I know your face but can't think of your name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know your face but can't think of your name

I hate to give in to this problem. I realize I am 67 years old and it's probably "natural" to forget names but it makes me so crazy when EVERYONE seems to know me by name, even after several years have passed since we saw each other.

We moved to the next town in 2014 and I constantly run into people I knew very well after working in the bank for 28 years. Small town, you eventually know everyone. I can't count the times I have heard someone call my name across a parking lot or in a store and I have this shadow of recognition but just can't think of their names. So I just act like I know them and avoid any sentences that require a name. Some of these folks are older than me! And so many people look alike to me which really confuses the issue.

Happened again today. And this was a woman who also has MS. When she asked me how my MS was I kind of sparked a little, but then I couldn't put my MS feelings into words. Sometimes people will ask about my symptoms, and I can't remember what they are. I have to have a written list for the doctors.

Anyway, just a little vent. Feeling a little lost and ashamed.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Hi Marti,

I have the same problem but cannot blame MS... I've have always forgot names and the same for faces although maybe not as bad.

So now I'm 68, I have an excuse that I actually use!

So vent a bit, you were very sharp with the faces / names for many decades right?

Guess the question is, at some point, later on, does the name comes to you? I do the alphabet trick which helps sometimes.

Jer

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
      Hi Marti,

I have the same problem but cannot blame MS... I've have always forgot names and the same for faces although maybe not as bad.

So now I'm 68, I have an excuse that I actually use!

So vent a bit, you were very sharp with the faces / names for many decades right?

Guess the question is, at some point, later on, does the name comes to you? I do the alphabet trick which helps sometimes.

Jer

Yes I do the alphabet thing too. This time I thought of her name before I got all the way home. But I still can't remember her last name. I just hate getting surprised by someone and struggling to remember who in the heck they are! I feel so disconnected. But I also have trouble with word finding. Thanks.
      Marti

Comment

Hi Marti,

Think of it as a compliment. You were more memorable (thus their ability to remember
        your name) than they were to you (thus your inability to remember their name.)

I'm around your age and I don't know whether to blame MS or just getting old, but
        I lose words, names, etc. I usually end up describing the object I can't find the word for
        or the action I can't recall the word for, and my family are pretty good at guessing, or
        when talking to others, they'll fill in my words for me.

Who knows, we may have to resort to charades in order to have a conversation with my husband and kiddos.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
          Hi Marti,

Think of it as a compliment. You were more memorable (thus their ability to remember
          your name) than they were to you (thus your inability to remember their name.)

I'm around your age and I don't know whether to blame MS or just getting old, but
          I lose words, names, etc. I usually end up describing the object I can't find the word for
          or the action I can't recall the word for, and my family are pretty good at guessing, or
          when talking to others, they'll fill in my words for me.

Who knows, we may have to resort to charades in order to have a conversation with my husband and kiddos.

Yes, when I was still working my co workers learned to "read" me pretty well.
          Marti

Comment

I'm in my late 60's as well and think it's a combo of MS and age. My husband has the same problem. I hear what you're talking about though- I even get my kids and grandkids names mixed up! Once I go through most of their names, I'm likely to say the right one! They just laugh.

One day I ran into an ex-coworker who came up to me and said "I can't remember your name" I said "good! I can't remember yours as well." She doesn't have MS and is younger.

My real problem now is recalling names of things I tell my husband that I'm losing nouns.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I used to have a phenomenal memory. Co-workers would ask me names or locations of programs we wrote instead of looking them up. I could remember strings of numbers, people’s names, and what you call that thing you write with.

I retired in 2008, and my word and name recall have declined. My neuro says it’s an age thing instead of MS. I think it has a lot to do with not being mentally active. My job was analyzing business problems and designing software solutions. I don’t think binge watching Fixer Upper is particularly mentally stimulating, lol.

Comment

Marti, I am 66 and I am rt there with you. I have an awful time with names and a lot of times with faces also.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
                  I used to have a phenomenal memory. Co-workers would ask me names or locations of programs we wrote instead of looking them up. I could remember strings of numbers, people’s names, and what you call that thing you write with.

I retired in 2008, and my word and name recall have declined. My neuro says it’s an age thing instead of MS. I think it has a lot to do with not being mentally active. My job was analyzing business problems and designing software solutions. I don’t think binge watching Fixer Upper is particularly mentally stimulating, lol.
                  We held similar jobs! I swung between business systems analyst and project manager roles. I miss the creative and challenge terribly.

I was the same, until the last few years I worked. I had to take phenomenal notes just to tread water, thanks to MS. My logic skills still with me, but I couldn't remember details.

As for the face/name, I have always had this problem. My best friend used to joke she was my memory! If it is more than a quick hello, and in their conversation they don't give any clues, I am to the point where I aplologize, let them know I have terrible memory issues due to MS, and ask for a little help. Otherwise, it will drive me crazy, plus they will walk away feeling like I had no idea who they were anyway.
                  Kathy
                  DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X