Disclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disclosure

I really struggle with when the right time to disclose my MS will be. I have such fantastic, interesting conversations with friends and colleagues about so many topics where I am longing to talk about things I have learned along the way through my research about MS, osteopathy, Naturopaths, diets including intermittent fasting and gluten free - and the many applications that are not MS related. But I always feel nervous about joining in on conversations because I am hesitant to get too into a topic for fear I might give away how I have all this knowledge.

Also, a parent of a student I teach has recently become a secretary at the clinic and so now she knows about my MS. We chatted about her daughter and school, and I feel like I should have said something like "don't tell anyone about my MS because noone knows" but I didn't want to offend her by saying that because since she is in the healthcare profession, that is just a given that you don't disclose information about patients. But it still makes me really nervous whenever I see her.

The answer for when to disclose is super personal for each person, so I know there isn't a magic answer. It's just something I've been struggling with, and even just being able to express this struggle out loud does help a lot!

You could say, “you are the only person I have told that I have multiple sclerosis because I know you will keep it confidential“ and then say, “thank you so much for being a good listener

Comment

Originally posted by Poolwatcher View Post
      You could say, “you are the only person I have told that I have multiple sclerosis because I know you will keep it confidential“ and then say, “thank you so much for being a good listener
      That might work. Generally, I’d say, as with most “well-kept” secrets, be they romances, crimes or illnesses, if one other person knows, that’s one too many. 🙃
      You’d be surprised how many people probably already know, and just aren’t saying anything.

Comment

In my experience (as with all things MS), most people just forget about your MS if you don't have outwardly visible sx (unless you talk about it a lot, of course ).

You still have to deal with initial reactions, but most people are just curious and one conversation is enough. I found that less stressful (especially at work) than worrying about who knew...
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
        X