Will i be like before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will i be like before?

It has been a litle over 3 weeks since my relapse,it has got better but i still feel the symptoms,will it get like before ever ? When is it too late to heal,after how many weeks?

Hi Medina,

I wish I had a magic 8 ball to tell you exactly what the future holds, but no one knows for sure. You are young and relatively healthy and now on a med that will help you in the long run. Many people regain most, if not all, functions after their first initial flare.

When is it too late to heal,after how many weeks?
    It's never too late for healing to take place especially in the beginning of our course. And again, no one knows how long a relapse takes. It's so different for everyone. I'm not sure what med you are now on, but the newer meds have proven to be more effective for keeping flares (and progression) at bay.

Please try not to worry and do all you can to keep your general wellbeing healthy. Eat, rest and sleep well and exercise to the best of your ability!

You are going to be more than OK with time!!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Recently dx

I was asking the same question upon my dx flare in sept 2017. It lasted 6 weeks and it hit me hard. I got put in a wheelchair for a day or two then started using a walker cause I will not accept a wheelchair I'll work hard to get walking again, and man extensive rehab went into December after flare quit and I used a van after things got better now I'm walking normal and ran for 60 mins straight the other day (that was too much I think).

nevertheless my sx cleared up one by one and I'm feeling pretty normal again but there are some lingering sx left, like balance and numbness mostly but recovering is an ongoing thing. I eat exceptionally welll and back to construction work again (albeit a little different now) but I'm pleased with my recovery and my neuro said I'll be around %90 recovered and taking tecfidera and still no problems since sept. Everything is improving on its own Time, my MS seems quiet now and life does resume. Don't worry you might get back to %95-100 in a few months but it takes time.

just be patient you'll be ok it's hard to see now but I was in your shoes not long ago. It'll be ok and you will get back life soon

Comment

Correction

Cane, not van srry

but RRMS comes and goes, hope to never see a flare again but I'm taking action going to school to get out of the construction field cause scaffolding is not safe anymore for me cause balance needs more improvements but yoga helps and weightlifting too.

im 37 y/o male BTW DX at 36. Tecfidera gives me 0 side effects but steroids left bad acne is on my back that won't go away.

anyway I'm hope you get back to life again soon.

-regards,

ant

Comment

Hi Medina89,

It is a question asked by all. In earlier relapses, there is usually more recovery. It can take weeks, months, and I have even heard people getting better at the year mark. You can only control what you can: eat healthy, exercise, sleep, and focus on your own mental well being.

If any lingering symptoms can be helped with physical therapy, push your doctor for a prescription. Things like weakness, balance, tightness, dizziness can be helped with PT.

The hardest part of an MS journey for me was coming to terms with the unknown. That's where focusing on the things you can control comes into play.

Good luck with the recovery and keep us updated!

Sidenote to Ant1981 - just wanted to say I am really happy to see where you are at. I remember your posts. You have really worked hard to get where you are both physically and mentally. So glad to see you reaching out and helping someone by sharing your recent experience! That sharing, with the good and the bad, is what makes this board so special.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Support

Honestly the support from the members of this board was invaluable to me.

During dx flare time I was in what is this happening to me phase, am I ruined? Will I ever do the things I used to do again? Will I ever work and make a living? The anxiety was extremely high but leaned on this board and the responses I got were everything to me then and they turned out to be right. I'm piecing back my life stil but medina89 you will find that ppl here know MS and you will be almost fully recovered and on a treatment plan a the lifestyle adjustment will come along with the recovery, you really don't have much to worry about, although it's a nasty disease it's highly treatable and manageable these days. Excersize excersize exercise that keeps my anxiety at bay and functions improving, running/jogging, swimming, yoga, walks, weightlifting, anything reallly, support that with a new clean diet and some meditation (shoulddo that more myself) you will start to feel even better that before dx. Never thought that was possible 6 months ago. Ask questions here it brought me much help from the kind folks here, they all been through the same things before you. I'm just a rookie but understand this disease and how to live with it more and more each day.

sorry I'm rambling but I know how you feeling in dx flair it's real strange place to be.

cant wait to hear about your fantastic recovery... it's gonna happen, you'll see.

Hang tough

Comment

Six months and beyond. Will it get better? Yes. Will it get completely better? No one knows.

Since the 6+ months while you are “waiting” to see if you will get better, are going to go by anyway, why not take up a new hobby, read a good book, get in touch with an old friend...Might as well make the most of the time. One thing for sure, the six months while you are waiting will not come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Medina89 View Post
                It has been a litle over 3 weeks since my relapse,it has got better but i still feel the symptoms,will it get like before ever ? When is it too late to heal,after how many weeks?
                It's difficult to predict. We are all different; and our flares can vary from one time to the next.

For me, what usually happens following a flare is that I go on steroids for about 3 weeks, and the symptoms might not reside at all by the time the 3 weeks are over. The steroids seem to continue to work even after the taper is over. And, symptoms usually mostly resolve over time.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Medina89,

MS teaches patience as it can take time to know what may or may not remain symptom wise. With or without steroids Relapsing/Remitting MS can improve. Remission in MS simply means not doing as bad as you were during the exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up).

Remissions are either complete (no symptoms) or partial (residual symptoms/symptoms come and go), with partial being the most common.
                  Diagnosed 1984
                  “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Remissions

I'd say a remission is drastically better that flare period, I guess some ppl recover better but I got almost back to %90 so far as I can tell. I still avoid scaffold at work from minor balance deficits and can no longer skate (played hockey for 20 years) but the rest like mobility (walking, running) are constantly improving and already are getting back to normal. I'm pleased with my recovery and hope it continues well into the future.

Comment

Symptoms are still here but not like in beggining ,they are different and sometimes i will feel some symptoms for a few sec and then they go away? Now i will be reliefed if its "just" ms and not a brain tumor

Comment

Originally posted by Medina89 View Post
                        i will feel some symptoms for a few sec and then they go away?
                        That's not an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up). An exacerbation is symptoms lasting continuously for at least 48 hours and separated from the last exacerbation by 30 days. These are guidelines.

Symptoms that come and go as you are explaining is simply living with MS.

Now i will be reliefed if its "just" ms and not a brain tumor
                        Well, no one wants a brain tumor . My aunt died from a brain tumor and about a year or two after her death I was going through the diagnostic process and one of the first things suspected was a brain tumor. I was and am very thankful I didn't have a brain tumor.

This disease is very unpredictable and a relapse can happen at anytime. Unfortunately, there is no cure and we have MS (at this time) for the rest of our lives. I have learned to have a healthy respect for this disease as I have seen and experienced what this disease is capable of.

Scaring you is not my intention, but MS is a serious disease. I would use caution when thinking "it's just MS."
                        Diagnosed 1984
                        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                          That's not an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up). An exacerbation is symptoms lasting continuously for at least 48 hours and separated from the last exacerbation by 30 days. These are guidelines.

Symptoms that come and go as you are explaining is simply living with MS.

Well, no one wants a brain tumor . My aunt died from a brain tumor and about a year or two after her death I was going through the diagnostic process and one of the first things suspected was a brain tumor. I was and am very thankful I didn't have a brain tumor.

This disease is very unpredictable and a relapse can happen at anytime. Unfortunately, there is no cure and we have MS (at this time) for the rest of our lives. I have learned to have a healthy respect for this disease as I have seen and experienced what this disease is capable of.

Scaring you is not my intention, but MS is a serious disease. I would use caution when thinking "it's just MS."
                          No i did not mean like that..i already know i have ms and i said i hope its a relapse and not something else

Comment

Working...
                          X