Still don't feel right 😕

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still don't feel right 😕

My recovery is moving along but I'm not feeling right. I can walk ok almost normal and if you see me walking you would never know I have MS.

but

my balance is improved but still not feeling 100% steady and my leg muscles are weaker feeling, my fatigue was minimal yesterday but I walked downtown for an unrelated meeting and slowly my legs grew weaker and weaker as I went on. It's been 4 months since my flare but I'm thinking this recovery will get better and better with time, I'm a lot better than I used to be at flare time period but still improving every week I find.

what can I expect in the coming months?

From where you were to where you are now, your recovery seems remarkable. I know it has seemed to be a slow journey for you, but you keep improving, which is what you want to see.

A relapse can take a lot out of our bodies. It seems like your focus now is building back up your endurance and strength. Keep eating healthy and exercising. With more time, it's feasible to still recover more. It sounds promising for you since you can see gains each week.

As you have already experienced, in the coming months, you may have a bad day(s), but usually minor setback. Let yourself get sad, mad, etc...It's all necessary to heal and come to some type of acceptance that you can continue to live a life with MS.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Still hopeful

Thanks 🙏 Kathy, I was terrified in hospital and my flare was nasty 6 weeks I've ever had, my progress is nice but I'm not my old self and probably will never see him again 😕 But I'm still gonna work hard and find excersize routines that work, improve my coordination and fatigue even more I'm very hopeful for a full recovery but there was a lot of damage done, it's gonna take more than 2-3 months of recovery that's for sure, see how far it goes maybe I will get back 95% of myself. I'm running at 80% right now and at least enjoying life again but my lifestyle is going to change now certainly. I do get down from time to time it's my first attack I need to heal mind and body and have patience I'm thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant1981 View Post
        ...it's my first attack I need to heal mind and body and have patience I'm thinking.
        I would agree with you on the patience. Concentrate on your next step not your last one.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Recovery

It's not a couple months and I'm back to usual that's for sure but I'm thinking this recovery will take many, many months to retrain the nerves, that what it feels like it anyway. I'm starting to feel normal again and the more I do (life tasks, driving, going shopping etc..) the better things seem to get.

did you guys recover fairly quickly after a flare up? Or was it more like months/years to get back to near normal again? With lingering symptoms?

Comment

Mine Took Time

I had a terrible flare 5 years ago. Dizziness, double vision, nausea, and unable to walk. It resolved in about 2 weeks but the dizziness never went away. I am dizzy every day. My next flare was a year after the terrible one with increased dizziness and lack of balance.

I started using a cane about 3 years ago, but found my GP had studied acupuncture in China and I had several sessions with him. It didn't get rid of the dizziness but my balance improved so much that I haven't had to use the cane for over 6 months now.

Even after all this time I am finding that I am feeling better and can do things I would not have been able to do a few years ago. Keep a positive attitude and look at the smallest improvements as really good signs that progress is still possible.

Comment

Honestly - you’re never going to “feel 💯 right”, again. You’ll feel better; you’ll feel pretty darn good; but unless there’s a cure + repairs, it’s not going to be done and dusted.
              Enjoy the good times.

Comment

Hi Ant.

I walked downtown for an unrelated meeting and slowly my legs grew weaker and weaker as I went on.
                This can be quite "normal." On any given day you may be able to walk more...or less before feeling weakness creep in. With time you will find your limitations and how far you can push past it, some are unable to push beyond.

I have always pushed my limits with full knowledge I will pay later with a temporary increase in spasticity/pain, fatigue, bilateral leg weakness. I push beyond because I want or need to do things and am prepared to deal with doing so. Not everyone will push limits and some say they are unable to.

Practice patience, unfortunately you have a life time to figure out what works or doesn't work for you.
                Diagnosed 1984
                “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Remissions

I know I likely won't feel just as I did before my dx. and I accept that it I'm operating pretty darn close to it and still feeling better and better every week (tho small improvements mostly now)

even will full remission one cannot go back to their original normal? When you speak of bad days, do you mean day while I'm flare? I wanna stay the way I M for as long as possible cause it's not so bad right now but I hope it's possible I can delay progression with my tecfidera, exercise, diet, meditation, and other strategies. Maybe I'm just too naive but like to remain positive.

Comment

I know I likely won't feel just as I did before my dx. and I accept that it I'm operating pretty darn close to it and still feeling better and better every week (tho small improvements mostly now)

even will full remission one cannot go back to their original normal? When you speak of bad days, do you mean day while I'm flare? I wanna stay the way I M for as long as possible cause it's not so bad right now but I hope it's possible I can delay progression with my tecfidera, exercise, diet, meditation, and other strategies. Maybe I'm just too naive but like to remain positive.
                    Positive thoughts are good. I have accepted a new normal and bad days come and go for me. I might not be able to do today what I did yesterday but then there's tomorrow when I might feel like I did yesterday. Do what you can when you can and don't sweat the days you can't "do" those are rest days for me. You'll be able to push through them at first or at least I could but it eventually caught up to me so I relax and breath instead of stressing about it and letting it bother me. It makes the good days more enjoyably. Your mileage may vary.
                    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

"Remissions"

I was always confused by the term, "remission", as it relates the condition of Multiple Sclerosis. Like many people, I had associated "remissions" with cancer, where the person often returns to a more to what I consider "normal" as opposed to the "NEW Normal" you often hear in the MS Community.

Maybe there are people who do go back to the way they felt prior to getting MS, but I am guessing they would not have the same need for this board! I certainly wish you, and everyone the most benign MS ever, but it is a CHRONIC and PROGRESSIVE condition (and personally, those are two words I do "get" and have tried to make some sort of peace with).

Hang in there, Ant1981!
                      Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                        it is a CHRONIC and PROGRESSIVE condition (and personally, those are two words I do "get" and have tried to make some sort of peace with).
                        True story.
                        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                        Anonymous

Comment

New normal

I feel my recovery is going good, if at this point my new normal is ok for me I accept it, how long can I hang on to this for? I dunno .. but I hope for many years that I won't be getting progressively worse, with the help of medications, exercise, diet and rest. 😊

Its not like I'll be in a wheelchair overnight but it's very difficult to say goodbye to my old self and live without some degree of anxiety.

Comment

I've had MS for 12+ years and to be honest, I was waaaaaaay worse at the beginning.... and I mean waaaaay! I've made many lifestyle changes but still indulge in some not so healthy stuff.... like lots of chocolate. In general, you'll have good, even great periods and some not so good ones. Please try not to compare yourself to your pre-MS days (unless it's really good) and be patient while your body adjusts. I lost the sight in my left eye due to my first exacerbation, the one that led to the dx, and it never returned. I'm so used to it and other symptoms that are almost always present that I don't even notice any more. Hey, I'm 52 after all, not all "symptoms" are MS related!

Take care and keep your positive attitude going, it will go a long way!
                            Jen
                            RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                            "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Dx flare

Waaaay worse eh? My first flare was rough but I came out ok, I could hardly walk, nevermind driving but now I'm back to driving to work and actually working (construction) I'm piecing my life back together now and hope tecfidera works and I can feel this good for a while (years). I'm still scared but have come a long way In accepting my new normal, I'm still healing and feel pretty good now but I hope it all doesn't crash and I'm in misery again anytime soon but your reply is encouraging to me and I truly believe I can live a good life well into old age 😊

Comment

Working...
                              X