X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reactions to Stephen Hawkings death

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...316-story.html

Some thoughts from comments in the article:
    Stephen Hawking had a disability, and Stephen Hawking used a wheelchair. His work was possible because of those things, not in spite of them.
    using a wheelchair gives you a unique perspective on the world, and that it's possible Hawking wouldn't have come up with the theories he did if he hadn't had a disability.
    Last edited by Mamabug; 03-20-2018, 09:18 AM. Reason: I found a better article to link to
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Many people seem to think he had ms...just shows how people generally look at ms even though in most cases ms will not make you that disabled

Comment

I don't understand some of the anger directed at comments. That being said, I am also not in a wheelchair. I liken the depiction of him out of his chair to the images of him when he was able to float in zero gravity, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Stephen Hawking had a brilliant mind, independent of his disease and its progression. I also pay tribute to his mental toughness to never give in, even when his physical body was failing him. He far exceeded doctor's life expectancy projections. He truly was remarkable.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Medina89 View Post
        Many people seem to think he had ms...just shows how people generally look at ms even though in most cases ms will not make you that disabled
        Oh; I hadn't heard that some seemed to think that he had MS. Yes; you're right. In most cases, MS will not make you that disabled.
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
          I don't understand some of the anger directed at comments. That being said, I am also not in a wheelchair. I liken the depiction of him out of his chair to the images of him when he was able to float in zero gravity, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

Stephen Hawking had a brilliant mind, independent of his disease and its progression. I also pay tribute to his mental toughness to never give in, even when his physical body was failing him. He far exceeded doctor's life expectancy projections. He truly was remarkable.
          I'm kind of amazed at his persistence at pursuing excellence. I'm not nearly as disabled, but, I often don't have the energy to be motivated to pursue activities that take a lot of physical, or cognitive, or emotional energy anymore.
          ~ Faith
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
            Oh; I hadn't heard that some seemed to think that he had MS. Yes; you're right. In most cases, MS will not make you that disabled.
            I had to correct a newspaper they wrote ms :/ people have no idea here, i live in sweden (ms is even common here )

Comment

Mamabug, your comments mentioning Mr. Hawking's pursuit of excellence and another's post describing how his ALS was confused by a media outlet as being MS are comforting, to me.
              It is because these kinds of statements (and images) continue to smother the public with misinformation could account for the fact that I was asked, once by a family friend, if I was going to be on the 'telethon with Jerry Lewis'. NO JOKE This kind of misinformation also leads to many people thinking that a 'cure' exists for MS.
              I'm waiting ! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                Mamabug, your comments mentioning Mr. Hawking's pursuit of excellence and another's post describing how his ALS was confused by a media outlet as being MS are comforting, to me.
                It is because these kinds of statements (and images) continue to smother the public with misinformation could account for the fact that I was asked, once by a family friend, if I was going to be on the 'telethon with Jerry Lewis'. NO JOKE This kind of misinformation also leads to many people thinking that a 'cure' exists for MS.
                I'm waiting ! Good luck
                Thanks for your comment, Jerry. And, yes. I have heard others confuse Multiple Sclerosis and Muscular Dystrophy. Maybe because the first word begins with the same letter? Or, because they can both affect mobility? Pretty different though. One is about the brain / neurology issues. The other is about muscles, etc.
                ~ Faith
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
                X