Down the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down the road

I'm newly dx, since sept of last year, since my last initial flare I'm in remission since last November. I'm feeling great, my walking and mobility has nearly fully recovered, fatigue is no longer an issue and very few sx still remain.

im doing most things that I did pre-dx and living well. My question is that is it too naive to think that this remains this way for a long time? The anxiety of the first dx episode creeps in but I'm relapse free for about 7 months and on tecfidera for 5 months. I feel pretty good right now and seen/feel what MS can do to me and never want a flare again like my dx flare.

hope this remission is a lengthy one

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
    I'm newly dx, since sept of last year, since my last initial flare I'm in remission since last November. I'm feeling great, my walking and mobility has nearly fully recovered, fatigue is no longer an issue and very few sx still remain.

im doing most things that I did pre-dx and living well. My question is that is it too naive to think that this remains this way for a long time? The anxiety of the first dx episode creeps in but I'm relapse free for about 7 months and on tecfidera for 5 months. I feel pretty good right now and seen/feel what MS can do to me and never want a flare again like my dx flare.

hope this remission is a lengthy one
    Good for you!

Appreciate and enjoy your good health in the present, one day at a time.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Ant.

I am glad to hear you are doing so well, just awesome!

It's impossible to say when or IF you will have another exacerbation. Is it possible to go a long period of time without an exacerbation? Yes. As an example I will post my exacerbation "history."

One exacerbation for each year:
      - 1985 (received MS diagnosis)
      As you can see I have had some exacerbations that were spaced by many years. Although I know it can be difficult try not to let anxiety take hold and just enjoy your life in this moment of time.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Glad to see read you are doing better, I know you were pretty bummed out initially.

I have had a relatively easy MS journey since diagnosis with things popping up only every now and then.

I'm not overly concerned with how it will all come out. I take advantage of every day and strive to make myself and my tribe better. I make strategic (long term) decisions concerning sustainability and comfortability knowing that I may be limited in my ability to provide in the future. I keep my self debt free and have enough assets that I can liquefy in order to keep the family going. I have decided that I will let my limitations in the future guide my growth. Legs not working anymore....time to learn how to play the guitar.

YMMV
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

The hardest thing to learn is to let go of fears of things not in our control. Whether health, mother nature, how other people act, etc...

Given where you are in time from diagnosis, it us not unusual to worry about prognosis. And when we do progress, the same fears return.

I don't think it is naive to think things can stay the way they are for a long time. I went 13 years between what is now thought to be first flare and the flare that led to diagnosis.

You have alot going in your favor: on a DMT soon after initial flare, a good recovery from your flare, back at work, and taking good care of your physical and emotional health.

Also, if you do flare down the road, you don't know what possible treatments might then be available to help with recovery and/or prevent further progression. Given the amount of options introduced in the past 10 years, it will only continue to get better.

That being said, I still believe in prepare for the worst, but expect the best. Not to the point of obsession in prepare for the worst, but things like increasing savings, is my house accessible or easily modified to be accessible, does my job offer disability insurance, etc..

Hope you continue to do well! Glad to see the uodate.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Getting better and better

I'm in a position where I'm almost back to my original active life... well I'm even more active now than ever before, running nonstop on a treadmill for 45 min. And weightlifting 5 days a week... which completely eliminated all traces of fatigue. Hoping to get into the best shape of my life. A huge accomplishment considering I was in a wheelchair for a couple days 6 months ago. enrolling in school, now with spring finally arriving I will be biking and participating in a MS Johnson 180km bike event with a non MS friend supporter. It feels good to get back to my life and go hiking and enjoy life. When I was in my darkest times you guys helped me through it, and for that I am grateful for your support.

I was a mess 7 months ago but everything from nasty fatigue to immense anxiety but things are definitely loooking up, but hopefully I can ride these positive feelings and continue to recover.

Comment

Good for you, Ant You are definitely the poster child on our message boards, given what you went through. I'm sure you're going to help many many new and scared people here. Your message is so encouraging.

Good luck on the MS Johnson bike ride!
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

MS is just so unpredictable.

My hx included frequent and severe flares for the first 7 years. Two of those years, I was undiagnosed and not on a med. Five of those years, I was on a med not effective for me.

For quite a few years, after switching to Copaxone, my flares were much less frequent and severe.
                Between 2010 and 2018:
                Only two minor flares in 2011 and two minor flares in 2014.

Unfortunately, time has caught up with me and my mobility is declining quite a bit now. If I'd been dx more quickly and been put on an effective med earlier, those first seven years would not have given my MS the opportunity to develop so many lesions. My understanding is that, now, those old and existing lesions is where the SPMS damage is occurring.

It's too late for me to change the past, but you have the opportunity, being on a DMT early, to have a different course than I did.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                X