand your limitations and are capable of performing the new job descriptions.

I wish you lots of luck going forward!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm 64 and just went on long term disability. I had a major exacerbation in November 2017 and have just not recovered. I pushed on with work far longer than I should have. I cried every morning as I got ready for work. I came home and watched my husband prepare dinner and went to bed every night by 7pm, just so I could do it all over again the next day. My concerned boss and HR Director finally staged an intervention to encourage me to see my neurologist and ask if PT or OT could help me, and also suggested I go on short term disability to give me a better chance to recover.

I would have kept pushing myself to work had it not been for the concern others had for me. It was hurtful to my pride to admit I could no longer do my job in a satisfactory manner, but after 3 months of short term disability...…..I can see that leaving work was definitely the right choice for me.

Does your current position offer FMLA or short term disability, to let you try-out stepping away from work before you make a life changing decision?

Comment

Like Seasha, I exhausted my accomodations. When I knew, I was working full time from home, with longer lunch break to nap. Even with no commute, my husband had to cook. I was so weak at the end of the day, I couldn't hold utensils to eat. I was in bed at 7. Even with the accommodations, I couldn't keep up and by Thursdays, couldn't do much computer work. My boss told me that things that were easy for me before and always quickly answered became a struggle for me. He had to do some of my job functions. So between my husband, boss, and colleagues, I knew it was over

While 12 hour shifts give you a chance for a shorter work week, I would think it would be both physically and cognitively exhausting. Can you experiment with 4 10 hours and/or 5 8 hours shifts to see if it helps you recover?

As for changing jobs, if you have an employer sponsered plan LTD, many have a waiting period for eligibility and may have a look back period, often of two years that exclude eligibility if you try to go out on disability for a condition you were treated for in prior two years. Once e rolled in the plan two years, then look back is not relevant.

Likewise, STD benefits may be prorated based on length of employment. The % paid varied based on number of years employed.

If you think disability is most likely coming, then I would stay put.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Already done.

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Have you asked for reasonable accommodations yet from your manager? ADA requires it. https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html
          I would start from there and see how the work load adds up for you.

That's what I did when I was having problems keeping up. After the accommodations were met and exhausted according to my work place and after two years into that, I simply could not go on, so I applied for SSDI. I was 50 years old. Was awarded within 3 months.

It is a hard decision to make. I'm not sure what line of work you are involved with, but if you are thinking of changing jobs, make sure you understand your limitations and are capable of performing the new job descriptions.

I wish you lots of luck going forward!
          Thanks for your response. I have reasonable accomodations in place. I work in a very busy hospital. I have senority here. I don't want to move. My hours work best for my family. I am not sure I could keep up in another department. I'm proud of my job. I know I'm good at it. I have to work very hard to keep up, but I am managing for now.

If I must go the disability route, I was just wondering when.

Comment

Originally posted by Canary54 View Post
            I'm 64 and just went on long term disability. I had a major exacerbation in November 2017 and have just not recovered. I pushed on with work far longer than I should have. I cried every morning as I got ready for work. I came home and watched my husband prepare dinner and went to bed every night by 7pm, just so I could do it all over again the next day. My concerned boss and HR Director finally staged an intervention to encourage me to see my neurologist and ask if PT or OT could help me, and also suggested I go on short term disability to give me a better chance to recover.

I would have kept pushing myself to work had it not been for the concern others had for me. It was hurtful to my pride to admit I could no longer do my job in a satisfactory manner, but after 3 months of short term disability...…..I can see that leaving work was definitely the right choice for me.

Does your current position offer FMLA or short term disability, to let you try-out stepping away from work before you make a life changing decision?

Thanks for your response. I have FMLA, but these are ongoing issues. Taking FMLA time off won't help with my eyesight or spasticity.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
              Like Seasha, I exhausted my accomodations. When I knew, I was working full time from home, with longer lunch break to nap. Even with no commute, my husband had to cook. I was so weak at the end of the day, I couldn't hold utensils to eat. I was in bed at 7. Even with the accommodations, I couldn't keep up and by Thursdays, couldn't do much computer work. My boss told me that things that were easy for me before and always quickly answered became a struggle for me. He had to do some of my job functions. So between my husband, boss, and colleagues, I knew it was over

While 12 hour shifts give you a chance for a shorter work week, I would think it would be both physically and cognitively exhausting. Can you experiment with 4 10 hours and/or 5 8 hours shifts to see if it helps you recover?

As for changing jobs, if you have an employer sponsered plan LTD, many have a waiting period for eligibility and may have a look back period, often of two years that exclude eligibility if you try to go out on disability for a condition you were treated for in prior two years. Once e rolled in the plan two years, then look back is not relevant.

Likewise, STD benefits may be prorated based on length of employment. The % paid varied based on number of years employed.

If you think disability is most likely coming, then I would stay put.
              I am planning on staying here. Just checking my prospects so I am prepared. My eyesight is just getting worse. They have changed my prescription for my glasses, but it doesn't help an eye that's already dammaged. I don't know when to say when. Lol. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
                If I must go the disability route, I was just wondering when.
                I knew it was time when I spent most of my free time sleeping to catch up on my exhaustion!
                I think you will know when it's time.
                1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Reason -- I lost 3 jobs in 6 years, due to my MS

Originally posted by kittysmith View Post
                  For those who are on disability, how did you know it was time to apply? I'm afraid if I change jobs, I won't be able to retain the new info. I feel like my next move will have to be disability, but I don't know when I should apply.
                  I got RRMS in 2002. It started with a bang -- stroke like symptoms, ER visit, hospital admission, PT and OT and 2 months off work. It was followed by a gradual beginning of reduced hours at work, and then another big flare and major time off work. I ran out of FMLA time and lost my job.

Job 2 -- I became self-employed; opened a licensed day care home, which had been a dream of mine anyways. It went along fairly well for 12-18 months, was followed by another major flare and lots of time off work. I had to close it.

Job 3 -- I applied at the school district for a job as a para-professional. I worked there for 4 years, but, each year, I had 1 or 2 flares that required more time off than I had sick days, so I applied for FMLA each time that I needed to. During my fourth year, when I applied for FMLA, the HR Director declined to renew my position for the following year, citing it was "in the best interests of the children".

After losing 3 jobs in 6 years, I decided that I wasn't very employable. That's when I decided to apply for SSDI. My application was approved in three months, with no attorney, no denials, no appeals. For me, it was the right time and the right thing to do. Although I was pleased with the speed of a successful application, it also told me that, maybe I was more disabled than I had realized.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

It was time to retire (not disability) when my forgetfulness was annoying other people.

Comment

Kitty -- becoming disabled is not what any of us wish for. But, along with my disability income and giving up a career came unexpected blessings.

Although I still acknowledged and grieved my losses, I also had a newfound freedom. For me, a former social worker who worked with early childhood issues, I was able to explore many volunteer opportunities in those fields and other interests.

Some people take up a craft or other hobby. Some have more time for grandchildren. The possibilities are endless.

I have come to view my post-career years as an unplanned new beginning.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                      X