Trying to obtain life insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to obtain life insurance

Anyone aware of any insurance companies that are willing to underwrite policies for us folks with MS?

Originally posted by OhioKris View Post
    Anyone aware of any insurance companies that are willing to underwrite policies for us folks with MS?
    Farm Bureau of Mississippi wrote me a policy. It's outrageous but it's there.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

There aren’t many insurance companies that are willing to sell any kind of insurance to us.

Comment

Good luck. It really infuriates me, as study show that MS life span is only a little shorter than normal.

I was only able to get one thru work that had no medical requirement if bought upon initial hire. As my life situation changed, I wanted to purchase more. I couldn't do that on this policy unless medically reviews. MS, sorry out of luck unless huge premium. Wasn't worth it. After looking elsewhere, decided to save the money instead.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I have always thought there has got to be an alternative to the insurance system. It’s like gambling when the House always wins.

Maybe there should be an all purpose insurance that you start paying into as soon as your baby is born. And, of course, no discrimination of any kind. An all purpose FEMA.

Don’t mind me. I don’t know what I’m talking about.after just turning 65, I was so excited to be able to purchase a Medicare supplement no questions asked. I told it pays the co payment for everything Medicare covers. Sounds good.

But noooooo....I just got my first prior authorization demand. Grrrr. Oooo that makes me mad!

Comment

Palmtree

I don’t understand. Are you on straight Medicare? Are you now trying to purchase a supplemental policy within three months of being on straight Medicare?

Comment

I have been on SSDI since 1988. Which has also given me straight Medicare. But it is impossible to purchase a supplement with MS.

But when you turn 65 there is a 6 month enrollment period where you can get a supplement no questions asked. I purchased one and it’s helping. I would never go on Medicare “Advantage”. No advantage whatsoever!

Comment

Palmtree

I couldn’t agree more about so called advantage plans. Just the yearly out of pocket max is enough to not get them. If your major expenses begin in November of one year and extend to February or March of the next you could have a hefty payment.

I misunderstood your post. I thought you were having a problem getting a supplement after turning 65 and knew that shouldn’t be. Glad you are all set now with what you want.

Bob

Comment

6 years?

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
                  It really infuriates me, as study show that MS life span is only a little shorter than normal.
                  I know,right? Can anyone who knows anything about the insurance business clue me on the reason behind this one? Do the insurance actuaries know something we don't? With all the "improvements" in treating MS, I wonder why "6 years" hasn't been adjusted to a smaller amount??? Why are we still in the same place on that statistic after all these years?
                  Tawanda

Comment

Words of advice:

*If you haven't gotten a definitive dx of MS yet, now is the time to get life insurance!

*If you already have it, hold onto it! I learned the hard way. Pre dx, I needed $ badly and cashed in my ins. policy. Now it's cost prohibitive and too late.
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

also....

Adding to Seasha's words of advice....

If you have not been Dx'd as of reading this... look into long term care insurance.

Yeah, expensive but if you can swing it, (especially if you are without spouse or children) do it now.

Jer

Comment

Before buying any disability or long term care, read the fine print.

Some may exclude coverage if you even seek treatment for a condition, even if not diagnosed. And some may do this for a look back period only, say if you sought treatment in the 2 years prior to the policy coverage effective date.

The devil is in the details. You don't want to be surprised later.
                        Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                          I know,right? Can anyone who knows anything about the insurance business clue me on the reason behind this one? Do the insurance actuaries know something we don't? With all the "improvements" in treating MS, I wonder why "6 years" hasn't been adjusted to a smaller amount??? Why are we still in the same place on that statistic after all these years?
                          The most recent study I saw cited 6-14 years less so although not statistically kosher considering a mean of 10 years that is a significant chunk of time in the big picture. The average life expectancy in the US of 78.74 years so about 13% less. Bottom line is we are not the horse to bet on.

And YES to those who said get your financial and insurance affairs in order before diagnosis. I wish I had long term care insurance which is even more crucial imo than life insurance.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0132033
                          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                            The most recent study I saw cited 6-14 years less so although not statistically kosher considering a mean of 10 years that is a significant chunk of time in the big picture. The average life expectancy in the US of 78.74 years so about 13% less. Bottom line is we are not the horse to bet on.

And YES to those who said get your financial and insurance affairs in order before diagnosis. I wish I had long term care insurance which is even more crucial imo than life insurance.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0132033
                            Thank you for answering that one for me. All I know is from my personal experience...my Mom with MS died at 44 in 1972 and my sister in law with MS at age 60, passing away about five years ago. 6 years sounded so off! I also thought, 6 years less than normal really sounds ok, but what quality of life are we talking about? Which led to me wondering why would the insurance company care about my quality of life as long as someone is paying my premiums? The answer? "6 years" just doesn't pass the sniff test with me or the insurance carriers of the world.

Not the horse to bet on is right (unless you like long shots-which I will remember for the Triple Crown races coming up)! I KNEW when I was still listed as "possible MS" that it was full blown MS. That was like a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge' get your affairs in order" window. Sadly, I totally got the hint but the funds just weren't there. I had just been laid off by the State and my daughter was still a toddler. Otherwise, I would have used that as a window of opportunity to get it together, although at this point even a small premium would be hard to scrape up! And so it goes...
                            Tawanda

Comment

The last study I saw was 6 years, with the note that the gap between MS and non- MS keeps shrinking. For the majority of folks, it is not the MS, but the diseases that cone with a more sedentary life, like cardiovascular disease, type II diabetes, etc..

They expect that the gap will keep shrinking as more people on DMTs experience less flares and disability progression and are able to stay more active for longer periods. I hope they are right and continue to do more studies!
                              Kathy

Comment

Working...
                              X