Bikes feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bikes feedback

Upfront, just want to say thanks to anybody that takes the time to read this.

I was diagnosed in 2004 with relapsing remitting MS. I am in avid cyclist, I have been doing charity rides since I was 10 or 11 years old in the early 80s. I have done numerous MS 100s , 200's, I have biked across Ohio twice, competed in gran fondos and cyclocross.

I am by no means in perfect shape, I just like to get out and ride. In the past few months several things have occurred including a new treatment for me. I've had some vision problems followed by several months long prednisones taper's. I have significant pain in muscles and joints, and I've put on some weight over the past few months.

I start on tysabri two months ago.

I get out today on the bike for the first time in about four months, it was painful. Wondering if there are any avid cyclist out there that have made the transition from road bike to recumbent or Fat bike? Mountain or trike?
    Dx 2004. Copaxone until 2006 became allergic. Avonex until 2010, then rebif until 2013. Then Aubaugio until 2017 now tysabri.

I'm not an avid cyclist but I have a set of wheel stabilizers. I didn't like the recumbent bike. It seems like Bike USA makes the sturdiest adult set available. I went to a local bike shop to try out the other type of bikes. It was too hard to get down into and back up from the recumbent bike and the trike was too hard to get on.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Bike rides

Oh how I miss riding my bike, my balance is so terrible I can't even get on mine right now. Next year I guess.

Comment

Not what you want as your ultimate goal but when balance or vision is poor, hopefully as it improves, maybe consider spin classes to stay conditioned? Its a great workout.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

I've always owned a Mountain Bike as an adult. When MS became fulltime with my MS dx, I also had arm paralysis and nerve pain caused by supporting body weight on the handle bars, I had to give up riding.

I used an indoor stationary bike that was great for purposes of getting some exercise, but definitely no substitute for the thrill of riding out doors.

I eventually found a different style of bike called a Townie, with higher handlebars and I was on the road again! But I also developed a new sx, losing sensation/function in my legs after limited time riding.

I'm now considering a motorized style bike with the motor that somehow automatically turning on? I need to do more research into this option. Another option is a three wheel style (ugh!).

I hope you find a bike that fits your needs and find yourself back out of doors enjoying what is one of my favorite fitness activities.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveinCleveland View Post
            Upfront, just want to say thanks to anybody that takes the time to read this.

I was diagnosed in 2004 with relapsing remitting MS. I am in avid cyclist, I have been doing charity rides since I was 10 or 11 years old in the early 80s. I have done numerous MS 100s , 200's, I have biked across Ohio twice, competed in gran fondos and cyclocross.

I am by no means in perfect shape, I just like to get out and ride. In the past few months several things have occurred including a new treatment for me. I've had some vision problems followed by several months long prednisones taper's. I have significant pain in muscles and joints, and I've put on some weight over the past few months.

I start on tysabri two months ago.

I get out today on the bike for the first time in about four months, it was painful. Wondering if there are any avid cyclist out there that have made the transition from road bike to recumbent or Fat bike? Mountain or trike?
            I am also an avid cyclist with MS for over 20 years. Like you, I have done numerous charity rides and a couple of week long tours. I just completed over 100 miles on the tour de Tucson on my own, although I prefer to ride with a buddy or two so that I have a shoulder to lean on for those times when walking is required.

I used to ride a mountain bike but my reflexes and balance got bad enough that I gave it up. I suspect I will go to a trike when/if I deteriorate to the point that I'm no longer safe on my road bike. There are some very nice trikes out there, nearly as fast as a bike. I live in Colorado, as such I get to do a LOT of hill climbing. I am usually, but not always, the last one to the top but I do get there!

I give the bike riding a lot of the credit for how well I am doing in my battle against the MS. Staying active is one of the best therapies to fight this disease with. As far as muscle and joint pain, yes there is a lot of it, but it's tolerable so far and is still far out weighed by the benefits. I am 67 years old, have had MS for over 20 years, was recently dxed as SP after a 2 year long progressive spell and am currently on Rituxan. Thanks to the Rituxan and the bike, I am making a significant comeback right now!

Stronger than ever,

Comment

Check out ambucs to see if there is a chapter near you. They may be able to outfit you with an Amtryke JT2000 for free (possible wait-list).

https://www.ambucs.org/riders/adult-riders/

Comment

Working...
              X