Leaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaning

I wanted to put this out there, just because it's information. I don't mean to cause any alarm
    just awareness.

About 3 years ago I found that I leaned to the right. I chalked it up to a way my body was
    using to keep it's balance. Other people were telling me I was leaning, and several asked
    what was wrong with my shoulder because I would hold one shoulder much lower or higher
    depending on one's perspective.

When I started to have some spasm and mild pain on the left side ribcage (pain was on the left side
    although the lean was to the right) I went to my physiatrist and they ran me through a course of PT
    sessions but nothing helped, so she sent me for scoliosis x-rays.

I did in fact have scoliosis (curvature of the spine) at a 40 degree angle, peaking at L1 and running
    from T10 to the sacrum. My physiatrist told me that at 40 degrees she usually sends a patient to a neurosurgeon,
    but since 40 degrees was the lower end of the number range for surgery, and I knew I had Baclofen catheter and anchoring in
    my back, we'd watch and see (scoliosis usually advances only one to two degrees a year.) What I read confirmed that so
    I was given a brace and continued PT. The brace made me stand up
    straighter and eased some pain.

A few months ago I went to the physiatrist and told her everything seemed to be leaning more
    and the brace no longer kept me upright and there was more pain. So another set of x-rays and the curve had hit 55 degrees.
    That meant an automatic visit to the neurosurgeon who did the pump to see what he recommended.. The x-ray facility had
    previous films of my spine from 2012 and everything had been perfectly in line and in tact. He wondered if I'd had an accident,
    which I hadn't.

Now I've seen my pump neurosurgeon, the Deformity neurosurgeon (who knew I was a "deformity.") I vote for changing the
    name of that specialty to Deformatrist and a Pain Management doctor. The surgery is too involved and too rough a
    recovery for someone of my age. And the inability to move certain parts of my body (due to MS) would make the recovery even more of a challenge. After hearing about the surgery and the recovery and rehabilitation period, I more than agree with the "that's a No" answer for me

Neuromuscular scoliosis is progressive and bracing evidently does no good...however, I still wear the brace
    because I do believe it keeps me more upright than without it. I have about 10 minutes on my feet and then the pain
    kicks in. I can sit or lie down, and the pain is relieved by that, which is a real blessing.

I'm waiting to see what the pain doctor will do, but they're talking about radiofrequency ablation
    of certain nerves. First they'd do a group of facet injections to try to figure out which
    nerves are causing the most problem, then they'd upgrade during the next go to a
    radio frequency ablation, which if it works can get me 6 months of relief. The pain management
    doctor said it's usually successful, but it depends what we think is success. He asked if he
    could get me to 20 minutes standing instead of the 10 I have now, would I consider
    that success. I agreed that any improvement would be welcome as I'm stuck in a chair
    or a bed for relief now.

But what I wanted to pass on, neuromuscular scoliosis is a symptom of the MS. That's why It's called
    Neuromuscular scoliosis. It's a progressive symptom. Your muscles on one side weaken and the stronger side drags the spine out of it's normal alignment.

So don't just assume your lean is a balance issue, have your doctor give your spine a look, or order a scoliosis
    x-ray. I'm not quite sure what can be done if the neuromuscular scoliosis could
    have a different prognosis if it was found earlier...perhaps you'd be at a stage of MS and age
    where the surgery could be done. I had no pain for the first year I noticed the lean. Then it was
    subtle muscular pain which was more than bearable, until it wasn't.

As I said, this isn't meant to alarm anyone, just to make sure that you understand there is another
    reason for a lean, that I assumed was a balance issue. Anyone else have scoliosis start up 15 years
    after diagnosis?

rdmc

Thank you for sharing this information with us.

On a personal note, while standing or walking, I tend to lean towards my better side, when I become physically fatigued.

But while sitting, I tend to lean toward my weaker side, when fatigued.

Haven't figured out the reason for that yet.

In any case, I'm sorry that you have the neuromuscular scoliosis, and the nearly unbearable pain.

Hopefully you will be able to get relief for this pain.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Sorry to hear RDMC. I hope you get pain relief.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for the infor. and I am also sorry you have this and I hope you get some relief.

I lean very bad to my left (which is my weaker side) when I am sitting, it is very noticeable. I wonder if that may be the beginning of neuromuscular scoliosis.

Thanks again rdmc.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
        X