Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone see a Holistic doctor for their MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone see a Holistic doctor for their MS?

I am considering natural course for my MS..I am starting to not trust regular doctors anymore with all of their pharmaceuticals... Thanks!

Samantha,

I worked in medicine (NOT a doctor) before MS sidelined me, so I may be biased, but I would be careful about deciding to use a Holistic Healer. Look into the books on MS Diets, as they may certainly help. But to slow MS I know of nothing that has been presented to slow the progression (in the 12 yrs since my diagnosis I have researched hundreds of articles online) .
    Good luck to you.
    Peace to all,
    LM
    RRMS 11/11/2005, SPMS 20011 (guess I 'graduated')

Comment

I would consider holistic for symptom relief, but like fishytrout said, not for slowing progression.

Gut bacteria and MS is big area of research, but still in infancy. Hopefully more answers will be found.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

As others have written I might consider holistic treatments for symptoms or as supplements but despite its flaws I believe in the FDA and want my therapies to have been thoroughly tested and researched.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I do use supplements regularly. But I am also on copaxone 40. The MS meds are designed to reduce the severity and frequency of the disease and slow progression. I don't want to risk more progression than necessary.
          ~ Faith
          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I agree

I agree, now that i'm out of denial that I actually have MS

Comment

I went to see one. He set me up with IV and pumped three bags of vitamins in me. I only went for the sake of an argument. Was the worst migraine for two days after. I’m never going back. Last plug nickel they’ll ever get out of me.
              It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Just my two cents

I agree with everyone above about the symptom management.

I have considered and will still consider a functional medicine doctor. There is not one close to me. But, even saying that, I would not give up my Tecfidera. I have great strides with that med.

I have been doing exceptionally well with just doing the Autoimmune Protocol Diet. A lot like Dr. Whal's Protocol that the NMSS is researching.

And, any functional medicine or holistc medicne most likely will end up with a headache shortly after starting treatment. It is a detoxing time.

I have lost 100 lbs. and first time in over 8 years I have not almost fallen when the neuro has me stand with my feet together and my eyes closed.
                God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

And

I have been able to stay off of my arthritis medicine which I never would have believed.
                  God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Working...
                  X