Vitamin D and neuroprotection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vitamin D and neuroprotection

So not surprising Vitamin D supplementation isn't shaping up to be the golden bullet. I have no faith that someone so ordinary would actually be the key to helping us. The benefit or lack thereof isn't established and it seems to be a fairly benign supplement which I plan to keep taking however as with so many MS related theories no home runs yet.

Interesting they found actual sun exposure may be protective of MS. That clearly didn't help me despite being someone who grew up in the 70-80s when we slathered baby oil on and fried like chickens in our back yards from the first 70 degree day through September.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...X.2018.1493807
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

I spent my teenage years slathering on baby oil and iodine! I continued outdoor activities, gardening, going to the beach, and playing golf. I got an above average amount of sun.

My MS reared it’s ugly head when I was about 50. I have wondered if the late onset coincided with cutting back on my sun exposure trying to minimize skin aging and wrinkles.

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
      I spent my teenage years slathering on baby oil and iodine! I continued outdoor activities, gardening, going to the beach, and playing golf. I got an above average amount of sun.

My MS reared it’s ugly head when I was about 50. I have wondered if the late onset coincided with cutting back on my sun exposure trying to minimize skin aging and wrinkles.
      Very interesting although not clinically significant n=2 I actually got MS at 40yo after two decades of laying off the sun worshiping also. Hmmmmm
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Yup; me too. Slathered baby oil and no SPF on my skin and layed out in the sun daily in the summer as a teenager. I was also a huge milk drinker. Although I read enough concerns about milk, now, that, who knows -- maybe dairy contributed to the problem, rather than helping it.

However, I take 10,000 mg of Vitamin D3 daily now. Maybe it helps? Maybe it doesn't.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Well, I used baby oil but preferred olive oil I grew up in California, went to outdoor all day concerts and had more sunburns than I can count. By the time I was 16/17 years old I was heat intolerant and laying out in the sun was 5 minutes then a nap Many years later I had skin cancer.

I have never bought into the vitamin D theory. However, I do feel better when my D level is in the mid to higher range vs. deficient. This could be said for any of the vitamins/supplements I take.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks for sharing the study link, I just read their summary. Their study involved reviewing ~80 other studies and other trend data to determine overall what the various results indicate.

Seems like they found that there’s no clear evidence yet one way or the other and that more studies are needed.

Nevertheless, vitamin D supplements are relatively low cost and if your levels are low it would make sense to continue taking them. I take 4000 IBU daily and my levels are now at or just above the upper limit (they had been below the lower limit when I first tested)

I too attempted to sun in my youth...my sister who is 4 years my senior could tan easily and would slather the baby oil, olive oil, Hawaiian tropic etc and get a golden color from it. I tried to keep up with her though apparently she took all the tanning genes from our parents as despite my efforts my fair skin could only burn.

Finally figured out in my mid teens that it wasn’t for me and stuck to surfing with wetsuits or T-shirt’s with SPF 30on exposed areas. Alas I have resigned myself to life as an indoor kid unless I am well covered. Still keeping a close eye out for skin cancer signs given the # of times I fried from the sun, and the fact that my maternal grandfather routinely dealt with skin cancer bouts

Take care everyone

Comment

Lol, I'm wondering if we all are around the same age? Hawaiian Tropic, now that is a blast from the past.
              Anonymous

Comment

Vitamin D tolerance

My vit D level is very low - 9, I think. But taking the pils causes acid reflux. Do any of you have that problem? Is there any other way to get it?

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                  My vit D level is very low - 9, I think. But taking the pils causes acid reflux. Do any of you have that problem? Is there any other way to get it?
                  Hi MMMMS

I use the liquid Vitamin D, which comes with a small dropper.

I use the 5000 IU, and the amount is so small that you could put in liquid or food and not even notice.

Take Care
                  PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                  ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I tried that, too. Apparently I need to bypass the stomach. 🙁

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                    Hi MMMMS

I use the liquid Vitamin D, which comes with a small dropper.

I use the 5000 IU, and the amount is so small that you could put in liquid or food and not even notice.

Take Care

Comment

Originally posted by MMMMS View Post
                      I tried that, too. Apparently I need to bypass the stomach. 🙁
                      Can't say if this would be appropriate for you but there is an intramuscular formulation if you are looking to avoid the gut.
                      Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                      X